Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Future Fantasy elements to DF  (Read 1726 times)

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Future Fantasy elements to DF
« on: July 31, 2013, 10:40:55 am »

I think masterwork DF either has some magic in it. Did toady say if he was planning to add these kinds of elements? Or are they strictly for the modders. Im not sure if this would fall under the kind of game mechanics he feels he needs to add or not. This is a 'fantasy' game. So it fits.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future Fantasy elements to DF
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 11:04:20 am »

Magic is a planned feature, and there is some amount of magic in the game already - necromancy being the most obvious right now. The frameworks for this and other features are capable of more magic than the stock game currently does, so many, if not most, mods add some kind of magic to the game. More magic will enter the game as time goes by.

This linkhas a lot of the plans that are considered for future versions, though it isn't updated anymore, in favor of this page.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 11:07:37 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_single.html

"MAGIC: There are no specific decisions nailed down yet, although we've thought about it a lot. It's probably best to go for a very general system here, as in the first Armok attempt. Then the world generator and entities can decide what they want to use from what's available. Early efforts might be to make dwarven artifacts more interesting and to increase the power and variability of enemy leaders, rather than focusing on traditional spell-casting adventurers."

"ARTIFACT ARC: Special items made by the dwarves aren't very interesting right now, and there's not much for an adventurer to do with them. These objects should have magical powers and they should have a huge influence on the actions of entities that come into contact with them. Even if your adventurer can't make use of a particular artifact, you could arrange for buyers in the nobility, and use those opportunitites to get a home or good entity standing, for instance."

"ARTIFACT MAGIC, (Future): An early angle on magic that should find its way into the game. Although ultimately influenced by world parameters, stock DF will likely focus on rare, unique, somewhat mysterious effects without tables, to the extent that that's possible. Some cliches are probably unavoidable, he he he. The artifact process is likely to be changed somewhat to align with this, and artifacts should be created in world-generation and elsewhere during play, though a good player artifact should still have high importance."

"ETCHING, (Future): Etching on items. Could lead to magical runes type stuff."

"WIZARD STUFF, (Future): This bloat was just to remind me about books and all kinds of magic stuff arc."

These are the points directly relating to magic in the full devlog, there's also a bunch of comments throughout the various DFtalks that I cba digging up. Magic is most certainly planned though. I strongly recommend everyone who hasn't to give the old devlog a quick read-through, it gives a good idea of the scope of what's planned to come the next 20 years of development ;P

/ninjaed

Bytt

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PAINTS:THIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 05:35:24 pm »

Oh man, I'd love some bizarre artifacts with passive effects. Fields that slow things down, fields that reverse gravity, thrones that train random skills, mugs that emanate cold, barrels that have a bottomless storage capacity, earrings that contain a demonic portal, a boot which periodically spews forth rats, a soap statue that emanates an aura of cleanliness, bins that produce mist, statues that instill pain, statues that attract animals, hats that force beard growth, large gems that speed crop growth, etc. That's a whole bunch of coding, though.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 05:59:05 pm »

mugs that emanate cold

Dwarf Fortress: now with permanently refrigerated booze glasses

Approved by Armok
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 07:14:04 pm »

mugs that emanate cold

Technically, such a mug would absorb heat and not emanate cold (since cold is the absence of heat). Such a mug would absorb heat and then pump it somewhere else (think of a refrigerator or an AC, but mostly a refrigerator). Sounds alright, except the mug itself would be hot even though whatever's inside is cool (think of the coils at the back of the ref), and once in a while there'd be a mug that would induce hypothermia whenever you hold it.

I approve of this theoretical mug.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 05:05:03 am »

mugs that emanate cold

Technically, such a mug would absorb heat and not emanate cold (since cold is the absence of heat). Such a mug would absorb heat and then pump it somewhere else (think of a refrigerator or an AC, but mostly a refrigerator). Sounds alright, except the mug itself would be hot even though whatever's inside is cool (think of the coils at the back of the ref), and once in a while there'd be a mug that would induce hypothermia whenever you hold it.

Seems pretty weaponizable.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 05:33:36 am »

mugs that emanate cold

yo magic don't care 'bout science

(like seriously explain nether wood)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 05:41:11 am »

mugs that emanate cold

yo magic don't care 'bout science

(like seriously explain nether wood)

Excessively efficient extraction of ammonium nitrate or urea from the mud and stone surrounding and catalyzed within the wood with enough insulation that there're minimum heat leakage :D

( Yeah, that don't explain why it does that in crafted form, though )

Bytt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 06:01:11 pm »

So, radioactive materials when? Not very "fantasy", but I totally want to weaponize it. Maybe make a giant statue of Okuu out of pitchblende. Force dwarves to wallow in it. Etcetera.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 06:07:23 pm »

So, radioactive materials when? Not very "fantasy", but I totally want to weaponize it. Maybe make a giant statue of Okuu out of pitchblende. Force dwarves to wallow in it. Etcetera.

radio active materials -> making dwarves grow extra arms -> mutant miner

and the circle is closed

also weaponize
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

Bytt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 06:10:03 pm »

radio active materials -> making dwarves grow extra arms -> mutant miner

and the circle is closed

also weaponize

Radiation isn't that dangerous. Generally all you need is a shower, unless you've ingeste- Ah, whatever, it's a fantasy game.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 03:15:03 am »

Pitchblende isn't that dangerous. We need the reactors for actually dangerous radiation. Uran/plutonium/polonium for the win.

Bytt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 11:25:02 am »

Pitchblende isn't that dangerous. We need the reactors for actually dangerous radiation. Uran/plutonium/polonium for the win.

You're totally correct, though sustained exposure will cause problems and is kind of the thing I'm going for.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 11:41:04 am »

You're totally correct, though sustained exposure will cause problems and is kind of the thing I'm going for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_glass but, this'd be awesome :D