Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where should I start my fort in the new version?  (Read 611 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Where should I start my fort in the new version?
« on: October 30, 2007, 10:47:00 am »

Ive had to abandon 2 fortress now. Im messed up still. Where should I start my fort to make farming easy? Also what if theres no stone materials on the map? .. or wood?

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Re: Where should I start my fort in the new version?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 10:51:00 am »

The best spot:

* No aquifer. An aquifer is an underground level of water that makes it hard to dig any deeper than that. You can spot them with ~~~ levels on your settlement location map, like 'Dolomite    ~~~~~~~' means there's an aquifer at that level and when you try to get under that your dwarves will go 'Miner stops digging: damp earth' or something.

* Lots of trees. You can build all kinds of crazy stuff out of lumber and it's handy all around. Either that or bring lots of logs with you.

* Somewhere with sand, peat, loam. You can dig out a one-floor fortress and plant farms anywhere, no need for mud, no need to haul stone out, no nothing. Just dig a hole and put a farm in. It's incredibly easy to farm now.

That's it! That's all you need, really. If you want stuff made of stone, dig down until you hit stone instead of dirt. You can build crafts and all the buildings made of lumber though and don't have to put it in a stockpile first.. so I tend to use a ton of it.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 10:59:00 am »

Oh, thanks..well yeah until now, Ive tried to start my forst near hills or mountains...never had any trees nearby, even tough the map description said that there are trees...probably because of the z-levels its hard to spot trees now, basically 70% of the map was open space on the staring level.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 11:24:00 am »

I've had the same trouble getting trees starting near a mountain. The map shows plenty of trees right nearby my starting point, but when I actually start the game I have all this nice clear grass space below them mountain. I can't get a single friggin' tree to spawn when I want to live in a damn cave in the side of a big rock.
This is not a signature.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 12:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tormy:
<STRONG>basically 70% of the map was open space on the staring level.</STRONG>
Go down a level or two. As you get nearer to sea level you should find plenty trees  :)

What annoyed me in the place I'd left my fortress in was that at the bottom of my mountain was a crevasse leading right down to the chasm...with about 8 troglodytes, 15 batmen and a few giant rats wandering around outside. Although my dwarves were two levels above them further up the mountain, the damn vile things were between my dwarves and both the tree and water supply  :(

Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

cliffjeff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 12:26:00 pm »

yeah, I too got a treeless start in a 'forested' area.  Nice to hear that farming is easy under the right conditions now... though at the same time, designing elaborate floodgate farms is one of the biggest joys of DF =p

[ October 30, 2007: Message edited by: cliffjeff ]

Eruonen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 01:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cliffjeff:
<STRONG>yeah, I too got a treeless start in a 'forested' area.  Nice to hear that farming is easy under the right conditions now... though at the same time, designing elaborate floodgate farms is one of the biggest joys of DF =p

[ October 30, 2007: Message edited by: cliffjeff ]</STRONG>

You can still try using floodgates as a personal challenge. It's just not required.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 01:38:00 pm »

Yup. I was too lazy to mine out a soil section so I made a traditional floodgate farm. Opened a wall into a swamp with an open floodgate placed, then let it drain until a thin layer of 1/7 water was everywhere. Worked perfectly.

Though unfortunately it seems swamps in my biome dry out during some seasons :/

But I have heard mud is permenant anyway so I should no longer need to spread water.

[ October 30, 2007: Message edited by: Lightning4 ]