Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 441 times)

Spitzkrug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some questions
« on: July 28, 2013, 05:04:02 am »

hi there, i'm a new dwarf and i love this game! :D i have some questions about it:

why the map is so small? there's a possibility to "conquer" and expand the map/fortress in another "chunk" (i don't know how i can call it.. i mean places over the main map)?

there's a possibility to comunicate/trade with other sites  (this is related with the first question)?

I mean like a 4x game.. is this game like this or is just a micro management of a small settlement?

Sorry for bad english, thanks for reading

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 05:32:02 am »

hi there, i'm a new dwarf and i love this game! :D i have some questions about it:

why the map is so small? there's a possibility to "conquer" and expand the map/fortress in another "chunk" (i don't know how i can call it.. i mean places over the main map)?
Map size can be changed at start where you choose your location.
But the larger it gets the more PC power it demands.
"conquer" and such stuff is planned to be added in the future at some point.

there's a possibility to comunicate/trade with other sites  (this is related with the first question)?
Traders will visit you and you can make them happy or make war with the other civilisation s by killing the traders enough times.
This will cause them to send armies at you.

I mean like a 4x game.. is this game like this or is just a micro management of a small settlement?

Sorry for bad english, thanks for reading
DF is insanely complex. So complex it even tracks body temperature of each dwarf. It's a little of everything.

I take it your language is german judging from your name?
In diesem Falle könnte ich helfen.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 05:34:11 am by Astrid »

Spitzkrug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 05:34:34 am »

thanks for answers.. so it isn't a "macro" game (with the main map interation etc)

anyway i'm italian, my nick is from a beer name lol

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 05:39:59 am »

It is going to be macro as well in the future.

A beer named Spitzkrug?
Mhm.... interesting taht one's apparently not on my radar.

Spitzkrug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 05:45:50 am »

well.. i hope it will be more awesome than how it is now :D

yea it's pretty popular in the "underground beers" here in italy :D

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
  • ...and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 05:48:20 am »

* You can change the size of the embark map by pressing U, H, K, and M (note capitals) when in the embark map. They may seem small but remember that you are actually playing on a map with multiple levels (sometimes hundreds of them), both upward and downward, which makes even a 4x4 embark site quite huge. This is why it's advisable to embark on smaller sites (I use 4x4 to 6x6) so that lag is lessened when your fort becomes large enough in the future and you start digging down deeper and deeper.

* And no, you can't expand while playing fortress mode (though you can always abandon a fort and move on elsewhere, or abandon it and then reclaim it with a larger embark zone).

* Yes. Diplomats and traders will regularly visit your fort. To trade, you need a trade depot built first. To speak with diplomats, you need a meeting area and nobles. If you reach a certain amount of wealth, your settlement gets upgraded until it finally becomes the capital of your civilization (in which case, the king or queen comes and lives in your fortress). If you kill enough people from certain civilizations, they'll declare war on you.

* It's planned to be like a 4x game (i.e. send out armies, conquer other settlements, make treaties etc.) in the future, but the current version isn't there yet. There are still plenty of ways to interact with neighboring civilizations though. Trade and diplomacy is already mentioned. You also get ambushes and seiges from hostile civilizations (especially from goblins). And if you get tired of playing fortress mode, you can play adventure mode and visit the different settlements in the world.

Spitzkrug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 06:01:06 am »

yes i know about traders, diplomats and trade depot stuff.. i meant to say it with a map interation, which i have already been answered

anyway i'll try to set up a biggest settlements like you explained, thanks!