Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RiftGuarded, the Arrow of Adventures (Succession game)  (Read 788 times)

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
RiftGuarded, the Arrow of Adventures (Succession game)
« on: August 02, 2013, 11:04:06 am »

A succession fort run by Riften Guard to have a little fun and see what happens when random people from the page do a succession fort for the first time. Expecting a lot of casualties.
Generated a fairly small world at year 5 to see how we do, maybe we'll do a trickier fortress some time.

List of players (and order):
Me (turn over)
Dylan
Cawa
Daniel
Darragh
(order may change)

Fortress location.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Couldn't resist the name

Dear diary.
In the 5th year of the new age after I made the mistake of comparing the queen to a goblin within earshot, our merciful king Dumed gave me and 6 other guards a choice. Leave with minimal supplies and set up a fortress for the glory of The Hollow Tomes, or death by firing squad. Since the incompetent fools in the marksdwarf squad didn't know the difference between a crossbow and a hammer, we decided that starving to death or being eaten by goblins would at least grant a faster death than being bludgeoned to death by a featherwood crossbow over several years.

Since we needed to be stingy due to losing most of our money gambling the previous night, I opted for ore and fuel to make our tools with and spend the savings on other important supplies. This will set back our mining by a few days but ultimately gives us a lot more supply budget. I, "Karp" Lelgaserith, will not be ripped off.

Immediately after embarking, I begin setting up a furnace to smelt some picks and an axe. Our resident artist and engraver makes some quality equipment and "Lord Hooch" (self proclaimed, as I've never seen him provide proof of his title) proceeds to remove entire walls with a single swing. quickly, he becomes a blur in the tunnel beyond and I brush dirt out of my beard while trying to maintain my dignity.
I send someone after him with a floor plan of the fortress layout for now and have a meager office made for me to get to work in. I set up a farm with a variation of crops in order to keep the population happy since even plump helmet gets old fast.

Spring ends without much happening other than the usual, although I was amused to see several fish throw themselves off the waterfall and shatter on the rocks below.

Damn elves haven't shown up yet so I'm cutting down as many damn trees as I can before they poke their noses in and demand we stop. (elf sieges really aren't a lot of fun.)

Summer has a migrant wave which ends up being two damn fishermen and the milkman. I make it clear I have no patience for either trade and assign them to picking plants for the mean time to boost our farming industry, which beats having those bastards sleep all day at the river. The other fisherman can... Oh I don't care. He seems to have an interest in the gems so I'll let him wander around for now. We're living in a damn hole in the ground so having something shiny to trade would be a plus.

Autumn ends with- Oh gods. More migrants. A miner and someone who "saw a dead body once" so I'm making him the chief medical dwarf for now because the other 6 migrants don't know shit. Johnny West has been giving me trouble the last few months. I'm expecting him to try something before the year ends but I'll get him good!
I've set up a training room and finished up the basics but it's been slow progress with only 10 dwarves before the end of autumn.

Merchants finally arrived. Welcome to RiftGuarded, hope you like mushrooms mixed with eggs! I get some meager supplies but a pick and some assorted goods is all I managed to get since I failed to get the metal industry started up in time. (We need to start making Menacing Iron Spike, it has a high trade value so we can start buying out the entire caravan.)
I get the feeling they just wanted to get the hell out because everyone's dirty and looking crazy from lack of sleep.

Winter resulted in our armory and metal industry starting up due to sufficient resources and migrants to get something going. Still working on getting gear for poor Rodyn, but once he's equipped and the spear room is started up (just missing mechanisms now), he will be more than a match for the goblins I'm expecting soon.

Just as spring came around, Johnny West calls a vote of no confidence. I'm kicked out of my position as overseer due to "circumstantial evidence" but have been allowed to keep my job both with the books, and the brewing. I'll get that son of a kobold for this, I swear. See how he likes it when I raise the taxes on food...

Summary:
The turkey farm is going strong now and greatly supplements our regular diet.
Farms going alright. Failing to get a variety of seeds so I have several dwarves full time harvesting random vegetation outside to try get a few of each crop growing for variety in drinks.
Wood supply is fairly strong but won't last beyond a huge order. Will need more cut down.
Drinks and food are hovering at a decent level but will go higher once more above ground seeds are located.
Have most of the workshops set up with stockpiles nearby as relevant, food and drinks are separated with seeds located near the farms.
huge amount of ore and coal located on layer below F5.
Lever near the armor stand is for the spear room, finish connecting the spears to it once mechanisms are made.
Focusing on rock pots instead of barrels since we have an abundance of stone beneath us and they store twice as much.
No strange moods so far which is good because it means we hopefully won't be sieged before we're ready to defend ourselves. All else fails, I have a LOT of doors set up so we should be able to lock them out of anywhere important.
Let's avoid "candy (un)mountain" for a while. I have no defences for below us anyway so even the caverns will be a problem if left unsecured once opened.
No lollygaggin`

If you want, feel free to join the discussion on https://www.facebook.com/RiftenGuard88.

I now pass my turn over to the next overseer once they get the save file from me, may Armok have mercy on our fort.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RiftGuarded, the Arrow of Adventures (Succession game)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 11:44:12 pm »

The previous overseer had software troubles and the fort was reverted to the end of spacespinner's turn for a quick second turn while it's sorted out.

I'm back baby! Who knew a time machine powered by plump helmets and elf noses would actually work? I managed to thwart Johnny West's scheme by setting an elephant onto him so I'll manage another year as overseer while he rests in the hospital with broken legs. The second year shall now play out (again).
Apparently I'm to believe that out of the hundreds of plants I've harvested off the surface, none of them can be used as seeds for our above ground farms. I beg to differ but what can I do about it. Guess we'll just keep throwing them into the still and see what happens.

I decide to harvest the water for our own means so we'll create an underground river in order to allow safe drinking water, as well as water powered machinery.

Suddenly in the distance: MIGRANTS! Sweet, sweet, unpaid labor! While I was less than happy with the previous wave, we have smiths this time, in addition to master masons, craftsmen, architects and mechanics. With our productive force almost doubled, we can finally get to action.

While I'm happy with the ability to lock down any area of the fortress at a moments notice, until we get a trained unit I want to be able to seal the entrance of the fortress and thus constructed a series of bridges on the entrance. Due to miscommunication with the foreman, no channel was actually dug out and so they're effectively walls for now. On the plus side, they should flatten anything under them if needed.

A mood! Oh drats, it's a possession. Now we get a useless piece of crap instead of a legendary dwarf and it's a- lovely, a pig tail loincloth. Thank you ancestors, we really needed one of those.

The elves arrived and while I wanted nothing less than to feed them to a cave troll, they had a supply of sun berry seeds. Once negotations failed, I negotiated with force instead. Hopefully they'll reconsider my offer next time. On the plus side, we got sun berry alcohol now. Possibly a siege as well but unlikely.

With renewed vigor, I penetrate the caverns and discover a winding passage within down to the second layer caverns. For now I shall settle for defending this entrance with traps and doors, in case of eldritch horrors from the dawn of time. or just crundles doing crundle things. Same thing with no military yet.

Mid summer brings with it 8 more migrants. A master metalcrafter, a weapon smith, butchers farmers and engravers. Nothing huge, just more mouths to feed.

Rodyn is fully clad in battle armor and I have assigned 4 people to train under him. Installed hive system to further supplement our food and alcohol industry. To further our artifact collection, a woodworker has entered a fay mood and produced a... Cedar scepter. With a picture of the artifact loin cloth on it.  Only two artifacts in and I already have a bad feeling about this. Artifact armor would be nice, but not if the leggings have loin cloths on the outside.

More kobolds have shown up. The hunters on duty shot one in the lung, propelling it several spaces into the wall. No more kobolds.

Disaster! Three dwarves died in the spear room somehow. Turns out none of them considered wearing a helmet and paid the price. Let that be a lesson: Safety First, my drunk crazy friends.

9 more migrants arrived towards the end of Autumn. A surgeon and a mason were the only useful ones.  Rest can go in the military later once gear is made.

Dwarven traders arrived and I traded a portion of our large booze supply for much needed resources. We now have an abundance of leather and cloth in case of strange moods.
ANOTHER dwarf is taken by a mood and we get a pyrite grate, encrusted with oval cut pyrites. Low value, but we now have an artifact gem setter.

Large order of menacing iron spikes have been made for later overseers to trade with due to the high value and ease of production. Strongly recommend more made as required. Set  up a new meeting room in order to engrave it and facilitate a mist room. The hypnotic mist should stop them murdering each other for a while.

Suddenly: AMBUSH! Rodyn leads the charge and scores the first kill. Two more goblins go down without  any casualties other than a few animals. The remaining three stupidly wander into our traps and get caught for the amusement of others.

Winter ends with me finishing setting up the mist room in the main meeting area (all but last few steps )and a miner gets trapped on the wrong side (south a fair bit) without the wall being made into a fortification to drain the water yet. Problem for next overseer because year ended.

to the next overseer:
The bridges over entrance are quite effective at defense if it comes to it, downside is they kill everyone when activated so keep dwarves in a burrow first.
Stole from the elves when they refused to trade, might not cause siege but be aware just in case.
wall off the part mentioned in the above screenshot BEFORE channeling to the river or we all die. Make sure to let a dwarf engrave a fortification on the block at the bottom of the screen FIRST. Keep someone on the pump at all times and if possible install a grate so we can shut it off if needed.
Two entrances into cavern, one is ceiling to drop animals through so they explore, the other is for dwarves and is currently blocked. Both trapped and doors.
Several prisoners, be inventive.
Once fortification is carved, channel last block to river and keep dwarf on pump at all times. Room is carved out below so build up can occur safely during time of rest.
Expecting goblin sieges soon, definitely more ambushes. Keep military on hand.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.