Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can Dwarves fall into a coma?  (Read 2690 times)

CreamyDoughnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can Dwarves fall into a coma?
« on: July 07, 2013, 11:29:39 pm »

This is my first fort using this mod and I've never been good at dwarf fort. I've been learning, but let's say that I still don't know how to set up a proper military.

Well, I had a Dwarf and a hunting dog. This dwarf was one of my founders, and actually got really good with a crossbow during his hunts. Well, he happened to try to hunt a pack of drakes. The lizards tore his dog in half right front of him and broke both his legs. I thought he was dead once they broke his arms, but my emergency squad got to him in time. He was basically maimed  and left for dead next to his dog, a farmer saved him and dragged him back to the fort.

That was two years ago.

This dwarf has been resting for two years (uninterrupted) and is periodically bleeding from 'somewhere' every so often. He has long since healed and shows no outward physical injuries, but he's still resting. He seems conscious enough to know he's receiving water and food, but he's just bed-ridden. I'm nearing three years now and I need meat for the inevitable meat-grinder.

I don't know if he's in a fucking coma or just devastated by the loss of the dog (it's his fault, he had a fucking crossbow, pansy.). I just know I want this dwarf to nut up and rejoin his comrades because right now he's the best potential marksdwarf.

And before you talk shit about him, my military commander had his lip cut by a nymph's punch and passed out from the pain. I fucking need this hunter dwarf.

edit: grammar because it's past midnight and I'm tired.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 01:21:53 am by CreamyDoughnut »

CreamyDoughnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can Dwarves enter Comas?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 01:05:27 am »

Just before you ask, I did check everything I could in game.

His health screen shows no health problems. And his body is completely white except the right foot which is a very light brown color (If I'm right, grey is missing, yellow is injured but usable and red is maimed. If light brown is rotting then it's been rotting for two years). I do have crutches available and a chief medical dwarf. I don't have bandages, but that can be changed. He has been well fed and his thirst has been quenched routinely too.

He's just been unconscious for close to three years now.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 01:14:47 am »

is he on a traction bench?  If so deconstruct it. 
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

CreamyDoughnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 01:17:42 am »

is he on a traction bench?  If so deconstruct it.

On a bed in the dormitory. Would it work the same way?

Also... he kinda bleeds a bit every so often despite not being injured. I can tell it's him because the blood is named. Any idea what madness that is?

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can Dwarves fall into a coma?
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 01:29:28 am »

I'd give it a go, worst case he gets plopped into another bed and you're no worse off than you were.

check his thoughts and preferences page, that may show some information as to how he's injured also.
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

CreamyDoughnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 01:40:59 am »

I'd give it a go, worst case he gets plopped into another bed and you're no worse off than you were.

check his thoughts and preferences page, that may show some information as to how he's injured also.

Not injured at all, in fact he's quite happy.

I think he needs therapy.

I'm gonna try the bed trick tomorrow. Knowing my luck he'll just stay on the dormitory floor till his clothes rot off or something. I had a future were-beast at my fortress until I put him under my raised bridge for execution. Do you think if I had a were-beast bite him that might wake him from his coma? I know it regrows limbs so maybe it brings back consciousness and the will to live. I also know he'd of course be a were-beast, but locking him in a tower or something to be an eternal watcher might be cool, after all he was put under when I had only ten dwarves, now I'm at 59. I doubt he'd feel at home in the fort anymore.

Dwarf Kitty

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeking owner to adopt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 03:08:43 am »

You're close on the wound colors.

White is perfectly healthy.

Brown is a minor wound or healing wound.

Yellow is impaired function due to damage.

Red is complete function loss due to damage, such as a broken leg or massive muscle tears.

Light blue is complete function loss without losing most structural integrity, as in disease.

Gray is a severed limb.

Some wounds never heal completely, though.  These stay as brown for minorish wounds or yellow for some impairment.  Limbs with these lingering injuries are going to "bear the marks of old wounds" in the status screen and have large dents or massive scars.

The periodic bleed sounds bad.  You sure there's no infection from washing with bad water?  No pool of pus beneath the hunter?
Menaces with swipes of claw.
Meows with rumbles of purr.

A cute fluffy little creature fond of idle games, DF, and writing.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 03:17:33 am »

Had he fought forgotten beasts with dusts/deadly blood, etc? Happened to a succession game, army commander has been in a coma for 3~years in game. So yes, most likely stacking dusts/extracts.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

CreamyDoughnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 08:04:58 am »

Had he fought forgotten beasts with dusts/deadly blood, etc? Happened to a succession game, army commander has been in a coma for 3~years in game. So yes, most likely stacking dusts/extracts.

Nope, just some drakes that broke his legs and arms.

Some wounds never heal completely, though.  These stay as brown for minorish wounds or yellow for some impairment.  Limbs with these lingering injuries are going to "bear the marks of old wounds" in the status screen and have large dents or massive scars.

The periodic bleed sounds bad.  You sure there's no infection from washing with bad water?  No pool of pus beneath the hunter?

He doesn't 'bear the marks of old wounds' in his description. It's strange because all his other injuries healed in just a few months of that first year. This foot has remained light brown for the last few years.

There's no pool of pus beneath the hunter, which I know is a sign of infection. It's just that usually at the end of every year I see a fresh splatter of his blood near his bed. I can't find a combat report on this. As for creatures that enter the fort, there was only one nymph, which was surrounded by the military squad and beaten into a pulp, it only got to my second floor which is the farms. The living quarters are on the third floor.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 02:57:28 pm »

This isn't a Masterwork question.

CreamyDoughnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 06:17:08 pm »

This isn't a Masterwork question.

I'm using masterworks and I didn't know if this happened in vanilla.

So yea, with the information I had at the time, I thought this as a masterworks question. If it isn't then let a mod handle it.

For anyone wondering, I got the dwarf walking. Removing the bed made him move to another, and after a sleep cycle he was walking again.