Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sieges and wall-trenching ammo saves  (Read 918 times)

Angellus

Sieges and wall-trenching ammo saves
« on: June 10, 2008, 01:40:00 pm »

How the heck does this work? XD
As far as I have understood this you have to make(?) or keep a wall up with a trench before it, if so;

- can it be filled with water?
- will ALL ammo be saved?
- Is it dangerous for dwarves to fetch ammo while ammo falls down?
- can floodgates be used as walls?
- how about bridges (tried this, read it worked, didnt for me)

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sieges and wall-trenching ammo saves
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 03:10:00 pm »

- can it be filled with water?

Absoloutely. You'll need to drain it to retrieve the ammo, though.

- will ALL ammo be saved?

As long as it's flight terminates on a wall with a trench in front of it, yes. (Build a second-story archery range walled with nothing but fortifications and aiming down to the edge of the map in a tower to see this dramatically illustrated - ALL of the missed bolts will wind up near the map's edge.)

- Is it dangerous for dwarves to fetch ammo while ammo falls down?

Not at all. I built my siege training grounds in an active mine and used stockpiles to funnel the ammo from the trench back up to the training room.

- can floodgates be used as walls?

Absoloutely.

- how about bridges (tried this, read it worked, didnt for me)[/QB][/QUOTE]

If the bridge is up, yes, it will. An open bridge will not. (But they're even more useful simply to mash critters.)

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 03:16:00 pm »

Here's a graphical illustration for you.

# = Wall tile
_ = Trench tile
 = ground tile

B = Bridge tile

code:

With the drawbridge closed, like this... Shooting from the south:
##############
____BBBBB_____

Any weapons at all - arrows, ballastae bolts, catapult-launched rocks - will fall to the Z-Layer below. The Bridge forms a solid wall when it's retracted.

code:

##############
____BBBBB_____
____BBBBB_____
____BBBBB_____

Like this, however, the bridge is down, spanning the pit. Any arrows, bolts, logs, stones, which fly over the bridge itself and impact on one of the five walls above it will be destroyed - bolts and arrows may form a pile of rubble on the bridge's top five squares.

You can just raise the bridge and Atom-Smash the rubble, though.   :)

[/CODE]

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: ShadowDragon8685 ]

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 03:37:00 pm »

Does this work with bolts? Or just seige ammo?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »

It does, but projectile weapon ammo, such as bolts, is automatically marked as Forbidden once launched - presumably to prevent your peasent hordes from running into the line of fire to retrieve the bolts that don't get destroyed.

You'd have to manually reclaim every single bolt, and then you'd have a Kilofuckton of one-bolt stacks of bolts lieing around; not worth it. trust me.

Angellus

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 03:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ShadowDragon8685:
<STRONG>It does, but projectile weapon ammo, such as bolts, is automatically marked as Forbidden once launched - presumably to prevent your peasent hordes from running into the line of fire to retrieve the bolts that don't get destroyed.

You'd have to manually reclaim every single bolt, and then you'd have a Kilofuckton of one-bolt stacks of bolts lieing around; not worth it. trust me.</STRONG>

unless made of adamantine off course ^^.

Thanks alot for your explanation about the siege projectiles  :), this makes siege ballista's more profitable  :)

(Do ballista's pass every enemy as far as it can fly?, theoretically could I do forever with one adamantine ballista-arrow?)

Goblins beware, murderhallways are coming  :)

Angellus

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 03:56:00 pm »

With the drawbridge closed, like this... Shooting from the south:
##############
____BBBBB_____

I'm not sure I understand if you mean that there is a difference between a normal and a drawbridge?
Why did the bridge become bigger in the second picture?

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 04:21:00 pm »

In theory you could, but you're going to want to have a stockpile of them anyway, lined up behind the ballastae (the plural of ballasta. You do NOT want to rely on only one.) You want your operators to be able to just grab another bolt and rock and roll - lock them in so they don't scewily pathfind to the bolts in the trench, either. You can collect those after the battle to reload your torpedo bay.

A retractable bridge simply dissapears when it's pulled up, and anythin on it simply falls. A Drawbridge forms a wall (the bottom of the bridge) when it's pulled up on the retracting squares, and they will Dwarven Atom-Smash (utterly destroy beyond all hope of recovery) anything that's on the bridge at the time. They'll also destroy most things under the bridge, but demons are a special case which destroy the bridge, because everyone was using the Dwarven Atom Smashers to solve their demon incursions. (I don't know if they destroy the bridge when it crushes them upwards, either.)