Advanced search  

Author Topic: YATST  (Read 1844 times)

_Ivan_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
YATST
« on: August 03, 2013, 10:08:51 pm »

Yet Another Tantrum Spiral Thread.

So, I fired up DF again after many months and got back into my epic fortress. 357 dwarves, dragon breeding program, hydra breeding program, 2 pages of artifacts, 3 imprisoned bronze colossuses; colossus; colossi?!? Magma spike on first cavern, with water and a dwarf with somewhere near 55+ children (before she died) http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114393.msg3510721#msg3510721...

Now, one spring after I loaded DF 3 old dwarves decided life had been full and died of satisfaction (old age). No problem, old dwarves die peacefully. Except a few minutes later I noticed half the fort is showing the blinking red down arrow of disgruntlement. "Uh oh" I thought, this could be..... epic. 350+ dwarves all acting like they've just been told, "Were replacing all the booze with healthy nutritious carrot juice!". Indeed, there is a lot of juice in this fortress, although very little carrot juice.

The entire fort shows up as miserable except a good half of my military who are either content or the group of 5 who are actually ecstatic from all the slaughtering of fellow dwarves. I believe they see it as a way to get more booze for themselves so who am I to judge? Half the fort is melancholy and dying of thirst (that's a dwarven crime with a stockpile full of booze) the other half is in the hospital being cured by medics who randomly go insane mid operation and decide to make intestinal balloon animals. Still, I won't judge them, I see it as art and that could give someone a nice thought.

The fort IS in bad shape though. With only 10 free coffins available I've set my mason to work making new ones but I expect he will have a tough time keeping up with demand. My dining hall is in shambles and I've deleted the meeting hall zone there. There is no point everyone watching the executions, it only gives them another bad thought. The bridges around my trade depot are destroyed. At least there won't be any snatchers slipping in and I'm safe from sieges. I've considered releasing the 3 coloss.....bronze guys and let them help speed things up but recapturing them might prove to be problematic. And now with my one and only animal trainer dead I have 2 dragons and 2 hydra who will eventually forget their training and decide that dwarves look better wearing charcoal than tattered clothes. Not to mention all the dwarves currently sitting in the pen just waiting to go berserk and try to punch out a dragon. Never plan ahead, it only ruins the fun.

I could use some ideas to slow, stop or even speed up the spiral. I'm tired of ordering the death of so many berserk dwarves. It is probably too late but I think the fort will survive if only with 5 bloodthirsty marksmen. Currently at a population of 233 and dwindling. Any thoughts?

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: YATST
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 10:57:01 pm »

Pray for a vampire and make a blood alter(well) that will serve to reinvigorate(condemn to a life of endless toil) your keystone workers, while turning all other dwarfs and migrants into an in-mass dwarf blood farm. Best way to save tantrums ever. Has the benefit of undeads not bothering you (although, I've never tested if ghosts will bother vampires... could be worth some !!science!!)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 11:01:41 pm by wooks »
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 12:21:07 am »

I love tantrum spirals. The recovery process is my favorite part of DF. You have (1) No labor, (2) Corpses everywhere, and (3) insufficient coffins. Beware the ghosts!

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 12:38:16 am »

If my experience is any guide, you're due for a five-squad siege and a megabeast here shortly.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 01:02:42 am »

Find a totally jaded Dwarf with no friends. Lock him in a room, quantum stockpile lots of food and booze and rocks in there, seal him up in there and have him just churn out mugs or something for the rest of eternity.

Bonus points if you can have him drop the mugs back out into the fort somehow, and more bonus points if he's got levers that do stuff in there too.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 07:12:57 am »

PTW. I've never saved a spiral, so I can't really give any advice.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 08:37:00 am »

Whenever I hear of fortresses with hundreds of dorfs I wonder how people can manage them. Unless you modded dorf corpses into a building material...
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 09:10:56 am »

Pray for a vampire and make a blood alter(well) that will serve to reinvigorate(condemn to a life of endless toil) your keystone workers, while turning all other dwarfs and migrants into an in-mass dwarf blood farm. Best way to save tantrums ever. Has the benefit of undeads not bothering you (although, I've never tested if ghosts will bother vampires... could be worth some !!science!!)

Do vampires actually need to drink? I'm not sure, as I have a rather poor memory,  but I think I remember reading that while vampires will drink blood from sleeping dwarves if given the chance, they won't actually suffer from not drinking it. As for the ghosts, I'm pretty sure they will bother vampires, causing unhappy thoughts and eventually driving them insane, but thats what slabs are used to prevent, yes? Of course, I have no experience with Vampires nor Tantrum spirals, so I suppose I'm not much use here.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 02:40:24 pm »

Assign war animals to everyone. They will tear berserk Dwarves apart and their deaths will also have a tragic impact on the psyche of their owners, resulting in a further accelerated collapse.

If you want to recover, take your most apathetic soldiers alongside your Fort's loners [no friends, enemies or family] into a secluded safe house away from the rest of the Fort's calamity. Have them socialize, swim in mist generators and dine in a legendary dining room with as best living accommodations possible to get them all ecstatic fast. Then you reclaim.

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 02:19:07 am »

Do vampires actually need to drink? I'm not sure, as I have a rather poor memory,  but I think I remember reading that while vampires will drink blood from sleeping dwarves if given the chance, they won't actually suffer from not drinking it. As for the ghosts, I'm pretty sure they will bother vampires, causing unhappy thoughts and eventually driving them insane, but thats what slabs are used to prevent, yes? Of course, I have no experience with Vampires nor Tantrum spirals, so I suppose I'm not much use here.

Yeah, they do. If you have one get found out they get locked away by the fortress-guard and die of dehydration. But it's not as if breeding dwarfs is hard or takes very long.
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 03:48:32 am »

Yeah, they do. If you have one get found out they get locked away by the fortress-guard and die of dehydration.

Does this relate to vampires? Because they don't dehydrate. Vampires do not need to drink water or alcohol and i'm not aware of substantiated claims that blood withdrawal actually hurts them. I have a vampire sitting in a 1x1 danger room for almost two years now. He hasn't drained a citizen since he got locked up there, he's not showing any health status apart from 'tired' (caused by trying to do military training without a proper training plan) and all his thoughts are 'is quite content'.

If your locked-away dwarfs die of dehydration, they're likely normal citizens framed by the vampire to take the fall for their crimes.

Trollhammaren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 04:31:22 am »

Vampires get thirsty from not drinking blood (in adventure mode you actually get a red "thirsty"), but it's well known they don't die of thirst.