Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sure, it's Dwarven enough, but...  (Read 2595 times)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Re: Sure, it's Dwarven enough, but...
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 04:20:50 pm »

While I like the idea of enemies breaking through constructed walls, use hooks etc, I'm a bit sceptical about digging through (gen) walls...

Yeah, constructions can always be rebuilt, but enemy miners reducing the map to swiss cheese?  That kind of strikes me as no fun.  If their tunnels were self-sealing... well, they'd still probably destroy ore/gem/mineral as well as being impossible to funnel, but at least they wouldn't irrecoverably butcher your layout.  And invasions through the caverns seem like something that ought to be in already.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 04:40:00 pm »

While I like the idea of enemies breaking through constructed walls, use hooks etc, I'm a bit sceptical about digging through (gen) walls...

Yeah, constructions can always be rebuilt, but enemy miners reducing the map to swiss cheese?  That kind of strikes me as no fun.  If their tunnels were self-sealing... well, they'd still probably destroy ore/gem/mineral as well as being impossible to funnel, but at least they wouldn't irrecoverably butcher your layout.  And invasions through the caverns seem like something that ought to be in already.

Just kill the invaders before they get a chance. It's not like they'll be digging in from the edges of the map, since those can't be dug out anyway. However, this seems like it could really turn the tables on us: imagine a goblin destroying the only floor tile supporting half the fortress above the magma sea.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 09:16:51 pm »

I for one look forward to the addition of digging enemies. Historically the two things that made sieges difficult were

1) proper defensive walls were too expensive to build and maintain around the size of farms necessary to maintain the urban population, and

2) besieging armies could dig under the walls to undermine them -- a technique known as "sapping" -- which could only be countered either by sending soldiers out to the tunnels or by counter-sapping (undermining the sapper's tunnels); both of those methods were very difficult to perform successfully and both introduced a large risk of letting enemy troops into the city.

Right now DF allows you to build a wooden palisade around the entire map within a year or so, and when armies show up to besiege you -- including humans, who will camp out around fires -- they take one look at your heavy-duty privacy fence and say "ah, forget it, we'll never get past that."
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 09:28:07 pm »

You guys are aware that someone is already working on a beta version of a script that let's invaders tunnel, right? I cant remember where I saw that thread, but it only triggers when the enemy cant path in, and then assigns one random invader a pick who then digs toward the nearest inaccessible meeting hall. It cant path through water but it will dig down to go under a moat.

Now WHERE did I see that thread...
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 09:36:26 pm »

If the floors are also made to contain magma, then this isn't useless. Every floor is just a few tiles of deconstruction away from housing a magma smelter, glass works, kiln, or smithery.

That makes the fortress quite flexible, and could be quite useful.

Now, the REAL bonus is to do this on top of a glacial embark. ;)

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 12:26:14 pm »

'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 04:03:25 am »

I for one look forward to the addition of digging enemies.
Agreed.
...besieging armies could dig under the walls to undermine them...

They would also stuff live pigs in with the timbers before sparking it all up, as their fats would raise the temperature of the fire with potentially explosive results...pre-explosives!
Perhaps goblins could use elf captives for this purpose. Wouldn't that be nice?
Edit: Hearken, the elves are singing...that gives us two days before the wall comes down...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 04:06:14 am by Dwarvinator »

UnlawfullyDeranged

• Bay Watcher
  • For every one, there will be one hundred more.
    • View Profile
    • 'Best War Animals'  'Clocks'
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 02:07:44 pm »

Reactive walls might not actually be that hard to build in the current version. Just make the floor level of the outer walls windows. Then, when a troll comes along to destroy it, !!trolls!!, and possibly !!goblins!! if they're standing too close. Are FBs/Titans immune to lava? This system could be really nice for getting rid of the odd building-destroyer mount or such. Admittedly, repair could be tricky.

Edit: Scratch the windows, just use bridges or floodgates connected to pressure plates ringing the walls. That way trolls will still path towards your walls (assuming floodgates), but hopefully be immolated before reaching them.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:14:08 pm by UnlawfullyDeranged »
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Just no cheesemakers.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2013, 02:52:04 pm »

Trolls... That reminds me of a previous thread where someone was making a magma cannon, and came under siege during a pressure/leak test. A troll destroyed the floodgate in the barrel of the cannon, and instantly immolated the map...

Off topic, yes.

On topic, I would think raised bridges would be best, but floodgates would be good for something in the air, like the Black Cauldron floating around.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 03:41:54 pm »

like the Black Cauldron floating around.
Every time I read about this project I expect weaponized necromancy.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 12:38:15 am »

you gave me an idea:

-=Side view=-

║

with water upside and magma down (in a diagonal way),
once the dig througth the magma flows, the water too, and the wall regenerate
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 03:49:33 am »

you gave me an idea:

-=Side view=-

║

with water upside and magma down (in a diagonal way),
once the dig througth the magma flows, the water too, and the wall regenerate

interesting idea
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 08:54:18 am »

Then why keep walls ?

Just make your walls magma waterfalls ! :D
You'll only have problems with bowgoblins, but their arrows will be hot enough to cauterize the wounds ! (or not ?)

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 11:38:39 am »

And your framerate would sink slightly below "dead"!
Pages: 1 [2]