Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing "Age of [race]" in fort mode?  (Read 683 times)

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
Changing "Age of [race]" in fort mode?
« on: August 04, 2013, 07:02:46 pm »

So I just genned a new world, and was quite satisfied with the results, mainly temperate with a small pocket of evil in the middle, some rather nicely named areas, ("The ambiguous ocean", "The island of ravens", etc). But I came across one little problem: we had jumped right from the Age of Heroes to the Age of Elves. It probably has something to do with the fact that we only had three rather smallish mountains for the dwarves, and the main continent is covered in forests, but it still ticks me off. On the other hand, this seems like a good opportunity to claim the land in the name of dwarvenkind. Would it be possible to make a big enough dent in the elves population in fortress mode, or would I have to go into adventure mode instead?

The funny thing about this that I genned the world hoping for the age of humans or dwarves, but now have to deal with this world filled tree hugging pointy eared jerks.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Changing "Age of [race]" in fort mode?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 07:06:28 pm »

Adventuring mode don't works properly in population reduction, last I checked, non-historical population get regenned. No idea if fortress mode siege draws from population properly at present time.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 07:07:09 pm »

Set Child:0 and Baby:0 in the raws, then mass produce dwarves. 

when you have a few hundred, do it again at a different place with the pop cap set REALLY low.

Eventually you will produce enough dwarves to outcompete the elves.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 07:09:50 pm »

Set Child:0 and Baby:0 in the raws, then mass produce dwarves. 

when you have a few hundred, do it again at a different place with the pop cap set REALLY low.

Eventually you will produce enough dwarves to outcompete the elves.

I'll try that, thanks.

EDIT: to make matters worse, the only dwarven civ is named "The Leafy Tomes", XD
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 07:13:06 pm by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 07:19:32 pm »

well it just means the elves are dominant. i am not sure if that merely depends on population though. I thought you could completely depopulate a species in adventure mode though?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 07:22:42 pm »

well it just means the elves are dominant. i am not sure if that merely depends on population though. I thought you could completely depopulate a species in adventure mode though?

Used to be you could in 40d, something about changing how historical figures were treated made adventure mode glitch and reload non-historical population when you goes away and comes back. Though I've only heard it spoken for cities.

Back in 40d, you pretty much had infinite well of enemies, supposedly that don't happens anymore but I've not seen anyone test it or comment on it.