Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nooby questions.  (Read 857 times)

Rancereya

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Nooby questions.
« on: July 09, 2013, 04:35:18 pm »

I've been goofing around for awhile, but i still have trouble finding my most latest save (I mostly just leave it up to chance/trial and error) and getting my dwarves to continue picking up the items strewn about after reclaiming fortress and setting reclaim on everything.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Nooby questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 05:37:23 pm »

d b c

Then you can select a rectangle or cuboid, and the items in the area will be reclaimed.

Do you have seasonal or yearly backups turned on? Your savegame starts out called 'region1' or something similar, and backups are made as 'region1 <timestamp1>'. When you load region1, your saves are made to region1 and autosaves are named region1 timestamp1. When you load region1 timestamp1, your saves are made to region1 timestamp1 and autosaves are named region1 timestamp1 timestamp2. If you then load that one and allow it to autosave, you get region1 timestamp1 timestamp2 timestamp3.

Just stick to loading and saving to the name you embarked with. Then you'll have one current game, and a neat parade of backups.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Rancereya

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 06:09:11 pm »

I have already reclaimed anything, but my dwarves have simply stopped moving things into stockpiles.
They aren't picking anything out of the wagons to take into the stockpile nor are they picking up the scattered bits.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 06:52:12 pm »

Oh right, must have glossed over the 'setting reclaim on everything' part of the OP.

Quick checklist:

1. Are the stockpiles set correctly? (General stockpiles picked off the lettered menu should be fine, as they start with everything in the category enabled.)
2. Do enough of your dwarves have the appropriate hauling labour enabled?
3. Do you have anything disabled in the hauling orders screen?
4. Have the dwarves moved anything at all to the stockpiles yet?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Rancereya

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 07:07:41 pm »

I have 3 or so correctly set up Stockpiles, everyone is set to haul everything, nothing is disabled in orders and dwarves have moved some things into stockpiles but then stopped.
They have moved trade stuff around since though.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 11:57:13 pm »

Are your dwarves busy with other stuff? You can see the number of idle dwarves in the top right.

Rancereya

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 09:39:49 pm »

there are about ~20 idle dorfs at any one time.

They refuse to pick up corpses/refuse even when they have appropriate stockpiles, marking them as garbage and making a garbage dump hasnt done much either.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 11:48:47 pm »

Check your [o]rders and turn on outdoor refuse hauling and see if that helps.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 01:17:29 am »

I hate that option. I always miss it, even after so many forts and wonder why my dwarves don't pickup butchered stuff outside.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 01:29:47 am »

I hate that option. I always miss it, even after so many forts and wonder why my dwarves don't pickup butchered stuff outside.
Setting my orders screen is pretty much the first thing I do after embarking, so I don't forget later.