Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is a hist fig?  (Read 12189 times)

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is a hist fig?
« on: October 09, 2007, 09:03:00 am »

I\m just curious. Is it just a figure in history or something more esoteric?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: What is a hist fig?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 01:27:00 pm »

It's any person or group that the game keeps track of the name and actions of.

If some random deer kicks one of your dwarves' faces in, then that deer becomes a hist fig: It killed a dwarf, it's now important, it can show up in carvings, on art...the game will remember who killed that legendary deer..etc.

I'm not sure if EVERY named thing in adventurer mode is a hist fig, but I wouldn't be surprised.  In dwarf mode on the other hand, I think named kobolds and the like are considered less important. (Unless they kill a dwarf of course.)

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 04:58:00 pm »

A "historical figure", or a character the game has recorded some info about.

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 07:22:00 pm »

So when a world is created, the game creates a bunch of named people to populate/rule towns and cities? And when you abandon a fort it saves them so that you can confront the creature in adventure mode. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 02:40:00 am »

Also, nameless creatures can "earn" names and become historical figures by killing enough things, particularly named things.  The game will inform you when this happens in Fortress mode by saying that your dwarves have started calling, say, the killer elephant by such-and-such name.

Just having a name isn't enough pop up on the legends screen, of course...  for that, you need to have a lot of kills, or do something special like creating an artifact, or be one of the legends created when the world was forged or something.  Or kill / be killed by a legend, of course.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 10:17:00 am »

I had my dwarves give an injured cave crocodile a name. It killed nothing I could see, but it was floating around in the middle of the river periodically going unconscious. Maybe it was killing frogmen or something. But I'm positive it killed nobody... it practically couldn't, since it would go unconscious every four seconds.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 01:50:00 pm »

Maybe they just thought it was funny, and needed a name for it so they could gloat better?  :)
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 01:54:00 pm »

Probably. They gave it some name with the word "flowers" in it.

It was quite funny, the poor thing just kept going unconscious every four seconds and sat around. It even had the courage to very, very slowly crawl onto land and towards the doors leading to the rest of the fortress.

I finally had to get rid of it since dwarves pissing their pants and running away crying from an unconscious, injured cave crocodile were getting annoying :P

If I ever get the chance I should check to see if it got noted in the legends screen. Maybe I can find out what it did besides crawl around coughing.