Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why are potash makers considered so useless?  (Read 5510 times)

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Re: Why are potash makers considered so useless?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 12:14:54 pm »

I embarked with 500 dwarves. Even with the absurd amount of food and booze I embarked with, it only lasted a season. Now feeding them has become a nightmare.
I'll make sure to remember the true power of Potash Makers, the next time I embark with 500 dwarves. [/sarcasm]

Okay, so they're helpful if you're making a clear glass megaproject. And, like all Farming (and Woodcutting / Furnace Operating / Pump Operating) labors, Potash Making does not contribute towards a moodable skill, so if you've got a Novice Armorsmith who likes steel and breastplates, you can safely let him make tons of potash until he starts feeling a little funny.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 01:15:22 pm »

I embarked with 500 dwarves. Even with the absurd amount of food and booze I embarked with, it only lasted a season. Now feeding them has become a nightmare.
I'll make sure to remember the true power of Potash Makers, the next time I embark with 500 dwarves. [/sarcasm]
Its not really even that helpful then. It will help me stabilize food production faster, but in the end it will be quite stable without potash makers.

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 01:56:19 pm »

Making most of these qualityless items takes such a short period of time (looking at you, milking), it is not worth training people up in them. Add to that that potash is kind of useless. And should I want to make clear glass in bulk, any old dwarf can do the job.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:59:35 pm by enolate »

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 02:01:09 pm »

I embarked with 500 dwarves. Even with the absurd amount of food and booze I embarked with, it only lasted a season. Now feeding them has become a nightmare. I've fished the swamps clean, I've cleared the surface of plants, and I have 8 10x10 plots (not quite working to full potential) and I still can't keep up. In this instance, potash is helpful. The problem is I don't have enough seeds to fully utilize my plots, so larger stacks of plants will get me there faster. Of course, once I get my farms working to full potential, I won't need potash makers.

Of course I might not have a problem if someone hadn't misplaced the plump helmet spawn. We could use a purple flood to cascade over my hapless starving dwarves...

how did you embark with 500 dwarves?

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 03:00:25 pm »

The main problem is that potash doesen't have quality and you don't need to produce hundreds and hundred units of it. Because producing it is so rare, there is no reason to keep full-time potash makers or something like that.

I embarked with 500 dwarves. Even with the absurd amount of food and booze I embarked with, it only lasted a season. Now feeding them has become a nightmare. I've fished the swamps clean, I've cleared the surface of plants, and I have 8 10x10 plots (not quite working to full potential) and I still can't keep up. In this instance, potash is helpful. The problem is I don't have enough seeds to fully utilize my plots, so larger stacks of plants will get me there faster. Of course, once I get my farms working to full potential, I won't need potash makers.

Of course I might not have a problem if someone hadn't misplaced the plump helmet spawn. We could use a purple flood to cascade over my hapless starving dwarves...

how did you embark with 500 dwarves?

DFhack -> startdwarf 500

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 04:26:41 pm »

Since Potash doesn't have quality modifiers you can just brute force it with a bunch of conscripts. I actually use a lot of potash because I made a custom reaction that uses 3 pearlash to create crystal glass without rock crystal.
Pages: 1 [2]