Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting dwarves to put on their armor  (Read 1391 times)

Brutalanusmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting dwarves to put on their armor
« on: July 27, 2013, 03:01:22 pm »

For some reason after I  assign armor to my soldiers they just refuse to put it on. They have full sets of armor each with the green check mark and everything but when i look in their inventory they only wear their breastplate, greaves, and sheild. Is their some way to fix this?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Getting dwarves to put on their armor
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 04:07:17 pm »

By only wearing their plate, greaves, and shield, do you mean that's all they're wearing, or are they also wearing their civilian clothes? Clothes can interfere with uniforms, setting their uniform to replace clothing should prevent this. Though if they are already set to replace clothing, then try setting the squad to active for some time, or try giving them a different outfit to wear.

Some other things would be to make sure that none of the equipment you want them to wear is stored in bins, as bins interfere with armour, weapons, and ammo collection tasks, and to make sure that there is enough equipment to go around. Though I don't think they would show the green check if there wasn't enough equipment.

Brutalanusmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 04:23:45 pm »

Thanks man I didn't know civilian clothes could interfere with uniforms.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 08:22:59 pm »

Yeah, armor has some rules that take some getting used to but make sense in the long run, mostly.

Strange-ish case 1: the dwarf is already wearing too much clothing on one body part. Most common place to see this is when civilians wear both gloves and mittens, and thus can't equip gauntlets. Makes sense if you've ever tried to wear several pairs of handwear at once, but I think dwarves should prioritize armor over civilian clothes even with "over clothing" selected, personally.

Strange-ish case 2: the dwarf is already wearing a [SHAPED] item on the body part. Obviously if you have two pairs of shoes that fit your feet individually, you can't wear them both at the same time -- they'll fit over your feet, but not over each other. So you can't wear boots (the armor) over shoes (the clothing), but where it gets weird in DF is that some items that wouldn't be stiff IRL still have the [SHAPED] tag in DF so they create the same conflicts. The biggest culprits are silk/cloth shoes and caps, though leggings are a common problem too since they are, by default, [SHAPED].

The DFWiki Armor article is helpful for troubleshooting by way of having aaalllllll the information.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 02:26:31 am »

I've noticed that they often won't put on armor etc until I turn them inactive at which point they seek out the stuff to put on.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 08:23:29 am »

Also be aware Miner, Woodcutter and Hunter jobs have their hard-coded uniforms which don't go well along military equipment. Specific workarounds are needed to have those work together, and disabling said jobs for military dorfs is advised.

My pipeline for making dorfs wear equipment goes like this:

- Make sure equipment is in stock, sitting in a stockpile and outside of bins (especially important to avoid bad thoughts for naked dorfs).
- Double-check assigned uniforms/equipment and availability in military screen.
- Make sure 'replace clothing' and 'wear uniform when off-duty' are both selected.
- Set squad as inactive (most dorfs will usually pick up equipment now)
- Give station order (any dorf in the squad shall pick-up items before carrying out the order if didn't already).
- Wait for dorfs to carry out the order and double check if all equipment as been picked up (otherwise sort out what's going wrong).
- Cancel station order, set squad as active again if needed.

It's a bit convoluted but usually works wonders.
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!