Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Equip military squads  (Read 433 times)

sheykon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Equip military squads
« on: July 11, 2013, 11:06:29 am »

Hi to everyone!

I have quite questions about the game and the military function. but at first I'd like ask you about how equip your squad and its menu, because when I tell to my squad what kind of amour I want they bring, they don't get everything, just a breastplate and something more. I tried to assign dwarf per dwarf all his equipment, helm, shoes, everything, and is... hard-crazy-boring mainly because you don't know which armor has owner and which not from the list. Someone of you can tell me some easy way for equip my military with the Iron armor that I crafted for them o the new steel equipment that I'm just making.

Thank you very much :)

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Equip military squads
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 01:27:01 am »

You could just define an uniform. I think the key commands are [m] for the military menus, [e] for equipment and then [ U ] for uniforms. If that uniform is equipped by your dwarves, there will be a green sign on the [e]quipment screen.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 03:28:49 am by 0cu »

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 01:45:08 am »

Sounds like you are equiping them through "individual weapon/piece of armor". It's usually much easier to create an uniform (n open the uniform menu), make a uniform with all the armor, set it to "replace clothing" and make sure that you have enough armour for everyone. Then go to the equipment screen and there is a option "assign uniforms". Now assign your new uniform to everyone (shift+enter assigned it for whole squad, if I remember correctly). Now they should all run to the armory and pick the free armor.

It's important to remember to set the uniform to "replace clothing", because usually otherwise they wear their civilian clothes under, which causes that they won't equip helm (they have already cap), gauntlets (they have gloves) or boots (they have shoes). Remember though that if you don't have enough armor for them, soldiers will be naked and go mad.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 06:17:14 pm »

Matoro's advice is good.

What I usually do is build up my military in stages.  At first I just pick some dwarves and put them in squads, with no uniform.  They'll run around in their civilian clothes, which is OK because I don't have any armor or weapons yet.

I disable carrying food, but permit carrying drinks.

After I've procured some weapons and a few pieces of armor, I define uniforms.  I don't go for the mad layering that some people prefer -- that weighs them down too much, because they have no armor user skill yet.  My uniforms are all weapon-specific.  For axedwarves I make a uniform with mail shirt, cloak, helm, hood, gauntlets, mittens, leggings, high boots, shield/buckler, and battle axe.  For speardwarves, I make another uniform with the same armor pieces, but with a spear instead of a battle axe, and so on.

At this stage I assign the uniforms to the appropriate squads (each squad is also weapon-specific), but I don't choose "replace clothing" yet.  I let them wear their civilian attire for now, because I don't have enough armor to cover everyone.  This gives spotty piecemeal coverage, but that's better than nothing.

Later, when I have enough armor for a whole squad, I will set all the members of that squad to "replace clothing".  When you do that, they drop everything they are wearing, and gear up from scratch, one piece at a time.  So, don't do this in the middle of a siege, or when you don't have enough leggings for everyone (bare asses are unhappy asses).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz