Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lack of Sand, Civs  (Read 894 times)

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
Lack of Sand, Civs
« on: June 11, 2008, 12:26:00 am »

Just started an new Fortress.  I've got plenty of trees, water in spring/fall/summer, and now that I've found the magma pipe, magma and obsidian.
What I do not have is sand.  I could have sworn it said I had red sand on the location selection screen, but when I look about, I cannot find one square.  What can I do about this?  Or do I just grit my teeth, do without glass, and maybe build with wood.

Also, I could have sworn that the location screen said that I had access to Dwarves, Elves, Humans, and Goblins, but when I press 'c' on the fortress screen, it just shows my Dwarven civilization?  Does that mean I only have access to them?  Also, does that mean I won't be facing sieges?

"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
Re: Lack of Sand, Civs
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 12:32:00 am »

If you don't mind cheating, go into the raw\objects folder and go into the matgloss_stone_soil.txt file.  Find the type of soil that matches the sedimentary layer where you embarked, and add [SOIL_SAND] to its entry.  Suddenly all exposed squares of that are sand (the graphics will even change).

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 12:37:00 am »

I think civs don't get added to the list until you have some contact with them, though I'm not certain about that.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 12:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Demonic Gophers:
<STRONG>I think civs don't get added to the list until you have some contact with them, though I'm not certain about that.</STRONG>
Exactly correct.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 04:20:00 am »

The sand thing is a real pain as nobles seem to be very fond of glass windows, dwarves in strange moods often request glass, and yet without sand (or rock crystal which I've never yet discovered) there's nothing you can do about it, as none of the components for glasswork can be imported.

At the moment, I've got an immigrant glassmaker in a strange mood, and not a grain of sand within 100 miles.

Fooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 05:17:00 pm »

Even more annoying is actually having found 5 or 6 rock crystal clusters on a sandless map, but the moody dwarfs, which want glass, all want either green or clear glass.  My raw crystal glass was just ignored. ARGH!

Glass seems to be the one item type where they can request a certain type still for artifacts.  Their hints and messages are clearly decipherable when they want green glass or clear glass.

dsi1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »

I'm not sure about this, but when my farmers and other dwarves went outside for some reason or another, they puked everywhere. So, I moved my zoo outside and after a party or two,sand, everywhere!
Me: I developed a way to catch demons which shoot web, then I forced it to work in a sweatshop and shoot its magma-proof web at children so I can collect it to make clothes.

Friend: Holy shit.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 05:45:00 pm »

1: They're puking because of cave adaptation. Dwarves living underground for too long without seeing the sun will from then on puke every time they go outside. While hilarious, this generates an unhappy thought.

2: Sand is often covered with grass when you show up. The first layer of soil in your case is red sand, and grass grows on the surface. You can dig underneath it from inside your fortress so you have an indoor way to get to the sand.
Grass is trampled by Dwarves, which reveals the soil type underneath. It will grow back eventually if they stop trampling it. I once witnessed grass grow in DF. It was magical.

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic