Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Indoor stockpiles  (Read 1031 times)

Hectorine

• Bay Watcher
  • Holy shit! Those are some ill-ass !!☼Kicks☼!!
    • View Profile
Indoor stockpiles
« on: June 11, 2008, 07:36:00 pm »

I've just started to seriously play DF, before I would typically pick a nice looking place, which would usually leave me with bupkis stone-wise and nowhere to dig but down.  Only recently did it dawn on me to build into a mountain, which all works favorably until I try to bring my stockpiles indoors. Since I seem unable to place stockpiles over rocks (but quite capable of placing tables and chairs over them) I'd love to hear suggestions on how to quickly clean up indoor storage rooms.

This little problem has led me to abandon three fortresses and purposely flood/burn 4 others out of existence.  Destruction is fun, but I'd like to see what happens when my dwarves are alive long enough for their anvil arrive, so any help would be appreciated.

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 07:55:00 pm »

You have two options:

Firstly make a stone stockpile outside and have all your dwarves shift stone out of your fortress. This is normally best when you are only just starting, thus only have a small space to clear, or when you have a large immigration that hasnt been assigned yet.

Second options is interesting but best used only in specific areas. Dig a square and then dig a channel next to it. Set the square AND the channel as a garbadge dump using zones, make sure its the same zone and not 2 seperate zones. The for the specific stones you want shifter use k to inspect the stone and mark the stone for dumping. All the dumped stone will fill the single pit square and wont overflow.

2nd option is used alot for clearing storage and workshop space in places with high class miners who leave stone every square.

PS only very rarely will anything be allowed to build on stone, even workshops break when built on stone rubble.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 08:12:00 pm »

You can build stockpiles over stones, you just can't see them. While most stockpiles will get filled up around the stones, the food stockpile will handily ignores the detritus. I think armor, weapon and finished good stockpiles do as well, but don't quote me on that.

Alternatively, if you still need your dwarves to clear an area, designate something large to be built, like a maxed tile paved road. They'll shift all the stones out of the area, you'll get a nice smooth floor, builds architecture skill and it adds to the road value of the fort. Win win really.

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Hectorine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 11:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Osmosis Jones:
<STRONG>You can build stockpiles over stones, you just can't see them. </STRONG>

So you can...

I had just discovered this as my dining hall/kennel flooded with lava...what a terrible waste.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 11:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cryten:
<STRONG>Second options is interesting but best used only in specific areas. Dig a square and then dig a channel next to it. Set the square AND the channel as a garbadge dump using zones, make sure its the same zone and not 2 seperate zones. The for the specific stones you want shifter use k to inspect the stone and mark the stone for dumping. All the dumped stone will fill the single pit square and wont overflow.</STRONG>

You don't actually have to set the garbage dump on top of a channel for it to work, actually. You can just set the dump on the ground, say, next to the masonry, or the craftsdwarf's workshop.

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 11:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hectorine:
<STRONG>

So you can...

I had just discovered this as my dining hall/kennel flooded with lava...what a terrible waste.</STRONG>

Wanton, unnecessary destruction.. a waste?

Hectorine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 12:36:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Dullard:
<STRONG>

Wanton, unnecessary destruction.. a waste?</STRONG>

Personally, I don't mind it, but no one will eat the shit after it's been burned beyond recognition.  I suppose they don't want to run the risk accidentally consuming the cook or trainers that were unable to escape due to a quarantine that forbid anyone from entering/leaving that specific area until it was purged of all noxious toxins (if you know a better way to control miasma, I'd like to hear it).

quote:
Originally posted by Untelligent:
<STRONG>

You don't actually have to set the garbage dump on top of a channel for it to work, actually. You can just set the dump on the ground, say, next to the masonry, or the craftsdwarf's workshop.</STRONG>

I'm still having trouble understanding, if I set a dumping zone next to a channel or workshop, my dwarves can throw just about anything in there, like a black-hole for filth or something?

[edit]

Anyway, isn't there a way I can just dump my crap into a river and be through with it?

[ June 12, 2008: Message edited by: Hectorine ]

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 12:51:00 am »

You can indeed.  If you set a garbage disposal zone next to a dropoff of some kind, your dwarves will fling the dumped goods into space rather than leaving them on the floor.  Chucking things in the river (But not a brook, unless you channel part of the brook to make an actual deep water tile) in that way will cause the flow to move the objects, possibly pushing them out of the map.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.