Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cavesilvers -- 22nd Malachite, 553, MidS -- Unintentionally Aptly Named n00bfort  (Read 1103 times)

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

5th Opal,  552,  Mid-Winter See Below
22nd Malachite, 553, Mid-Summer http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=129411.msg4463727#msg4463727

```
Dorf`d Dorfs
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
```
Hallo, all.

Firstly allow me explain to you that I am a nub, a n00b, a nUblet even.  This is my first fortress that has outlived Embark year (the last one before this being months ago, they died of thirst once the water froze).  I am not very good at this game, but have decided that perhaps that creates an interesting perspective.  Additionally, I now have a crippling fear of food/booze shortages so I'm p.well stocked (379 drink and 921 other, 1870[?] food units total for 73 dorfs at time of writing) so my invariably !Fun! ending will probably be mildly entertaining.

I intend to both post and dramatize particularly pivotal or epic combat lawgs.  Crude MS Paint interpretations vague plausibility as well.

Advice is welcome!  <3  Criticism, too   :'(  real love is tough love here are Cavesilvers.

Oh, and I'm starting this two years in (my second visit from the Dorf caravan has just left).  It's a small world with 550 years of history before I started this fortress.

~~~
I will take Dorf requests but would like to make clear my current NPC naming conventions: if they are a military dorf, they are called something to designate their combat class-- Axy the Axedwarf, Crackshot the Marksdwarf etc.  Additionally I've named 6 of the original 7 dorfs after iRL friends and myself. I will overRide military names for Bay12ers, but not the other custom nicks.
~~~

5th Opal,  552,  Mid-Winter

I am Expedition Leader Admorul, and this is my second winter at Cavesilvers.  As my days have grown long and boring, and the engravings on my walls cease to amuse me through the long nights after little but watching my Marksdwarfs train, I have decided to set down the history of this fortress upon granite that it might be remembered.

But really, I'm bored.  Under I shall attempt to inscribe my best representation of some parts of the fortress.

The dormitory; my room is the engraved one. It ever expands to meet the needs of the freeloaders migrants.
This cacophony of resounding iron and coupled with the heat of the forges constitutes our fortress's heart.  Lignite is made to coke, and coke smelts galena and lignite.  With galena we make silver and lead; with lead we make the trinkets with which we trade for the leather, thread, and cheese we do not make ourselves.  Ducim Ducimrakas is eternally creating lead earrings, crowns, scepters, and other junk goods.
Captain Lebesid, or 'Speary' as the men call him, is probably watching the entrance with our war dogs right now.  It is the Fluid Spears' turn to guard the doorway, but my Marksdwarfs and I, the Waning Daggers (I will never understand why they chose this name) will pick up the slack next month.  I have us on an alternating sequence, one squad trains for a month while the other keeps at least two people on the door at all times.  So far we've only had to mince Kobolds so it was no issue but one of the bastards did kill a pup some time ago.  And she was so cute.   :'(
Earlier today, the Waning Daggers and I were drilling.  The men are general louts but I like them well enough for what they are.  Two are rangers by trade, the others found less clean work to hone their Marskdwarmanship before coming here though.  None of it means a damn thing to me, though: they're my Marksdwarfs now, and Armok take anyone who tries to take them from me.

I will end today's writing now.  I need to get back to thinking of things to do with silver besides flasks for the men, which we already have of silver in duplicate, and war hammers, which we've little need for. Hmmm...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 08:55:38 pm by Azrayel »
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

Dwarf Kitty

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeking owner to adopt
    • View Profile

Welcome to the wonderful world of DF, and Bay12!   :)   Read the wiki and ask questions here!

Yep, dehydration is one of the most common ways for a fort to die a quick death.  I've learned to buy up booze from every caravan early on, and start in on farming and brewing quickly.  Bonus with buying up caravan booze:  More variety for your dorfs so they don't complain about the same old stuff, and you get free barrels for your own uses once drained.

Make sure you set up enough stockpile space for booze.  Dorfs drink straight from the barrels, monopolizing one for some time.  Have enough barrels (not liquid units, the barrels) for a quarter to half of your population.

Interesting design of your fort.  Small rooms, stockpiles around workshops.  Might make things hard to manage as the fort grows.  I prefer planning ahead for a 200-dorf fort.  There's a certain efficiency in having several workshops near one large input stockpile, and being able to see what you have at a glance.

But you're just learning, feeling your way around.  Early forts are often experimental ones.  Figure out your own style.

Oh, and whatever you do with stockpiles, set up a bookeeper noble in an office somewhere so you have accurate counts.

The screenshots are Phoebus, I see.  Are you using any mod pack?
Menaces with swipes of claw.
Meows with rumbles of purr.

A cute fluffy little creature fond of idle games, DF, and writing.

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Going to keep my eye on this one. Nice first post and welcome to the forums. :)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile

Good story so far. Could I be dorfed as shadowhammer the hammerdorf?

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
22nd Malachite, 553, Mid-Summer
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 12:07:31 pm »

~~Zoom down for 22nd Malachite, 553, Mid-Summer~~

Welcome to the wonderful world of DF, and Bay12!   :)   Read the wiki and ask questions here!

Why thank you!

Yep, dehydration is one of the most common ways for a fort to die a quick death.  I've learned to buy up booze from every caravan early on, and start in on farming and brewing quickly.  Bonus with buying up caravan booze:  More variety for your dorfs so they don't complain about the same old stuff, and you get free barrels for your own uses once drained.

I shall consider this; usually I'm just like "eh, 300~ booze, it's enough for them" and focus on berrymongering or leather.

Make sure you set up enough stockpile space for booze.  Dorfs drink straight from the barrels, monopolizing one for some time.  Have enough barrels (not liquid units, the barrels) for a quarter to half of your population.

I've followed the quick startup, so there's quite an expansive food+drink store pile they never seem to exhaust.

Interesting design of your fort.  Small rooms, stockpiles around workshops.  Might make things hard to manage as the fort grows.  I prefer planning ahead for a 200-dorf fort.  There's a certain efficiency in having several workshops near one large input stockpile, and being able to see what you have at a glance.

I'm beginning to see why you would o.0  I'm up to like 114 dorfs and the fortress is straining to keep them occupied.

But you're just learning, feeling your way around.  Early forts are often experimental ones.  Figure out your own style.

Oh, and whatever you do with stockpiles, set up a bookeeper noble in an office somewhere so you have accurate counts.

It's on the dormitory level, three south of the Expedition Leader's engraved room   :D

The screenshots are Phoebus, I see.  Are you using any mod pack?

Yup, LazyNewbPack, Phoebus+Dwarf Therapist.  Only way I can really play the game tbh.

Going to keep my eye on this one. Nice first post and welcome to the forums. :)

Thanks~

Good story so far. Could I be dorfed as shadowhammer the hammerdorf?

Absolutely.

I'm well into 553 and some interesting things have happened, next post should be later today/earlier tomorrow.

22nd Malachite, 553, Mid-Summer

Dear slab.  It's a dark and stony night again, and much has happened since last I turned to you for solace.  Again I set down the fate of the fortress, though it is for lack of creativity rather than genuine interest in posterity.

My fellow dorfs who to date now number a staggering one hundred and twenty five, mostly due to migrant louts, breed incessantly.  We had over a dozen births in a month!  The worst part is they just have their baby where ever they are: the store room, the forge, the barracks or the brewery!  Deadeye keeps her in the training room with us much to my chagrin. 

Our burgeoning populace too much for the old dining hall and new "work ethic" of hanging out and throwing parties, so I ordered our miners to delve deeper and put the louts to work smoothing and engraving.  If nothing else, they will work for their niceties here at Cavesilver.

Another dorf gone batty, another trinket to our name.  Personally, though, I'm glad for the madness that seems to permeat the craftsdwarfs-- it's how I got my best friend and companion here: Kathilguzat Othoregur, Wettwig the Erased Sorrows, a silver battle axe.  Aside from her, a baby made a bracelet out of wood.  They call it an 'artefact' and honestly I think it's just to spoil the kid.  I mean, "an image of two square cut gems in cedar," really?

We still need to get rid of all this lead and 24/7 trinketry just isn't enough.  To this end, I'd commissioned mass lead coin production, but after a few thousand gave up the ghost.  Unedok is a haggling civilization and nobody else will take our coins.  Still, maybe someday some idiot will come here to loot what's left and weigh themselves down with the shite fooled into thinking it's worth something.  I aim to pawn them off on the Elves for thread and berries.

The boys with our dogs took down a couple of Kobold thieves, who I'd hoped would have learned to leave us alone by now, and a kitten go caught in the fray and set off one of the cages.  She's wounded and I still don't know how to get her out of the cage, in fact nobody does.  She seems to be fine there, though.

On the plus side, every caravan that comes our way forks over their goods for a barrel or three of the lead trinkets.  Armok's beard if I know why, but I won't complain where they can hear me.  Not just the Elves but Humans and fellow Dwarves, too.  I'll write more when things start to get more interesting-- and if my plans for the Bath House come through, they will soon.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 05:34:01 pm by Azrayel »
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

Dwarf Kitty

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeking owner to adopt
    • View Profile

Having many idle dwarves is very common and impossible to avoid as your fort expands.  Indeed, if you managed to engage every single adult dwarf in some productive industy, you'd soon be overrun with junk.

About the only time every adult is occupied with something is when you designate trade goods to be taken to the depot.  Just give them a few splendid meeting places to socialize.

Of course, friendships lead to tantrums when a friend perishes.   ;)

By "planning for a 200-dorf fort" I meant setting up rooms and such to accomodate 200+ dorfs:  Expansive graveyard, a few dozen seats in an engraved dining hall/meeting area, furnished bedrooms, offices and noble quarters, barracks, planning where workshops, stockpiles, and forges will all go.

Some players think that small connected mini-forts (a few bedrooms here, small dining rooms here and there, workshops spread all over) is more efficient.  Maybe this piecemeal, experimental fort of small rooms works for you.  Whatever your style, it helps to plan ahead.
Menaces with swipes of claw.
Meows with rumbles of purr.

A cute fluffy little creature fond of idle games, DF, and writing.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

Newb succession game? I will in.