Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying to find a song, cannot find it for the life of me.  (Read 1055 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trying to find a song, cannot find it for the life of me.
« on: July 03, 2013, 07:39:24 am »

When I was in Dublin a few months ago I was in a taxi with a Nigerian driver named Victor. He drove like a motherfucker through the streets, listening to what I think was Radio Nova. A song came on the radio that I listened to for about 5 minutes, enjoying watching the city go by. I can remember that part of the chorus sounded something like "city lights", but it doesn't match any song I've found on youtube with that title. The beat and the general riff almost sounded like a Dead or Alive song, and the singer sounded like the lassie in The Human League.

Does anyone here recognise this?

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find a song, cannot find it for the life of me.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 07:44:05 am »

Probably wrong with this, but it just popped into my head when you said "city lights" and a woman sings it, so could it be Empire State of Mind?
Not sure whether you mean the chorus sounds like a song called city lights or has it in it, but somewhere in this song it says city lights. :P I've also never played Dead or Alive, so this is a stab in the dark.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 07:48:55 am »

It was not Empire State of Mind, I'm afraid. You will have heard the band Dead or Alive - they wrote "You spin me round (like a record)". I don't know the name of the song but I remember in the chorus the woman said something like "city lights". The song wasn't as repetitive as You spin me round (like a record), it just sounded like they were using similar synths or something.

I was hesitant to call it New Wave but I'm just going to call it that now.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 07:54:17 am by Owlbread »

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 08:03:32 am »

Oh, you were talking about the group, not the game. :P 'Fraid I don't know then, but good luck in your searchin'.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 09:24:18 am »

Not "Fantasy" by Aldo Nova, or maybe a cover of it?  That has "city lights" and "city nights" a few times - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAVaNlzmxkw

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 01:02:11 pm »

Not "Fantasy" by Aldo Nova, or maybe a cover of it?  That has "city lights" and "city nights" a few times - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAVaNlzmxkw

Yep, it's definitely that song, but I think it was a more new-wave style cover. Thanks very much.