Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minecart Tycoon - Now being written: Part 1, Chapter 3  (Read 2955 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minecart Tycoon - Now being written: Part 1, Chapter 3
« on: November 18, 2013, 03:31:15 am »

Based on the "Railroad Tycoon" games, Players will compete to build a series of minecart tracks from one Town to another in the least amount of time, while also producing the greatest total value of goods at each embark.  Once a section of track has been completed from one side of an embark to the other, the fortress will be "retired" using Dfhack and an "adventurer" game begun where an adventurer will load up his/her backpack with all the goods created at that fortress and attempt to ride a minecart all the way back to his/her starting Town to sell it to a trader for coins.  The amount of coins an adventurer ends up with from sale of those goods provides the base score for the Player.  Minecart "track jumping" will be used to transfer it from one section of track to another, with a 5% penalty to the base score for every section where the minecart needs to be manually placed back on the track.  Players whose adventurers are able to traverse a 16 embark square section of track receive a cumulative 5% bonus to their base score and a 10% bonus for successfully joining two Towns or Cities containing markets together.  Time = money: The total score including bonuses will be divided by the number of months it takes to lay the track and transport the goods to a trader, resulting in the profit made by that Player on their turn.

Trade value of embark goods = Base score.
Base score x [(-5% per episode manually placing minecart back on the track) (+5% per 16 embark squares traversed) (+10% per new Town or City with a market added to the track network)] / [(Months taken to build this turn's section of tracks) + (Months adventurer takes to travel from the embark back to town)] = Profit made this turn

A one time bonus per Player of double their current net worth will be given to the Players whose adventurer is able to ride their minecart from one coast to the other (Pacific or Atlantic) without having to be manually replaced for the entire journey.  Those Players will be honored as one of the "Transcontinental Elite".

Are you ready to take on the challenge of being a Minecart Tycoon?

How to retire a fort using Dfhack:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How to ride a minecart in Adventure Mode:

Other minecart stuff:

Turn list:                               Turn length (in game)                                       link
1) Timeless Bob                                                                 http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8310
2) Proto105
3) 4maskwolf

Player                         Minecart Company (Group name)                     Net worth
1) Timeless Bob                 The Quick Trails of Trading
2) Proto105
3) 4maskwolf

Transcontinental Elite
1)
2)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:19:46 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart Tycoon (Succession game)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 03:36:01 am »

This is an awesome idea. However, what I'm more interested in that map of America... I must have it!

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart Tycoon
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 06:44:03 am »

I don't know enough about adventurer mode to join, but this looks pretty amazing!

PTW

Also:
This is an awesome idea. However, what I'm more interested in that map of America... I must have it!
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart Tycoon
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 09:15:08 am »

I guess I can join. This looks really cool.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart Tycoon (A Masterwork Succession Game)
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 06:34:37 pm »

Actually, Timeless, my turn will have to go on hold because I'm literally swamped with fortresses and work right now.  Sorry.

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 04:53:40 am »

I'd like to request a turn

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 04:54:56 am »

Edit: Oops, somehow I posted twice...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 04:58:39 am by Proto105 »

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 04:09:22 pm »

Sorry, I didn't know it was my turn. Where can I get the save? Are we using EmbarkEverywhere to connect everything directly?

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 08:33:43 pm »

Love Railroad Tycoon 3!
The Dfhack part sounds too rough... I never get Dfhack to work correctly.
Posting to watch.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minecart Tycoon - The Challenge Page
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 07:33:12 am »

The old map went kaput, so I'm re-doing it using the latest version of Masterwork Mod (v.4e), further modded to have all civs make villages and cities, and furthermore to have dwarves to be able to start in forests as well as mountains.  This way, there will be a reason the elves hate dwarves so much - they compete for resources in the forests and tend to burn or chop down huge swathes of the trees elves revere.  Chaos Dwarves still inhabit only the mountains, but this allows Minecart Tycoons to have a series of friendly Dwarven towns that reach from the east to the west coast and from Alaska to Louisiana. (Florida is currently claimed by serpent-folk, which is ironically cool.)

The game will start on the island of Cuba, trying to connect those three dwarven towns, and maybe dig a tunnel over to orc-controlled Hispaniola. (Haiti/Dominican republic).  The Orcs must be driven out of Hispaniola, or turned into allies by becoming trading partners with them.  The reason for this is that they've built a great shipping port on the eastern side of the island and the Cuban dwarves will be able to use that to contact their long lost colony on the northern shores of Venesuela, "Gurgletorment" (Named to remind them why dwarves usually don't use boats - they're highly prone to seasickness).  The Orcs have put down colonies there too, but the native elves have challenged both sets of settlers, so an uneasy truce exists between the three races. 
It will only take a small spark to set the entire region aflame with war.

Book 1: Beginning with the westernmost town (Eyework), Players compete to join the four Dwarven towns of Cuba, gaining titles and riches along the way.

Part 1: "The Eyework Express"
Traders from Eyework pay a high premium to caravans taking the road east to the other dwarven towns of the island, but only one in fifteen caravans ever reach their intended destinations, the rest succumb to wild beasts, bandits, and even darker horrors of the wilderness.  The First Lute, Bin Hardylaborious, has agreed to give the title of "Baron" to the first dwarf that is able to find a way to reliably get trade-goods from one town to another.  One night, as you were drinking in the local mead hall, you overhear a miner relating the traditional tall tale of Urist McMoonus:
Something clicks in your head and the next day you consult your head architect and head engineer to see if it would work - An elevated track following the caravan road east, connecting Eyework with the other dwarven towns, safe from any wild beasts, orcs, or bandits - you can almost taste that barony!

Victory condition:
Be the first to successfuly bring goods from Eyework to Moralsteal along an elevated mine-track and sell them in the market there.

Group: The Quick Trails of Trading
     Fortress: Eyework The Home of Trading
     (Last minute rename from "Artifice" to "Trading")

Chapter 1 "Year 114: The beginning of the project"

Chapter 2 "Year 115: The project continues"

Chapter # "currently untitled"

Part 2

Victory condition: Be the first to successfuly bring goods from Moralsteal to Slaughtergem along an elevated mine-track and sell them in the market there.

Chapter 1 "currently untitled"
Chapter # "currently untitled"

Book 2 "The Tunnel"
Players will build a minecart traversable tunnel to Hispaniola (using two embarks and carving tracks through the subterranean caverns that underlie the two islands.)  The completed tunnel will traverse a few less than a thousand squares, not even adding the descent/ascent tracks. Players compete to blaze a path from Slaughtergem to a beach-head in Hispaniola and return safely to Hispaniola.

Book 3 "Onward to the Port"
Defeat all the Orcs of Hispaniola through force of arms or by becoming trading partners with them, so they won't attack adventurers who travel through their lands.  A minecart track must allow an adventurer to travel unmolested from the Beach-head all the way to the ship docked in "Port Xukongzolak".

Book 4 "Currently untitled"
The ship at the Elven controlled Port Togduba that will be the end of the ocean voyage from Port Xukongzolak. This will be the beginning of the mainland aspect of the game.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 07:45:22 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 10:01:54 pm »

I finally have everything set up for Books 1-3 and will be starting up the game tonight/this morning.  Everybody who wants a turn should say so - I'll place turns up for those who asked for them before.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 04:05:03 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 10:08:00 pm »

Moved up to challenge page
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:11:47 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart Tycoon - Now being written: Part 1, Chapter 3
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 01:46:50 am »

PTW.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns