Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So, how do I farm in the new version?  (Read 1063 times)

Merlon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, how do I farm in the new version?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 08:10:00 am »

Or, you could place the floodgate and link it to a lever before tearing through the watersoaked wall next to the river.

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 09:19:00 pm »

I got a farm working!!

It's a very simple farm.  All you'll need is 1 floodgate, 1 lever, 2 mechanics, and a big room.

First dig down to a river's water-level (the top of the river won't work).

Dig a pretty large room,  something like 10x10.  Make sure this room is sealed off  via doors.

Build a hallway to the river, but don't break through just yet.

Install your floodgate in this still-dry hallway and hook it up to your switch.

Get the miner to break through and quick pull the switch (but not so quick that your miner gets stuck!!).

Hopefully just enough water will have come through.  Water moves pretty slow so experiment with how much water to let come through so that it floods your entire room about 1 deep.  Dwarves can walk and build and plant on 1 deep water, and it eventually goes away.  This seems to be the most simple way of farming early in the game.

Carefull though, if you let too much water into the room it will be ruined as there will be nowhere for the water to spread out to 1 tile thick and it will stay forever!!

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 09:36:00 pm »

You don't even need to worry about the floodgates now unless you're building deep.

So far I've found that farming in non-muddied silt or clay loam works better than worrying about trying to get channels to work correctly. Not only that but if you go the herbalist route, you can farm outside your fort.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 09:46:00 pm »

Wow, farming is a lot easier than I imagined. I dug out a huge room full of sandy loam, no irrigation required. Nice prickleberry patch on the surface too. (And besides all this, getting rid of the anvil in the beginning allowed me to start with a truly ridiculous amount of food and booze, I doubt I'll even need to farm for the first couple of years.)

I guess I'll have to pick a more difficult spot after this to force myself to learn the more complicated methods...

[ October 29, 2007: Message edited by: Solara ]

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2007, 12:56:00 am »

I dug a cavern just under the surface next to a lake. Then I mined the wall of the lake out, and watched the flow dynamics for a few minutes til it was all 1/7 and I built a farm that. Heehee.  :)

Tracker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2007, 02:30:00 am »

My setup is like this:

code:

~~~▓
~~▓▓
~~▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
~~~X77777777X            ▓
~~~▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓          ▓
~~▓▓          ▓          ▓
~▓▓▓          ▓          ▓
~▓▓▓          ▓          ▓
~▓▓▓          ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

An 8-long corridor of 7's empties into a 10x10 room, then turns to 1's.

here''s men underground/who have never seen the sun/but they really know how to party/they raise their wooden pints/and they yoik and sing/and they fight and they dance ''till morning

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007, 03:22:00 am »

Farms don't disappear in the winter anymore (at least on warm climates) so you just have to muddy it once and plop it down, you don't need floodgates and whatnot to get it wet every year.

I built mine under a pond, drained the pond into it and let it evaporate. works fine.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2007, 04:05:00 am »

...do hostile animals pop in from where you drain the pond into your farm?

farm outside? what can you grow? I see some berries and other beer components.. but that's about it so far.

incidentally.. the wiki said something about being able to farm on sand.

is that right? because I started on a map with no visible stone yet.. (then abandoned)  everything is sand or some such.

haven't tried farming indoors per se... does that mean I didn't actually have to flood the place ever and can just farm on any sand? guess I better give that a try... doh!

[ October 30, 2007: Message edited by: bbb ]

Pages: 1 [2]