Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to maximise the potential of my starting 7?  (Read 674 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to maximise the potential of my starting 7?
« on: August 07, 2013, 05:40:53 pm »

I have 7 starting Dwarves, but I'm not too sure about divvying up my usual roles amongst this lot. They're a bit sketchy in ther ability, it seems that poor kinesthetic and spatial sense is common in this particular civ.

These are the Dwarves:

Spoiler: Dobar Robekonol (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kadol Shedvucar (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kikrost Tunomritar (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kivish Nokimtat (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mafol Alathsat (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Likot Bomrekar (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Medtob Limuldeg (click to show/hide)

I usually embark with a Mason, Carpenter, Miner, Leader (skilled in doing a bookmaker's job as well as expedition leader and broker), Blacksmith, Doctor, Grower. What roles do you chaps think the Dwarves should go into? I can usually do this myself but this lot had me scratching my head.

I'm embarking on a frozen site, so maybe some brewing would be wise. Freezing taiga/tundra with a frozen river, flux, shallow metals, red clay.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: How to maximise the potential of my starting 7?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 05:47:49 pm »

Use a dice or coinflip to assign jobs if you can't figure out who gotta do what!

Though Tunmoritar's personality looks most promising as an leader, partially from handling stress and being organized.

Come to think, it looks like all of this batch are prone to addiction and thrill-seeking, too.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 05:57:18 pm »

Judging from the 'has the appearance of', seems like they're all vampires?

Anyways, I usually try to pick the dwarf with the more 'manageable' likes and as few preferences as possible for the expedition leader+broker/manager/appraiser/bookkeeper.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 05:59:50 pm »

Judging from the 'has the appearance of', seems like they're all vampires?

No, it's just the first generation of dwarves. It's been a short worldgen I guess.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 06:02:12 pm »

I stopped worldgen on year 3 to maximise the amount of megabeasts and because it feels good to build the first great fortress. Would it be wise to go with Kadol Shedvucar for leader if he seemingly has the most potential to grow in his social skills? I was reading the wiki and it seems like he can learn both how to become a flatterer (which honest Dwarves can't) but also learn how to console and such. Leader aside though, coin tossing may be my only option. There's no ideal miners or masons in that mix.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 06:04:49 pm by Owlbread »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 06:09:10 pm »

Oh I see.

Anyways, if it was my embark, I would use either Medtob or Dobar for leader because he has attributes that help with bookeeping, manager, trader, that stuff. Probably Medtob.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 06:16:55 pm »

Medtob does look like the best in fact, yes. I see where you're coming from. I'll go with him. Do you have any advice for the other roles?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 06:49:31 pm »

Pretty much the only position that I determine via the preferences and attributes is the bookkeeper/manager/broker position because they are most likely to become mayor (or at least the expedition leader is automatically mayor). Though if a particular dwarf likes picks, that would be a natural choice for miner. Not sure if a preference for picks actually helps a miners mood if he/she is holding a pick.

If Kikrost had better attributes, that could work because he likes bins and that would be less annoying for the trade depot than most things. Or at least would be easier to deal with if there is a trade ban.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 06:56:09 pm »

Pretty much the only position that I determine via the preferences and attributes is the bookkeeper/manager/broker position because they are most likely to become mayor (or at least the expedition leader is automatically mayor). Though if a particular dwarf likes picks, that would be a natural choice for miner. Not sure if a preference for picks actually helps a miners mood if he/she is holding a pick.

If Kikrost had better attributes, that could work because he likes bins and that would be less annoying for the trade depot than most things. Or at least would be easier to deal with if there is a trade ban.

Liking bin is maddening with trade ban, because I have to turn off hiding the ban mandate. Held or worn things doesn't helps moods, that I've found, but it is a nice thing to do to match things up.

I usually prefer my book-keeper/trader/manager to not be a mayor, mostly because I tend to promote one of the mayor that's been nice to baron. Barony seem to do a bit weirdly with jobs, I've not had any luck getting them to do other noble jobs ( like broking and book-keeping) that way.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 07:27:56 pm »

These are the preferences I found interesting:

Dobar Robekonol mason/stoneworker (likes diorite a fairly common stone) gem-cutter (likes large gems)
Kadol Shedvucar clothier (likes pig tail fabric)
Kikrost Tunomritar carpenter/smith (likes bins and bucklers)
Kivish Nokimtat carpenter/woodworker (likes goblin-cap wood) farmer (likes quarry bushes)
Mafol Alathsat weapon-smith (likes war hammers)
Likot Bomrekar smith (likes copper a fairly common metal)
Medtob Limuldeg nothing to note a miner
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 07:33:04 pm by Kaos »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 07:41:03 pm »

I like what you've suggested, Kaos. I tailored my usual setup to what you were suggesting based on likes, though I also considered stuff that worried me like being "quick to tire" etc.

How does this setup look?

Dobar - Gem cutter/stonecrafter/mason
Kadol - Miner (he's a really nice fellow but he is the only one who is slow to tire)
Kikrost - Carpenter
Kivish - Grower (Farmer)
Mafol - (Brewer? Chef? Or possibly warrior...)
Likot - Smith
Medtob - Leader

Looking through those though, I don't have a doctor. Analytical abilities don't really run in this civ, and Mafol certainly wouldn't do the job.

I think Dobar might have to be a Doctor with Mafol as a sub-par mason, or I make her a miner. Kadol and Dobar are the only ones besides Medtob who would be good at diagnosing and other medical things. I'm also conscious of the fact that I'm going to be brewing a lot, seeing as there is nothing to drink.

Maybe I don't actually need a Smith. It's handy because their skills are expensive to level at times but maybe... gah.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 07:54:25 pm by Owlbread »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 09:38:04 pm »

Yeah, you're likely to get a metalsmith of some kind with the migrant waves. I would probably lump brewing with the growing as well, that way you have one dwarf doing those tasks. You should also make a second miner, you know, in case one of them has an accident, plus it's faster with two miners.

As for the doctor, give some low skill amount to one of them that still has lots of points left over. Though maybe Likot would work better what with the personality.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 09:52:53 pm »

The problem with Likot is his poor analytical ability. Perhaps Kadol should be doctor and Likot should be a miner because... well, at least he won't go on a break every 5 minutes. He may not be slow to tire like Kadol but he's not quick to tire either. He's also quite a loner.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 10:00:48 pm by Owlbread »