Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't hunt with bone/wooden bolts?  (Read 2199 times)

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't hunt with bone/wooden bolts?
« on: June 14, 2008, 08:45:00 am »

I have a dwarf set to hunting, and noticed that his job seems to be stuck on 'pick up equipment'. He isn't moving, just standing around outside.

I had a look at him and noticed that he has no ammuntion. However, there are plenty of wooden and bone bolts in my stockpiles, I'm assuming he only wants to pick up metal bolts and this is why he's doing nothing.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't hunt with bone/wooden bolts?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 09:05:00 am »

I had no less than three military dwarves freeze in place trying to "Pick Up Equipment" the other day. Nothing I did would snap them out of it. I went through the ENTIRE stocks screen trying to find the items they were looking for, and designated them for dumping, but they still just sat there. I undrafted them and re-drafted them. I tried stationing them elsewhere. Nothing. They simply would. Not. Move.

Two of them were Legendary Champion Hammerlords. One was trying to pick up a Steel Shield - though I didn't think to look if he already had one equipped. I eventually managed to un-freeze him by unleashing a monster nearby (in a strictly controlled environment, of course) and let it beat the guy up. He cancelled his "Pick Up Equipment" job as soon as he was "too injured". But he died anyway, so that idea was kind of useless.

[ June 14, 2008: Message edited by: Moogie ]

I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 09:19:00 am »

How do you tell which equipment they are trying to pick up? I just assumed it was bolts as he is wandering around with a crossbow with no ammunition.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

I checked the 'j'obs list and the details for his Pickup job was "Steel Shield". Annoyingly, you can't then zoom to the indicated item from the job screen. There is, basically, no way at all to zoom to the location of an item targetted for a task. Only buildings.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 12:14:00 pm »

You can go into the stocks menu and zoom in on every steel shield in the fortress to make sure none of them are stuck somehow. This is however a far from ideal solution.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 01:58:00 pm »

I'd just momentarily forbid my entire armor stockpile through a designation.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 04:03:00 pm »

How is it possible? I had this with ammunition once and I think it's a bug.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository