Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What's your standard embark?  (Read 3079 times)

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's your standard embark?
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2013, 08:11:21 pm »

My standard embark for the last several forts is based on controlling the artifacts I eventually make. Every dwarf has armoursmithing or weponsmithing massed. I take 7 turkeys and 7 dogs, 1 male of each. I take 2 copper picks, 1 anvil and 1 training axe. I take 26 of the 4 dwarf drinks as I get 2 barrels per drink, with 4 barrels containing 1 .drink, which quickly gives me 4 free barrels. I do a similar thing with food. Taking 1 of each 2 point cost meat giving me as many barrels as possible. Very littlw cooking then frees up a large number of barrels. That's the core of my embark, but I do look for a nice embark with plentty of trees, ideally lots of soil for easy space and good metal.

My most recent forts I look for flat ground. I use reveal and sink a staircase all the way to lava. I dodging caverns. I then swt up a magma forge using my anvil. While I'm doing this I put up a wall and gates with an airlock for trade. I cyclew my miners so no onew goes above the lvl 5 armour/weappon skill given initially. I keep my pop cap low,  15or so top keep me under the 20 pop to start moods.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's your standard embark?
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 01:08:09 pm »

There are a lot of interesting ideas in this thread...

My usual:
Military dwarf with carpentry/woodcutting enabled (but no points)
Military dwarf with miner enabled
Armor/weapon smith with miner enabled
Mechanic/engraver with miner enabled
Farmer/brewer
Stone crafter/bone carver
Trader/administrator/diagnoser
Everyone gets mason and architect enabled too

anvil
3 or 4 iron ore
12 or 16 flux (12 flux if 3 iron ore, 16 flux if 4 iron ore)
bituminous coal (or lignite if not available)
10 - 15 wood
2 - 3 stone in whatever color suits my mood
2 dogs
2 cats
a few plump helmets
21 of each seed for plump helmets, sweet pods, cave wheat, and pig tails
as much meat and drink as possible with the remaining points

This way I have enough to make 12 or 16 steel items, normally 3 picks, 2+ axes, 2+ helms, 2+ chain shirts, plus whatever I else feel like.  All that costs less embark points than the standard anvil, 2 copper picks, and 2 copper axes.

Of course, this changes based on embark location: more wood if there is an aquifer (for a wooden pump) or no surface trees, copper pick(s) for evil locations to get under quickly, heavier on the booze if no river, etc.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.
Pages: 1 2 [3]