Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Molten Rock and Artifact Mechanisms  (Read 627 times)

FlexibleDogma

• Bay Watcher
  • xGiant Cave Spider Silk Sockx Merchant
    • View Profile
Molten Rock and Artifact Mechanisms
« on: June 12, 2008, 09:33:00 am »

These two questions are completely unrelated except they both deal with my most current fortress.

Short questions:
1.  Does molten rock ever go away or does it just sit molten in the lava forever?
2.  If one had an artifact mechanism, what would be the best use for it?

Reasons for asking:
1.  I punched a channel into a volcano and set it up as the garbage dump.  I had my dwarves clean all the rocks out of my farm plots, future tree farm, storage areas, etc.  Now there is a gigantic pile of molten rock where they hit bottom.  While it isn't hurting anything just sitting there, inquiring minds want to know if it ever goes away!
2.  My mechanic went fey and made a artifact mechanism.  I tried making a lever with it but no one has admired it yet, which is making me wonder if they can notice it.  I'll wait a little while to be patient, but if there is anything useful that can be done with a it I'd just like to know (a weapon trap of doom, something that all the dwarves can admire and get happier, or ANYTHING really!).

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Molten Rock and Artifact Mechanisms
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 09:52:00 am »

For 1), yes, they will eventually go away.

For 2), dwarves are capable of admiring traps, floodgates, and the like. You could just build a lever out of the mechanism and not connect it to anything.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Yourself86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 12:43:00 am »

2) Build the lever/trap in a place where your dwarves commute regularely, like in front of the booze storage, the meeting hall or the dining hall. You can also use it to raise the value of a room to "royal" by building the lever/trap in a room, thus meeting the demand of a noble (if you're keeping them alive that is).

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 12:57:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Yourself86:
<STRONG>2) Build the lever/trap in a place where your dwarves commute regularely, like in front of the booze storage, the meeting hall or the dining hall. You can also use it to raise the value of a room to "royal" by building the lever/trap in a room, thus meeting the demand of a noble (if you're keeping them alive that is).</STRONG>

Be even more amusing to kill him with the trap that you're using to elevate his room status to Royal.  :)

Just imagine: Impaled on the ☼Adamantine Giant Corkscrew☼ built with the Artifact Mechanism that is the only piece of furniture in his 1x2 cell aside from the wooden cot he sleeps on.