Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Idea for forgotten beast / titan trap + Easy military training.  (Read 2011 times)

siprus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyway I ran into some dwarf fortress comic where a titan was trapped walled in to small room (dwarf hero distracted the titan but got eventually killed)

This gave me an idea. What about walling in a titan and then engraving fortifications on the walls and give your marksdwarfs practice target. Maybe you could build this trap room in advance and have moats between the forgotten beast and the archers (if it's necessary).

This gave me even better idea. You could construct pitfall trap. When dangerous non-flying beast comes to your fortress, you lead it to retractable bridge, and drop it to room surrounded by fortifications and maybe a (empty or full) moat.  Maybe you could use room like this to trap even flying beast if you somehow can lure it in.

After you have entrapped the beast you can use it for archery practice and maybe train a crossbow hero :D.

Few questions.
- Can retractable bridges be destroyed from underneath.
- Can anything destroy fortifications
- If so can moat be used to prevent non fliers from doing that
- Do forgotten beasts/ titans recover health over time. (for infinite target practice).

+ Any suggestions how to lure those beast inside this room.

LaikaBauss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for forgotten beast / titan trap + Easy military training.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 10:55:58 am »

Wazzup

Hey i may be wrong in some points here, but this is waht i know:
Q1; Bridges will only be destroyed is you try to atom smash a titan or forgotten beast. Or ordering your dwarfs to deconstruct it.

Q2; Yes!!! Dwarves.

Q4: Im sure any living organism will recover over time. With some exceptions depending on what is damaged>

GL

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 12:42:03 pm »

Kitten bait is a perennial winner for luring in a freind.  Also, artifact furniture that is built in the room works.  All of the MB and FB are building destroyers.

siprus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 05:38:17 pm »

Helpless kittens as bait for dragon? To bait a dragon for eternity of living arrow target. I like this idea more and more.

Anyway Dragon fire can destroy bridges! From what i have heard they don't acivtly try to destroy bridges but a kitten comes between dragon and bridge your bridge is in danger. (magma resistant materials won't melt straight away, but I heard they will eventually break.

I'm also wondering if dragon can melt bridge under water. Probably no.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 07:56:28 pm »

Helpless kittens as bait for dragon? To bait a dragon for eternity of living arrow target. I like this idea more and more.

Anyway Dragon fire can destroy bridges! From what i have heard they don't acivtly try to destroy bridges but a kitten comes between dragon and bridge your bridge is in danger. (magma resistant materials won't melt straight away, but I heard they will eventually break.

No, it will just boil away all of the water and then destroy the bridge.

Also, retracting bridges will not retract with a Dragon on top.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

siprus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 09:42:19 pm »

Good thing to know. Thought this might be too easy way to deal with an dragon... Same probably applies to titans. Titans can jump down ledges(according to wiki page) Wonder if the can't get up if they climb down to kill a single dwarf. Anyway Titan just appeared, and my military sucks. Gotta come up with some way to deal with it. Gonna trap myself inside my fortress until preparations are ready.

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 09:28:16 pm »

Good thing to know. Thought this might be too easy way to deal with an dragon... Same probably applies to titans. Titans can jump down ledges(according to wiki page) Wonder if the can't get up if they climb down to kill a single dwarf. Anyway Titan just appeared, and my military sucks. Gotta come up with some way to deal with it. Gonna trap myself inside my fortress until preparations are ready.

Can't you just, um, cage trap it and then drop it in a pit and obsidianize it?
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

siprus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 09:43:30 pm »

You can just trap a completely healthy titan with few cage traps? I guess they should fix that in future patches. In the mean while I wonder if you could tame yourself a titan :D

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 09:49:09 pm »

No you cannot use cage traps to trap titans. Dragons that didn't live in a lair on your map, yes, but titans and forgotten beasts are trap-avoid, so you'll have to web them with GCS while they're standing on the trap.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 11:48:39 am »

No you cannot use cage traps to trap titans. Dragons that didn't live in a lair on your map, yes, but titans and forgotten beasts are trap-avoid, so you'll have to web them with GCS while they're standing on the trap.
Doesn't stunning them make them temporarily vulnerable?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 01:09:23 pm »

you can atomsmash a dragon if your world is young enough, but unless you go into legends you can't tell.  In any case, dragons are BAD for target practice, they tend to die easily.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 04:38:39 pm »

I have had quite a lot of experience with FB/MB trapping.  The simplest way to go about this is as follows:

1: Set up a room connected to the caverns.  Have the cavern connection blockable with a raising bridge, and chain up an animal inside as bait.  Puppies work pretty well.  Connect the bridge to a lever, and use this trap setup to capture a web-spitting FB.  They are pretty common (unlike GCS, which I only rarely encounter, but they work just as well). 
2: Chain up another animal, and build it into a wall of fortifications. 
3: On the interior-side of the animal-wall, build a raising bridge (to block line-of-sight to the animal-wall) and fill the rest of that room with cage traps. 
4: Get the FB to wander close enough to the wall to start webbing the trapped animal.  Webs should spray all over the cage traps. 
5: These cage traps can now capture ANYTHING (your dwarfs, forgotten beasts, dragons, elven diplomats, whatever) (except you can't catch anything that produces webs!) so be clever and try to get your target to wander into the web-traps!

Once you get some beasts caged, it is simple to weaponize them depending on their strengths, or to set them up as target-practice if they are one of the unkillable variety.  I had a fortress where a giant-glass-man that spewed vomit-causing dust was used to routinely slay sieges.  Don't expect your trap setup to work perfectly the first time, though.  It took quite a few iterations of the system before a reliable setup was created.  Make sure you have appropriate measures in place to take care of things should you fail. 
where is up?

siprus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 05:34:47 pm »

I read that anything that has wounded your dwarfs can't be tamed. But if titan/dragon has no time to hurt any of your dwarves (or animals) is it possible to tame them :D

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 07:18:22 pm »

Doesn't stunning them make them temporarily vulnerable?
[NOSTUN]
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.