Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Furniture wear  (Read 934 times)

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Furniture wear
« on: June 18, 2013, 08:39:30 am »

I think we're all used to clothing wearing after a (short) period of playtime.

Imagine my surprise to find a x=iron table=x installed in one of my justice cells.

Given the cell is currently in use by my vampire (convicted for two murders), he has had a few tantrums from clothing rot, and started a fist fight with the mayor while they were having a meeting to discuss how unhappy he was.  Maybe that caused the wear?  The adjacent throne is not showing wear.  Oh, the vampire has been standing in the square with the table, but didn't think that did anything?

Sorry, no screenshot available, I have nowhere to uplink and I'm not going to register with imgur or the like just to post a SS.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Furniture wear
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 08:49:01 am »

I'm pretty sure that's not so much wear as it is damage. He likely threw the table or something along those lines during one of his tantrums.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 09:06:34 am »

Does throwing objects cause damage to them?  I wasn't aware of that; I thought only building destroyers attacking them could cause damage directly.

I've never seen a piece of metal furniture gain wear before, but wooden stuff will in extremely cold environments at least.  I was most puzzled the first time I embarked in such a place to find half of my workshops had deconstructed over the winter.  I then checked and found lots of XXoak blockXXs in my remaining workshops.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 09:07:57 am »

Note 1 - he's currently stuck on pickup equipment while still chained.  Maybe that's having an effect?

Note 2 - table is now XX (mangled)

Per your point Repseki, he's been on pickup equipment job since this whole thing started.  Hasn't tantrumed (monitoring).  Trying to pickup equipment as I militarised him to quickly get some clothes on.
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 09:12:59 am »

Final followup, the table has been destroyed i.e. its disappeared from the room (and not in his inventory).

So it was damage not wear.  I wonder if the job pickup equipment was him trying to pickup/tear apart/whathaveyou the built table?  If so, sweet - learned something new. 8)
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 12:29:13 am »

Are you sure the table was built instead of sitting in a refuse stockpile?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 02:01:28 am »

Are you sure the table was built instead of sitting in a refuse stockpile?

Definitely built (part of my justice jail cell setup).
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 02:26:02 am »

Tantruming dwarves can destroy buildings, which will leave the building components XXwornXX if they do not complete the destruction.

I had some FUN once in an underwater fort where there were destroyable glass windows to outside in the dining hall.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 02:48:34 am »

Tantruming dwarves can destroy buildings, which will leave the building components XXwornXX if they do not complete the destruction.

I had some FUN once in an underwater fort where there were destroyable glass windows to outside in the dining hall.

<wince>
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Urist McKoga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 12:41:03 pm »

Oh, thanks for that, my current fort is close to ocean, and i thinking to make a giant aquarium in my dining hall. (still going to make, but no more clear glass windows).

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 01:46:17 pm »

Maybe just add a layer of fortifications around the windows so they can't reach them? Wouldn't want your dwarves to miss seeing all the pretty fish or drowning children.