Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Omen-Realm of Typhoons - Mean World II  (Read 3664 times)

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
The Omen-Realm of Typhoons - Mean World II
« on: August 15, 2013, 04:36:32 pm »

Came across a pre-generated world I'm very interested exploring. Hoping a few players will jump in. I'll update this thread with legends, maps, etc. If you choose to join, feel free to post your experiences and stories here.  :D

The Omen-Realm of Typhoons:
http://dwarf-fortress-numthur.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-omen-realm-of-typhoons-mean-world.html

-lots of towers
-medium size
-250 years history
-high number of civilizations
-high number of sites
-high number of beasts
-high savagery
-sparse minerals

Download (DFFD): http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7555
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 07:20:19 pm by GM-X »
Dark Ages IV: DF & Skyrim mods + Survival Sims 
http://AdventRPG.com/

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Omen-Realm of Typhoons - Mean World II
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 01:22:21 am »

Lots of civs - how many have been modded to produce cities?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 09:17:38 am »

Lots of civs - how many have been modded to produce cities?

Modded to produce cities? What exactly is that Timeless Bob?  :-X

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 06:24:37 pm »

In the raws, each sentient is changed from "dark fortress" or "forest retreat" to "city".  So each site listed in legends and each place given by adventure mode actually exists upon embark or the adventure screen rather than as a placeholder designation like it is in vanilla.

I makes mountain-homes actually visitable and allows dwarven adventurers an option to find and wear better armour, (since it's not all human sized any more)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:27:06 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 01:47:50 pm »

In the raws, each sentient is changed from "dark fortress" or "forest retreat" to "city".  So each site listed in legends and each place given by adventure mode actually exists upon embark or the adventure screen rather than as a placeholder designation like it is in vanilla.

I makes mountain-homes actually visitable and allows dwarven adventurers an option to find and wear better armour, (since it's not all human sized any more)

Love it. How do I make that happen?

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 01:36:40 pm »

I'm in suspense Timeless Bob. I assumed that DF made cities automatically. At the latest when you start adventure mode. If there is a way to produce dwarf mountain-homes, I really want to know about it.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 05:58:45 pm »

OK, so go to the path I'm taking through folders is this:
(Opening each successive sub-folder until you get to the text file)

Dwarf Fortress-->raw-->objects-->entity_human.txt

This is the file that helps humans generate their civilizations.

Scroll down to "[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CITY]" - this allows DF to have humans make hamlets, towns ad cities where they do.  You'll also find "[TOLERATES_SITE_TYPE:]" here, which allows them to play nice with other civs that build these instead.  There's also the
[BUILDS_OUTDOOR_TOMBS]
[BUILDS_OUTDOOR_FORTIFICATIONS] just below, so that's all good too.

So that covers city building.  But what about Roads and Walled Cities and Dungeons?  OK, so scroll down a bit further and you'll come across:
   [WORLD_CONSTRUCTION:WALL]
   [WORLD_CONSTRUCTION:BRIDGE]
   [WORLD_CONSTRUCTION:ROAD]
   [ETHIC:KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

The "[WORLD_CONSTRUCTION:]" things let DF know that they'll build these things during world-gen as well.  They don't have to - Necros don't build roads or bridges, for instance, just "Towers".  I'm not sure if these "WORLD_CONSTRUCTION" bits need to come just before the ETHIC lists, but that's how it is in the human raws, so I just assume that it's required in other race's raws as well.

OK, so lets get out of the human file and go to, lets say, the elven one "entity_elf.txt":
Change the "DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:" to "CITY", then add in
[BUILDS_OUTDOOR_TOMBS]
[BUILDS_OUTDOOR_FORTIFICATIONS]
right after that. (So long as you'd like your elves to build tombs and fortresses of their very own.)
Scroll down to the ETHICS list and add
   [WORLD_CONSTRUCTION:WALL]
   [WORLD_CONSTRUCTION:BRIDGE]
   [WORLD_CONSTRUCTION:ROAD]
just before them, like it was in the "human-entity" file.
Save and exit - viola! Now your elves will also have places you can visit in adventure mode, be invaded and ransacked and have markets selling elven crap in their elven towns. (Which are built pretty much identically to Human ones now, except for being infested with elves who are animal-freindly.)

Dwarves are handled in much the same way, but reside in the "entity_default.txt" file.  Since dwarves are the only playable fortress-mode race in vanilla, that file's going to have much more stuff in it.  Regardless, just change the entries in "DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE" and add in the TOMBS, FORTIFICATIONS, WALLS, BRIDGES, and ROADS in the same spots we did with the elves and your dwarves will now also be represented as hamlets, towns, tombs, ect... in World gen and in Adventurer mode. I've made this modification to all the races I gen worlds for anymore, which leads to this next bit:

LOTS of NPC reactions are generated using this method.  With uninhibited number of sites and uninhibited pop cap, the game usually crashes after around 200 to 1,000 years (depending on Titan attacks and the like thinning out the world-wide population), because all of my RAM is used up and the simulation calls for more.  So I'll either put a population cap to 200 (like a good sized Dwarf Fortress) and let them make as many sites as they like, or set a site cap to 20 per civ, but let the population grow as it will.  The first option results in a more urbanized setting with hamlets and roads EVERYWHERE, but swathes of particularly savage or evil biomes left conspicuously bare of habitation, while the second option results in more wars and long stretches of "Golden" and "Twilight" Ages.

(I often gen 10k year worlds, just to see what histories unfold - after year 300 or so, most balance out to a Golden Age or domination by either elves or gobs because they don't die of old age.)

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 06:33:55 pm »

Timeless Bob, you are truly awesome. Your post is a massive help. Please. Don't hesitate for an instant to jump in, and spare me newbieness. I've been goofing off with DF for about a month, and I still feel like a kid on crack at Disneyland.

I heard that Dr. Toady is working on cities for the next release. Very, very excited about that too. I plan to follow your suggestion and start generating modded worlds before and after the next update. So thank you very much. Meanwhile, The Omen-Realm of Typhoons has 39 cities and a ton of necromancers. I will post about it until I mod something more interesting. ;)

Scorchingbowel - Necromancer Tower Report
http://dwarf-fortress-numthur.blogspot.com/2013/08/necromancers-tower-report-scorchingbowel.html

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 02:43:11 pm »

In a work of art so complex, we are all (except maybe a few luminaries like Meph, Putnam or Japa) noobs in one form or another.  No worries - we all tend to build on each-other's strengths in here.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 08:28:09 am »

I didn't use any mods when creating the universe... interesting that it eventually sparked someone's interest :-)
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 03:40:29 pm »

What version of DF did you use to gen this?

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 04:00:25 pm »

It's all in the link... version 34.11...

medium size
medium (250 years) history
very high number of civilizations
very high number of sites
very high number of b easts
high savagery
sparse minerals

it's quite crowded world, so you get a lot of rejections during world generations.

...and I used Mac... I heard it generates worlds bit differently than Windows version, but I don't know the differences.
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 05:11:12 pm »

Nice.  With high savagery on, even a 250 year history in a medium sized world would have a good likelihood of finishing without a crash if the changes I mentioned earlier were implemented and the world regenned from the same seed.  You're right that macs tend to gen different worlds than PC's - it's the difference in basic logic-gate architecture that seems to be the thing - heck, even a world genned from two different PC's seems to be slightly different in the end - biomes and altitudes can vary a little, as we found out in the crowdsourced isoworld project a couple months ago.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii