Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What interesting/unusual things have your tantruming dwarves done?  (Read 1558 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Inod Morultashem's official Journal for Raloshar, 'Silverweb', founded 1 Granite 84
21 Hematite, 84

A giant coati, really big but skinny and weak looking, wandered into the keep itself today.  It was scaring off the horse and camel, and the other six don't want to work any where near it.  Not that I blame them.

Thankfully it wandered back out again without causing any trouble.

22 Hematite, 84

This coati is getting annoying.  I've ordered all seven of us to attack it, so we can at least drive it off, if not deal with it more ... permanently.  I've asked Alath Ibrukfikod, the senior mason, to command our makeshift army.

22 Hematite, 84

As we all ran to attack it I realized it was trying to run off with one of our two axes!  I was going to use that axe to fight the beast!

We chased it out of the fortress with Alath, coming in on the other side of it, almost cutting off its escape.  Just north of the partially built wall Ezum Limulorstist, one of the masons, managed to catch up to it and attract its attention.  It dropped the axe and they started attacking each other, mostly ineffectively, while the rest of us charged in.

As we ran up, the beast latched onto Ezum's right leg and began shaking him around like a rag doll. Ezum managed to get in a swing at it, forcing the beast to jump back. Taking the opening, he managed to scramble away from its next bite.  Just before Alath could get to him to help, the giant coati bit down on Ezum's right arm from behind. Ezum swung himself down and with his other hand landed a bruising blow to its left rear leg.  The beast shook him around by his arm a couple times in response.

The beast shook him around a few more times before Ezum managed to scramble free again.  At this point Udil and Sodel are close enough to throw bruising punches, with the rest of us not far behind. Ezum attempts to crawl back towards the keep, but before he could make it very far, he slumped to the ground in a rapidly spreading pool of his own blood.

The rest of us arrived to join Udil and Sodel in battle at this point. We all began punching and kicking at the beast until it fell exhausted to the ground, then we smashed punches into its skull until we were all too tired to fight it any more.

We decided to call the beast Gusilmivid, Coppershrieks, and leave it be while we worked on getting more of the keep set up.  It wasn't much of a threat anymore while it lay there unconscious.

23 Hematite, 84

Gusilmivid still lay out in the woods north of the keep this morning. Sodel, extremely upset at Ezum death, started slamming things around and ranting about how "it would pay" and "I'll show that big hairy monster what's what" and things like that.

Suddenly, he stalked out toward its body. The rest of us could only stare as he walked up to its unconscious form.  This time, instead of punching at it for little effect, Sodel brought up one of the new picks!  A single strike to the head, and the beast was slain!

This wasn't the end, however, as Sodel was still very upset.  Suddenly, he lifted the body up over he head and heaved it a good six urists into a tree!  I don't know about the rest of them, but I just watched in awe that his anger would allow him to throw the beast like that.

I am going to have to figure out how to properly bury Ezum now.  We can't just leave his body out for the birds and who knows what else in this wilderness.

So, I'm almost four months into my newest fortress, trying to get a gneiss defensive wall set up as soon as possible (250 boulders is 1000 rock blocks if you embark with them and set four dwarves to be masons) since my civ is at war with the local goblins, and I embarked near a necro-tower (the goblin war was bonus, I was looking for the tower).  The first migrant wave should show up any time now.

Suddenly this giant coati literally wandered in through the one tile opening in my inner wall and just browsed around checking things out, then wandered back out. When it came back in a short while later and went right to the forge I just knew it was going to steal stuff.  I decided draft all seven of my dwarves and hope i didn't loose to many.  It was "weak" after all, even if it was a giant racoon-aardvark-thing that was just gigantic in size.

Ezum was the fastest of my dwarves and caught up to it right away.  He paid for that, but saved the axe from being stolen.  Sodel was very upset at Ezum's death and threw a tantrum.  Instead of trashing anything in the fort, however, he just walked out and planted his pick in Gusilmivid's head (gee, i wish he's brought that pick with him the first time). I thought it was done at that point, when he threw the body four tiles diagonally!  Then was only very unhappy, instead of miserable (zero happiness according to DT), after he "enjoyed throwing something recently".

I was not aware of the fact they would chuck around fallen foes like that!

This is but the latest example of why I love this game so much!  Even if my wife and her friend were picking on me about it as it transpired. ;)

So, What crazy, odd, or otherwise interesting things have your alcohol dependent stumpies gotten up to while throwing a tantrum?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What interesting/unusual things have your tantruming dwarves done?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 02:09:52 am »

A Dwarf aptly RP'd as Zapp Branigan in Spearbreakers actually managed to wreck a defensive drawbridge. This nut job became one of their best fighters and actually became one of the forts greatest !!FUN!! deterrents. You never know know what the hell the little buggers will end up doing. Oh and he wrecked the bridge by spontaneously deciding to chuck the body of the owner of a sock that he had been after. This had NOTHING to do with tantruming what so ever.

Excuse the derail but it was partially pertinent.
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 02:15:40 am »

A Dwarf aptly RP'd as Zapp Branigan in Spearbreakers actually managed to wreck a defensive drawbridge. This nut job became one of their best fighters and actually became one of the forts greatest !!FUN!! deterrents. You never know know what the hell the little buggers will end up doing. Oh and he wrecked the bridge by spontaneously deciding to chuck the body of the owner of a sock that he had been after. This had NOTHING to do with tantruming what so ever.

Excuse the derail but it was partially pertinent.

The thread feels your love.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 02:21:32 am »

I once had a dwarf who started throwing a tantrum while carrying a wild bee hive back to the fortress.  The results were... rather unexpected.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 02:30:54 am »

My dwarves tend to tear up paved roads when they tantrum. Roads, and the trade depot. It takes forever to build a new depot, too, with all the random junk sitting there that I never bother to stockpile.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 02:33:23 am »

I once had a dwarf, who had JUST been counseled by the mayor, tantrum AGAIN inside the mayor's office, punch the mayor (he was friends with!) in the face, punch the skull through the brain, killing the mayor, and COMPLETELY negating the good thought of punching something, with the "lost a friend to tragedy" thought, and promptly go berserk.

It wasn't pretty.

Vid_the_Impaler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 06:41:09 am »

Once a tantrumming dwarf killed an attacking hydra that I'd wasted several military dwarves trying to kill.

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 07:08:57 am »

I had a tantruming dwarf get ambushed by a kobold.

The kobold stabbed him in the shoulder, tearing the skin. He was not amused and picked him up and threw him into a pond. After breaking his arms and legs and biting his ear off.

Did I forget to mention that the dwarf was a child?
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 07:41:57 am »

An old story.

Orim Erithadim was the chief medical doctor. I liked to call him the mad doctor ever since he was struck by a strange mood and became a bone carver as well as a doctor. Everyone at this time was going through rigorous training gauntlets, that were essentially multiple track races where the slow would fail to reach the end and plummet 20zlvls to their doom. Orim was fixing one of the victors who had a minor leg wound. This Dwarf picks up a crutch and hobbles out of the hospital, giving thanks to Orim before setting off to find alcohol.
At some point, something ticked in Orim's head.
Orim picked up an entire sphalerite boulder and threw it at the ex-patient's head, caving in the skull. Just as he had left the threshold of the hospital.
Slightly more mad doctor.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 08:43:14 am »

THESE are the types of stories I was hoping to hear about.  Even yours, Gargomaxthalus. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 06:46:10 pm »

In my one of my only forts that actually survived long enough without me getting bored to have things attack, I got my first ever goblin ambushes when a dwarvern caravan was coming to trade. A small group of goblins, armed with a mix of lightsabers, crossbows and swords. I sent out my small, 5-dwarf strong militia, all in full iron to deal with them. They didn't manage a hit. The crossbow users shot all but one to bits, and the last was taken out by a lightsaber wielder before he could hit.
A miner then lost it.
He stormed up from the caverns with his pick in hand as the goblins were nearing the gates. He emerged into the sunlight, dodged every shot from the archers, and wrecked the goblins. Almost every hit landed and hacked off a limb or hit something vital. As he emerged from the red cloud, he walked back inside with nothing to show for it but a few bruises and a broken leg.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 07:12:45 pm »

I had a dwarf one time. He was the legendary warrior of the fort. He was legendary in all generic military skills (dodging, fighting etc.) and a legendary swordsdwarf. I leveled up his attributes to, so he was a walking lawnmower. One day his kid got stolen and his wife went crazy and died. He was tantruming all over my fort. First he went to the dining hall and started throwing chairs and tables. and killed 5 war dogs. The he went to the surface. He destroyed all the woodworking shops and killed the workers. He was finally put down by a convenient goblin siege. But not before he killed general and 5 armored and mounted! pikegoblins.

It was sad to see him murdered by creatures he ate for breakfast. But I was happy he wasn't flaying my Armorsmiths anymore.