Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Critique my fortress! Again!  (Read 577 times)

GameHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Critique my fortress! Again!
« on: October 08, 2007, 12:35:00 am »

Murdered Salves, Year 9

Take a look, tell me what you think.

I'm most pleased with the bedroom arrangement; I used a fractal design I copied from the dwarf fortress wiki (windmill villas)

I'm still struggling with hauling; I have a ton of crap left from previous sieges sitting in my main entrance hall

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
Re: Critique my fortress! Again!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 11:56:00 am »

Well, first thing I see is that you dont have guard rails on your river/chasm bridges. This leaves your dwarves vulnerable to floods, dodging and being dragged into the chasm. I would also tend to pave over the exposed sections of the chasm along the central corridor. It helps prevent 'accidents'.   :)

Secondly, I see all your looms are way back by the magma. This puts them a long way from your silk collection points (at cave river) and your farms if youre weaving from pigtails.

Lastly, I think in practice your ballista's are too close to the entrance. Any civillians with siege firing enabled will freak out and run after they are in bow/arrow range. Looks like you havent left enough room to funnel attackers into the main corridor to increase your hit chances. Your operators will flee as soon as goblins take a few steps inside.

[ October 08, 2007: Message edited by: Silveron ]

Olix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 07:55:00 am »

The bedrooms look cool. I will have to nick this design.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 08:50:00 am »

how do you upload this kind of map?
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 09:39:00 am »

go to the site and look. there is a procedure there. Basically, get the utility, take a screenshot in-game, run utility, upload the resultant fdf-map file to the site.