Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I change tiles? Is it a bad idea?  (Read 668 times)

Wicked

• Bay Watcher
  • The older I get, the better I was.
    • View Profile
How do I change tiles? Is it a bad idea?
« on: July 11, 2013, 10:44:53 pm »

Hi.
 I started playing a few days ago, using the "Utterly newbie" guides by Tiny Pirate. Then I changed to v0.34.11 when I realised that the version that came from following the guides, was old.
I find I liked the graphics of the old version better than what I have now. Can I change them by copying the tiles from the old version to the new?
 Are there better (whoops, that is a value judgement) - uh - other tile sets that are available? If so where? And what do I do if I find some I like?

Also, while I am here, is there consensus on a best version to learn on?

I can see the rest of my life disappearing into this game if I am not careful, so I will probably be here again.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 10:46:33 pm by Wicked »
If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilisation

Dangerous Beans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I change tiles? Is it a bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 11:02:28 pm »

your best bet might be to get the lazy noob pack with Phoebus installed.
there is a list of graphic sets on the wiki (http://dfweb3.dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Graphics_set_repository#Phoebus.27_Graphics_Pack). i have no idea how complete it is.

edit; hmm, that's not quite right.
you'll also need a tileset (http://dfweb3.dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Tileset_repository#Phoebus). there is more general info on the wiki (http://dfweb3.dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Tilesets).

i really recommend the lazy noob pack, it makes it all much easier.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 11:05:01 pm by Dangerous Beans »

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 11:13:14 pm »

my personal favorite is ironhand graphics but you may have to hunt a little for the 34.11 version. I am unsure about switching gfx packs. i think you have to swap the raws and art files in the save folder

Wicked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 04:27:48 am »

Thanks Dangerous Beans (I think I have come across that name before somewhere, Hi again),

I have downloaded the lazy noob pack, but am unsure where to unzip it so that I keep my current game but with new tiles. Any advice?
If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilisation

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 05:24:24 am »

Dangerous Beans is a... emmm... character in "Maurice and his Educated Rodents", maybe you remember it from there?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 06:38:19 am »

I have downloaded the lazy noob pack, but am unsure where to unzip it so that I keep my current game but with new tiles. Any advice?

Which LNP did you download? This is the most up-to-date: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

Just unzip it into a new directory, copy over your savegame into /Dwarf Fortress 0.34.11/data/save and you are set. Run the Lazy Newb Pack.exe to modify the options and change the graphics packs. It contains 6 graphics packs including Phoebeus and Ironhand, find the one you like the most. (It will only work with 34.11 saves, older ones are not supported.)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 08:32:20 am »

Tilesets can only be mapped to icons, and the icons are set in the raws, and to increase diversity (or readability) some tilesets include altered raws with changes to the icons. This can mean that porting a new tileset, which is designed to be used with its own raws, into an old game can result in some unexpected tile mapping.

I don't know if the tilesets in the most recent LNP do this, but I know the old Mayday packs did. If the tileset is intended to be used with the default, vanilla raws, there is no problem.

However, if your save is vanilla, and the tileset with modified icons is otherwise vanilla, you should be able to port the tileset raws into your save without issue. Make a backup before trying.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 08:35:33 am by Niveras »

Wicked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 11:42:15 pm »

Thanks to all who have replied so far  :)

I have downloaded and installed the most up to date LNP, thanks. Looks like it will be great once I get it figured out :-[

I can't see any indication of which one I have now (the default? before I have changed anything) How do I tell which one is current?

Is there any way of previewing the different tile sets I now have, or do I just have to install them one at a time and look at them?   ::)

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 01:51:10 am by Wicked »

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile