Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Build them already...!  (Read 1377 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Build them already...!
« on: June 10, 2008, 12:05:00 pm »

I've been waiting, literally, years for my Masons to construct four golden archery targets on a constructed, fortified balcony overlooking my fort's entrance.

There are four unblocked stairways leading up to the balcony. My marksdwarves have no trouble going to their stations up there during a siege, so the path to them is not blocked.

The gold bars, the material I chose to use, are in a Bar/Block stockpile which is in regular use, several z-levels down. There is full access to them also.

I have five masons with both Masonry and Architecture enabled. The unbuilt archery targets state they are "waiting for Architect". The masons are usually milling about with 'No Job' except when they're pumping out new doors and such in the workshop level.

At first, the archery targets were going to be Granite. But after a year of waiting for their constuction, I tried cancelling them and using Gold Blocks instead. None of them, Granite or Gold, were ever built.

I already have 5 targets built underground in the Barracks level, which my marksdwarves regularly use. But I want to put some on the balcony, so that I can spot ambushers when my marksdwarves are off-duty.

So, what am I doing wrong?

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: Moogie ]

I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Elitay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Build them already...!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 12:30:00 pm »

I had the same problem recently. Could you have selected 'Soldiers Can go Outdoors' from the 'o' menu? That would do it.

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 01:13:00 pm »

<snip>

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: Jamuk ]

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 01:16:00 pm »

I wish it were the case, but I checked that too. My trade depot is in an 'outside' area in the front courtyard, and they are quite happy to bring items there. Also I've been building some perimeter walls to protect incoming traders.

Still, even when there's nothing else to do, these constructions simply sit there,  waiting to be built. The masons, as I mentioned before, state "No Job" (NOT "On Break").

Another weird thing happened just now, but I think I can explain it. My Legendary bonecrafter suffered 2x Art Defacement, but he's no Engraver, so I can only assume some of his stray Masterpiece bone bolts that were fired into my magma moat were considered "art" and therefore caused the unhappy thought when they burned up.

I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 01:20:00 pm »

Are you using gold bars or blocks (both were mentioned)?  It shouldn't make much difference as far as architecture is involved (which is what appears to be the problem), but masons don't handle the building of stuff from metal bars.  If it's a native gold block then they'll do it, but not if it's a golden bar.

Like I said, it shouldn't really have an effect on architecture, but give the architecture job to a metalsmith and see if anything happens.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 02:03:00 pm »

Another problem: I've got a rope nearby which DID have a war dog chained to it (until a whole squad of Goblin Marksmen slaughtered it).

Now nobody will dismantle the rope. It's been slated for removal as long as the archery targets have been waiting for the masons.

=(

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »

Do you actually have an Architect, or just masons?

If it's "waiting for Architect", then it's waiting for a dwarf with the architecture behavior enabled to come 'round and zone the site for construction. Another pointless piece of headache from the great guys that brought you boozebiscuits.

[edit]Nevermind, you say your masons have architecture enabled?

Maybe they're not skilled enough? I dunno, build some roads to train up their skillz.

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: ShadowDragon8685 ]

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 03:09:00 pm »

Nobody seems to have hit it yet, and I'm not sure about this exact instance, but I've had similar problems when I made rooms out of platinum blocks. You need to have a metalsmith, not a mason.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 03:53:00 pm »

The construction:
Try removing the archery target construction designation, and making it again. Also try making a target out of normal rocks.
And try making something else in the room, like a workshop, out of other materials and try making it out of the same gold blocks.
I assume the targets are not Suspended.

The Dwarves:
Turn off the masonry and architect jobs on a dwarf, draft him, undraft, and set his jobs again.
Try taking a hauler or something and turning on those jobs. Maybe he will work.

The materials:
Is the container holding the gold Forbidden or set to Dump?
It's plausible that the gold was set to be used by some other job, and that job hasn't come up yet. I can't recall how to check for that.
Are you absolutely certain you chose the gold in the stockpile, rather than gold somewhere else (like forbidden out in the wilderness where the caravan dropped it)?
Finally, check out those gold blocks (bars?) and make sure they're not set to Dump or Forbidden.

Pathfinding:
You say the Dwraves can reach the work site. They sometimes have trouble building diagonally, are you giving them room to stand while they build?
Like an above poster said, are your settings for Dwarves going outside letting them go out? Try toggling the setting, unpausing, and toggling it back to let them go out.
Are there restricted walking zones around the area?

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »

Thanks for the checklist. x)

Something must have finally worked. I drafted new masons/architects and also re-set the others labors and re-constucted the targets (again). They finally got built, and just in time for 50 (ouch!) Goblin Siegers and a Hydra to turn up.

I caged the Hydra. Woot! And I managed to protect a Human caravan of 6 wagons and 4 camels until the siege was broken. I finally feel like I'm mastering this game. =)

I wish I could go away happily now, but I'm afraid a new issue has cropped up. xD I feel a screenshot will best describe it:

:D

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: Moogie ]

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 09:37:00 pm »

Well, right there's your problem.  Wrestlers giving birth to girls is just wrong!

(Actually, I have no clue, but I'm tired and I posted in spontaneity)

"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."