Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First time poster ...  (Read 461 times)

Weq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
First time poster ...
« on: June 16, 2008, 02:46:56 am »

First of all I would like to say what a wonderful complex game DF is.
Where else would you find a game where :
Cog Sarveshlesast, Pump Operator has given birth to a boy - and a second later
Cog Sarveshlesast, Pump Operator cancels Attend Party: seeking infant.

Somebody must have 'spiked' her drink.

Also I have a problem. I had a dwarf enter a fey mood (I think it was fey) and then she started to run around taking her clothes off. She finished up dying of thirst in the middle of my meeting hall. The problem is her clothes and items are still lying around the place, and whatever I try to do, no one wants to clean up.

A tip for those who embark next to the sea: caravans coming to my for always want to pass along the beach where they are instantly destroyed by the waves. I found that if I dig a channel along the shore when the 'tide is out' the waves will not pass it when they come back. Don't know if a bug or whatever.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: First time poster ...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 04:54:31 am »

For the clothing, the problem is dwarves won't do anything with claimed objects.  You might try making a somewhat large tomb for the poor fey one.  I'm pretty sure dwarves will cart objects to the owner's tomb, but I can't guarantee it.

Any object can just be dumped too, or did you already try that?  Other than that, they should just deteriorate after a (long) while.

And yes, waves obliterate wagons - this is indeed a bug, has been noted, and has already been fixed for the next release.  Could be considered an interesting feature though.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 06:46:44 am »

im sorry for hijacking this thread, but could you explain the items decay a bit more? does everything decay or only leather / cloth / wood stuff?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 07:19:12 am »

I won't be much help.  There is a wiki entry on the matter, but it isn't clear on all of the causes of wear, and doesn't sound to well founded in any case.

Basically, foods and clothing, and maybe some other items, will decay if stored outside, or most commonly if dwarves walk on them, and probably some other methods.  For food it doesn't take a whole lot of trampling to ruin meals or meats - I set up elaborate stockpile/walkway systems with path restictions to keep dwarves walking on food as little as possible.

Clothing also deteriorates, going from one stage of wear to the next at the rate of about one level a year, though it doesn't seem to be an exact rate.  How much trampling effects loose clothing, if at all, I don't know, but I imagine clothing out of direct walking path will be there a long time.  My barracks is littered with wrestled off socks and mittens, many of which have been there a year or so and are still wear-less.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 07:52:34 am »

to make up for my hijack, heres how i get rid of excess clothing...

i build a room (about 5x5 or so) with a bit of distance to the prettier parts of the fortress, sealed off by a door. this is where your garbage will go. also i build several doors in the access tunnel to the garbage room, to stop miasma and probably water. somewhere in that acess tunnel you branch off and build another, small room. this is where you will build either 2 levers or some other triggers for some bridges.

i designate a stockpile in that larger room to take up ALL clothing (i play with dwarves naked) and UNUSABLE armor. (look bottom right of the stockpile setting screen for some stuff there appear additional options, like usable/unusable for armor/clothes/weapons or "prepared food" for well ... food.) this stockpile is also set to only accept "light" materials like cloth and leather, no "meltables".
DO NOT USE BINS.

on one side of the room i build a pit with an atomsmashing bridge at the bottom. designate the pit to garbage dump while youre at it.

on top (would you call that z-1?) of the stockpile theres a tunnel with pressurized water in it, held back by a floodgate. the floodgate and the bridge are both linked to seperate levers outside of the room.

once that stockpile is full, you lock the door, open the lever to the water tunnel and pull(r) the bridge lever. all your crap will be washed down to the bridge and atomsmashed.
turn off the water, keep pulling the other lever a bit longer (water gets destroyed, too), and repeat once the room is full again.

there are some things to consider about atomsmashing, tho: afaik the only part that "smashes" items at this stage of the game is the line of tiles the bridge raises to. if you happen to drop items directly above those tiles, while the bridge is up, they wont fall down, and wont get smashed.

to workaround that i usually have a retracting bridge right over the raising bridge. it pulls in a different rythym than the raising bridge, and therefor has the ability to "remember" items to fall down.

i use this same thing to get rid of whole sieges, right at the entrance, but beware i made the game crash reliably doing so, but i THINK that had somehting to do with the amount of stuff that was linked to the pressure plates. (i only used 3 to trigger around 12 bridges in a weird rythym).

In other games it worked a charm, and if you keep it to your garbage room, it shouldnt be a problem.

oh and something else... i never manage to get my pressure plates triggered by citizens, only by their pets. i havent tried the idea yet, but my plan is to chain a wardog next to two different pressure plates linked to the atomsmashing bridges, so they cycle in different rhythyms all the time.

something else;
i THINK if the clothing in the fortress is still belonging to someone the only thing you probably can do is make sure every dwarf has his own cabinet. amirite? somebody? altho they MIGHT just store that clothing in a clothing stockpile but NOT dump it. and thats why the water thingy is that helpful.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 08:05:48 am by Puck »