Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bring the Traders Inside!  (Read 1624 times)

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
Bring the Traders Inside!
« on: July 02, 2013, 05:21:09 pm »

I feel bad for the traders on the edge of the map (as much as one can for a personified pixilated image who acts incredibly stupid). I appreciate their bravery in scouting out (and some times single handedly fighting off) goblin ambushes. But they really aren't prepared for that kind of fighting.

Is there a way to lure the blighters inside my safe haven!? I hate to see them get slaughtered.

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Bring the Traders Inside!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 05:42:29 pm »

They will beeline for a trade depot.

b, D.

This can be used for epic hilarity, as long as they have a clear path to it.
(You can make them go all the way down to cavern layer 3 this way.)

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 06:04:20 pm »

Haha, that made me laugh out loud. I can just imagine their feelings as you raise the bridge preventing their return to the surface. They look around in terror and disgust.  Why did they even come all the way down here... they let their eye fall on the trade depot and to their astonishment... tis made of soap. Breathing a sigh of exasperation they plod their way homewards through unknown caverns that will likely be their tomb.

Do the traders come in when there is a caravan? They still spend a lot of their time outside... maybe I should ask if there is a fix for the bug which makes them.

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 06:18:48 pm »

Wait, are these bugged migrants, or caravan merchants?

Caravan merchants beeline for the trade depot. Bugged out migrants stand around like idiots on the edge of the map, until they either die from thirst, have a mace lodged into their skulls by itinerant greenskins, or an actual caravan shows up and leaves. (They will leave with the caravan).

This is a genuine bug, as they are supposed to be normal migrants who just have skills in accounting and the like, and end up being flagged as merchants and traders.

You can fix them with a DFHack command.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 10:13:16 pm »

If your just trying to get the actual caravan inside ASAP you can sort of controll where it will spawn.   Box off a 3x5 ish area with a pair of raising drawbridges (and your choice for the 3rd wall) and channle down into a tunnle leading to your depot.  As long as that is the only valid path to the depot when the caravan arrives they will always spawn in the fenced off area.   You need to use bridges for 2 of the walls because you cant make normal walls up agianst the edge of the embark but you can with bridges.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 11:01:18 pm »

I can just imagine their feelings as you raise the bridge preventing their return to the surface.
Actually, that feeling may be relief, because at times, it can be safer for a caravan to leave your fortress via the caverns than at surface level. Given the choice between walking out your gates & straight into a goblin siege, or death by insanity from staying inside for months, the merchants would probably prefer the 3rd option, a short trip through a recently-cleansed cavern.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
  • I did it..... FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 12:31:03 pm »

What command is that?

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

GrimDark_Majyyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 12:38:35 pm »

What command is that?
I used ls to check but all I see is fixmerchants and fixdiplomats and the merchants one sounds like it has something to do wrt humans. I didn't notice any others related to this particular bug, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

bodgingbrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 12:50:12 pm »

What command is that?
I used ls to check but all I see is fixmerchants and fixdiplomats and the merchants one sounds like it has something to do wrt humans. I didn't notice any others related to this particular bug, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Highlight the migrant with k and use the command "tweak fixmigrant" in dfhack