Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 'Rightie' Was Her Name.  (Read 881 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
'Rightie' Was Her Name.
« on: June 18, 2013, 10:34:13 pm »

It all started when there was a alert - a Thief had been spotted while the Elves were in the Trade Depot of Scarmirrors.  The Militia were sent out.  It seemed an easy target.  Just a kobold.  What could go wrong?  The Fortress had dealt with many such criminals, as well as one Goblin siege, and a Minotaur   

What went wrong was an ambush by a Master thief!  And a running fight, all the way to the border of the Barony in which the scum got away.  But not before giving a minor wound to one of the MarksDwarfs and pretty much destroying the legs of the Militia commander herself. 

The all clear was sounded and the warrior headed back to the gate, promising to send some citizens back for their wounded commander.

But right when things looked normal there was another ambush.  The visiting Trader was attacked and killed by a band of Goblins!  The Fortress closed up again, leaving the wounded commander, Erith Dorenotho locked outside! 

But the Captain of the Guard had rushed outside before the last bridge had lifted and rushed into the horde.  And was killed within seconds, because he was, after all, Captain of the Guard, a lightly armed and rarely trained unit of warriors whose job was to keep the peace.  I mean, really, what was Aban Bomrekasdug thinking?

The Goblins made short work of the fool and marched past the walls and attacked the lone Dwarf.  Not an bolt was fired from the walls, not even from 'Bullseye' as the troops were sapped from the fighting-chase they had just returned from. They were in the barracks trying to sleep! Only a few obeyed to position themselves onto the walls.

They watched as their unit commander put up a struggle with her crossbow.  She was able to wound many, but in the end a legless archer, no matter how brave or skilled, is no match for spears and maces.  They killed her and tore apart her body.

By than it was decided enough was enough.  And both units were sent out.  One MaceDwarf, 'MinotaurSmasher', entered what could only be said to be a frenzy and was soon attacking with Mace, fists, and teeth. 

When all warriors rushed in the Goblins were both outmatched and outnumbered.  Few escaped the resulting battle!

New commanders for both squads were selected - the Militia Command was a young adult Dwarf who was one of the first born in the colony.

After the bodies were buried, equipment collected, and units set back to their barracks it was found out that the minor wound that the female archer had received was the lose of her LEFT HAND!  Yet she still fought during the battle and returned to training after the all clear was once again given.

She was not reassigned, which would have been logical, but given a battle axe to replace her crossbow, and a chain shirt to wear with her leathers to help protect her, and giving the name - 'Rightie'
----------------
This happened in a game today and, to my knowledge, 'Rightie' did not even bother to go to a hospital!   How did she stop the bleeding?   :-\

Man, did I screw up this second battle.  The first siege went like clock work - we hit them with volleys of bolts from the walls and then sallied out and overwhelmed the walking wounded as they tried to escape.  But in this one the Dwarfs were barely responding to my commands - sluggish and confused.  I truly think they were drained of energy from all the pre-battle running!
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: 'Rightie' Was Her Name.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 01:26:18 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - there are no heroes. Only Dwarves sliding bolts to cripple just that one last goblin before dying alone.