Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dinocide! - 100% classical 8-bit inspired adventure  (Read 1509 times)

Boggard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dinocide! - 100% classical 8-bit inspired adventure
« on: November 22, 2015, 11:51:11 pm »

While this is long way away from  being similar to DF, but is certainly does feels like a classical old school game, at least to mee :) Hopefully you guys think the same!

Some screenshots:

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYsbjigfGYA?rel=0

Greenlight page
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=534394646
(Successfully greenlit!)

Description (from steam page)
The protagonist has to save his love interest who was kidnapped by an evil and mysterious Dinosaur God. You are accompanied by your own tame Dinosaurs, who act as a mounts, brother in arms and a true friends. With their help, you can jump higher, run faster, swim, fly and do a lot more things that an ordinary primitive man would never be able to do by himself. To reach your goal, you will travel together through the lands inhabited by ancient creatures and unknown dangers.

Features (from steam page)
  • Dinosaur mounts make you faster, stronger and offer a variety of tactical abilities.
  • Non-linear progression by different routes leads to varied ways to complete your journey.
  • A multitude of different biomes to visit - deserts, jungles, forests, lava caves, oceans, ice plains and more!
  • Weird creatures. Ok, fine, we know about the dinosaurs. But millions of years ago there could be something else we have no idea about. SAS trooper skeletons, for example.
  • Unique time/life mechanic. One bar shared for both the time limit on the level and life of your character.
  • Full controller & Steam Big Picture support.
  • Classic action. Don't think. Don't feel. Just go. React. Kill. Jump. Eat. Ride. Like in the good old times! You are not here to watch a movie!
  • The unmatched fun and drive of an 8-bit era game!

You can download Dinocide demo from the official website - http://dinocide.com
If you think it looks cool you can also preorder the game - https://atomictorch.com/Store
And also feel free to visit our forums - http://forums.atomictorch.com/

So, there you have it :)
I hope you guys are into this kind of games!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 06:03:19 am by Boggard »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Dinocide! - 100% classical 8-bit inspired adventure
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 12:00:57 am »

Can we as a society please stop referring to pixel art as "8-bit?"

As for the actual game, dunno, not a platformer kind of guy.  I guess the scenery objects like the blue anemone could do with a slightly lower value to better sink into the background, when I first looked at it I assumed it was an obstacle you couldn't pass through.
Shoes...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 02:57:29 am »

That is categorically 16-bit.

Also, interesting maybe? I mean, we've all heard the old school spiel far too many times but if you're not tired of SNES-like platformers yet this one looks non-ugly and has dinosaurs.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 03:03:34 am »

This reminds me a lot of the Bonk series. It might be fun.

Also, I cannot unsee the Alot.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 03:08:04 am »

This reminds me a lot of the Bonk series. It might be fun.

(Not that I actually see an Alot on this page.)
I know it's considered bad manners to make a forum post that consists entirely of an image, but this was worth it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 03:09:40 am by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 03:44:24 am »

I'm not really sure what an alot is, but in the top-left screenshot there is something that looks similar to that image, over on the right.

As for the game, I like the art style! Reminds me of old 80s-90s gaming magazines I have lying around somewhere, like Sega games and such. It could be fun, even if I don't play that many games these days. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Boggard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 01:19:57 am »

Can we as a society please stop referring to pixel art as "8-bit?"
It's not "8-bit", it's "inspired by 8-bit" games. And not just the graphics. Gameplay as well. The game attempts to recreate the same feeling that classic NES games had.

Haha, that's true :)
It is alot!

I'm not really sure what an alot is, but in the top-left screenshot there is something that looks similar to that image, over on the right.
Yup, on the first screenshot.

As for the game, I like the art style! Reminds me of old 80s-90s gaming magazines I have lying around somewhere, like Sega games and such. It could be fun, even if I don't play that many games these days. :)
Great, then this game was able to achieve its goals :)

Boggard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 05:41:07 am »

That was quick! :)

We just passed the greenlight!

A bit more info: https://atomictorch.com/Post/Id1129/Dinocide-has-been-greenlit