Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stray Cat 2, Forgotten Beast 0  (Read 2570 times)

gabrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stray Cat 2, Forgotten Beast 0
« on: July 19, 2013, 11:50:39 am »

So, I dropped a pair of stray cats into my first cavern level to explore a bit. They hadn't done much except stand about, mewing pitifully at the staircase from which they were deployed. I thought the project to be a total loss, comforted only by the complete lack of resources invested and the thought that eventually something would chase them around and explore a bit, when suddenly...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Surely, this would function as the catalyst to get them moving. So, intrigued, I followed one of the cats to see what he could see.
Bursts of dust flew everywhere, the caverns shook with the great fuzzy grasshopper's rage, when suddenly a passage exploded in blood! Named blood, not a stray cats. Investigation revealed...
I was startled and amazed. After the female cat fell in battle, the male cat turned upon the Forgotten Beast and propelled by the Beast's own explosive gasses, used his tiny cat body like Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee's love child to strike the Beast's head against the stones, killing it instantly.
This cat is a hero. Checking in on him, I see he's paid well the price for his courage...

Should he, by a second miracle, survive, I will create for him a royal bedroom, and fill it with the bodies of the vermin his fellow felines hunt down. He has saved many a brave dwarf from grasshopper destruction, and I owe him a debt that cannot be repaid.

All hail Socks the Stray Cat, defeater of the legendary Forgotten Beast Quamun Abekamca in the year 7!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 02:07:55 pm by gabrek »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: Stray Cat 1, Forgotten Beast 0
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 01:02:55 pm »

Build him a tomb of precious metals and line it with dog skull totems.

gabrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 03:32:19 pm »

Socks has outlived my fortress; though his body was a rotten mess, he continued to wander the deeps while my fortress was butchered by an ambush, undetected, waiting on the hatches when I opened them to allow my dwarves to scavenge for elven cloths and threads from the surface. It was not folly to not have a military when perfectly safe; 'twas folly to violate my safety protocols even once. Every dwarf lay dead.

Journey on, Socks. Perhaps we'll meet again.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 05:42:40 pm »

Enter crazy cat adventurer.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 12:52:18 am »

Grasshoppers ARE a form of vermin...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 04:23:30 am »

This... This is amazing. Should others prove to like it, perhaps he could get a "D for Dwarf" section on the wiki?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 04:32:10 am »

Mr Buzkillington here.

Deadly dust FB's are in the habit of killing themselves with thier dust attack in exactly this manner - blasting things into themselves, or themselves into walls. The cat was lucky to get blasted into the FB's head, that is all.

Sorry. :P
This is a blank sig.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 04:43:11 am »

Deadly dust FB's are in the habit of killing themselves with thier dust attack in exactly this manner - blasting things into themselves, or themselves into walls. The cat was lucky to get blasted into the FB's head, that is all.

I got once a deadly dust FB. It was made of amethyst.

No matter how much it blasted itself to things, it didn't die. It was made of fucking amethyst. It didn't die. Hell, one of my legendary soldiers died because of dust threw cave blob corpse. It was a headshot. My militia commander died because of some clothes headshotted him. One dwarf flung upwards and died after colliding with cavern roof.

Fortunately one marksdwarf got a lucky headshot to it.

Enter crazy cat adventurer.

DFHack -> use mode command to change mode to arena -> assume control of the cat -> change to adventure mode -> adventures with cat!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:45:26 am by Matoro »

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 09:08:21 am »

That's one awesome cat. You should reclaim and see if they are still down there roaming the caverns.

For some reason I can't get dive-bombing out of a tree onto someone's head as a Cat in Adventure Mode out of my head, after the new combat stuff is released...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:08:02 pm by Repseki »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 12:17:02 pm »

I meant an insane adventurer who was obsessed with cats, but an adventuring cat works as well.

gabrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 10:38:55 am »

Mr Buzkillington here.

Sorry. :P

I know, it's amusing how they kill themselves. It was just epic that he killed himself, after surviving since Times Unknown in the Deepest Non-Circus Depths, while trying to kill a rather portly house cat.
The reclaim effort has found no trace of his body, primarily because the team sent was annihilated by a fire breathing fire blob that had taken up residence. I'll have to try again sometime after taking time to forge an actually military force at the fortress.

gabrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stray Cat 2, Forgotten Beast 0
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 02:31:29 pm »

So. In another fortress, many leagues away, madness had gripped the population. Apparently, my three under employed and over popular McLumberjacks had for some reason jumped down the well into the cistern. In the midst of a tantrum spiral and goblin ambush invasion, I had accepted the fact that very soon, every dwarf of mine would almost certainly be dead.

When the forgotten beast, Ithbi Naquuvbora came, I believed that he would certainly bring a swift and definite conclusion to the tale of Ringedsack, my dwindling village.

I followed his mad ascent up the pit I had dropped sand (and a few insane dwarves) a hundred Z-levels or so down to watch his majestic butchery, when suddenly he turned into a large letter S surrounded by blood. I was flabbergasted- how did a flying forgotten beast die climbing a flight of stairs?
The combat logs had the answer. I couldn't believe it.

I don't know if somewhere, somehow, Socks the Legendary Stray Cat had survived and passed on his lineage by spore, or if he had finally passed from this world, his spirit returning to my dwarves in their time of direst need once again.
However it happened, Socks the Second, Legendary Stray Kitten, came away from this battle in fine condition.

All hail the victories of Socks! All hail Socks!

... on that note, I should probably cancel the order to butcher all kittens in the fortress post haste.

gabrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 03:27:03 pm »

Three Cats for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie,
One Socks to rule them all, one Socks to find them,
One Socks to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Oh god, I actually laughed at this. Very nice <3

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 03:36:31 pm »

I very much want the kills to be listed under info on animals now.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 10:07:34 pm »

Three Cats for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie,
One Socks to rule them all, one Socks to find them,
One Socks to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
This is a masterwork poem. All pendwarfship is of the highest quality. It is adorned with hanging rings of lotr quotes, and encircled with bands of dwarfiness. It menaces with spikes of cat.