Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mah Xbox 360 is dying  (Read 1601 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mah Xbox 360 is dying
« on: August 02, 2013, 04:58:52 pm »

I have one of the old models of Xbox 360. It keeps overheating. At first it took a while, but now it can't run more than a couple of minutes on the dashboard without powering down. Previously I tried lightly blowing out the vents, which improved things for a bit, but was evidently not a permanent solution.

Note that the Xbox does not actually get hot to the touch, and it's in a well ventilated area.

Does anyone know what the problem and solution may be?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Mah Xbox 360 is dying
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 05:25:43 pm »

The only thing I can say is to lay it down on its side and make sure there's nothing on top of it. If that doesn't solve the problem, or you've already done that, you can send it in for repairs if the warranty is still good. There are some third party businesses that will take a look at them too, I know my local game store does but I don't know about major chains. If not, you could try an aftermarket fan. I know they're out there but I don't know a whole lot about them; and if your warranty isn't up already it definitely will be once you put one in.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 07:20:37 pm »

It's out of warranty. I'm still hesitant to open it up myself because I'm not a computer expert and I hear the Xbox can be touchy.

On its side, standing up, with nothing in a foot+ radius - the problem is definitely internal.

I'm really hesitant to put any money into fixing it because I use it for something like two games; usually less than 16 hours a week total.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 10:12:06 am »

Buy a cheap fan and turn it on the xbox when ever you want to play it works.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 10:16:21 am »

You're going to have to open the case if you want to remove a meaningful quantity of dust.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 11:33:10 am »

Buy a cheap fan and turn it on the xbox when ever you want to play it works.
The Xbox won't run for more than 2 minutes; I don't think this will fix the problem.

You're going to have to open the case if you want to remove a meaningful quantity of dust.
Okay. I take it the problem is most likely dust obscuring the ventilation?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 11:35:38 am »

The ventilation dust would be the bigger problem, but any of the dust in it will fuck up the intended heat distribution. Remove as much dust as possible.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 11:42:40 am »

I shit you not: my brother wrapped his in a wet towel to play it. Worked, but it does increase your risk of death by electricity.
This is a blank sig.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 11:46:46 am »

The towel trick works, but ensures that it will brick sooner rather than later.

The towel trick relies upon re-melting the solder that causes the RROD through extreme heat, but obviously this will ruin just about everything else in time.

I do not recommend this for yours, which just sounds like it is overheating. Please try removing the dust before destroying your Xbox.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 11:56:03 pm »

I fix Xbox consoles. They're not that hard to work on, and more resilient than you're thinking.

I'm still hesitant to open it up
Too late, you must. The 360 sufferers from multiple compounded issues, but the root cause is heat. If you don't do something soon it WILL fail.

I'd recommend you actually "future-proof" it against inevitable hardware failure:
-Uni-clamp (BEST x-clamp solution, hands down. Other solutions can be as bad as the stock ones)
-Heat spreaders
-Increase stock fan voltage
-Additional intake fans

If it fails I recommend an oven "reflow" over any other DIY reflow solutions for the most even heating and cooling possible to minimize damage and warping. The towel trick will work for a little while but warp the shit out of the board.

I'd recommend these kits:
http://xbox-experts.com/stores_shop.php
Get the most all-inclusive kit you need for what you already have on hand. Probably the 25$ kit with tools included.

Don't worry about the price, I tried to assemble my own uniclamp kit for cheaper only to find unless there's a place that sells all that in one location with free shipping, they're really not gouging on price.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 02:12:14 pm »

It's out of warranty. I'm still hesitant to open it up myself because I'm not a computer expert and I hear the Xbox can be touchy.

On its side, standing up, with nothing in a foot+ radius - the problem is definitely internal.

I'm really hesitant to put any money into fixing it because I use it for something like two games; usually less than 16 hours a week total.

Problem with having the 360 standing up is it blocks the biggest air vent on the thing.

Its easy to clean the insides of an xbox and doesnt require messing with the internals to clean places where dust could be,

Also does the thing flash 2 lights to indicate overheating or 3?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 09:18:25 pm »

Opened it up, removed all the dust. Still dies within a few minutes idling.

Next up I plan to work with my dad to remount the processors. Make sure to let me know if this is a terrible idea or something.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 04:07:34 pm »

Problem with having the 360 standing up is it blocks the biggest air vent on the thing.

Its easy to clean the insides of an xbox and doesnt require messing with the internals to clean places where dust could be,

Also does the thing flash 2 lights to indicate overheating or 3?
two for overheating, three for heating and hardware failure