Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changes since I last played?  (Read 947 times)

Changes since I last played?
« on: June 13, 2013, 02:09:38 pm »

Ok - it's been quite a while so I'm not asking for a full list. Essentially I've semi-lurked but haven't really played in at least a year! Now I saw Gnomoria on Steam and said "F-ck dat, I need the straight dope yo!". But now comes the daunting task of relearning everything, so if someone could maybe tell me what in their opinion are the biggest changes I should (and might already) be aware of that'd be just swell!  ;D

Also: My biggest issue back when I last played was being too much of a spend-thrift to just magma junk 90% of items and then having far too much crap for caravans and a near crippling amount of hauling jobs (plus excess items probably clogging my comp speed). I was wondering if this is still a common problem and if so, how do you cope? Do I *really* need to just set all invader items straight to magma junk?

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
Re: Changes since I last played?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 02:16:45 pm »

although i cannot figure them out, minecarts are in.  wheelbarrows move rocks faster.  also, just dump all the stuff in one tile.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 02:48:29 pm »

Nah - I read about QSP but I don't want to do it. I understand the game is in development and as such there are strange workarounds for some issues but I don't want to exploit or power game which that feels like to me. I also don't want to do infinite metal tricks, etc.

My major issue as I recall though is just not knowing what to do with the sheer amount of junk accumulated vs the paltry and small bartering resources of the caravans. I'm really hoping that you can trade away most of your junk but I'm uncertain if to begin anew since that's always a daunting task after not playing for a while and I'm afraid to run into the same frustrations.

BTW: I love this game, gave moneyz once upon a time - perhaps will yet again, regard it as a work of art, much respect, etc., just it can be a HUGE time sink and since it is unfinished I'm wary of rededicating time if there's been little progress on my particular hang-ups. (Which last I recall were hauling and what to do with stuff I make and scavenge that isn't needed for defense.)

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 02:50:57 pm »

well the latest version is 34.11 and that has been out for just over a year. what exactly was the last played version number you had?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 03:01:32 pm »

Just leave the junk laying forbidden on the ground if you don't want it, and don't feel like hauling it.  As you seem to realize, having all your dwarves meticulously scavenge up all this extra crap and stockpile it is something you are choosing to do, and could stop any time :)  You always have the option to QSP and atomsmash it, but if that's an exploit to you, then that is your call too.  Magma dumping seems to be a little more hazardous than it used to be, so drop from height or using minecarts to avoid magma mist.

Some mods tend to have either (1) less clothing etc for invaders (2) reactions to destroy / scavenge extra junk so you can look into those if you're interested.

The changes to binning AI does make them pick up stuff quite a bit more efficiently, although it causes new kinds of somewhat silly behavior that some people dislike more than the old behavior of picking up one thing at a time.  (specifically, taking a half-full bin out to the battlefield to add XsocksX to it, breaking the jobs of anyone wanting to use something already in the bin).  You can compensate once you learn how it works and make custom stockpiles with and without bins/barrels, although it sounds like you kind of hate doing that, so your mileage may vary!

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 04:47:55 pm »

also, caravans have lots to trade with, and if you have too much, than you can offer( not sure if new) or need for export thing
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 05:23:02 pm »

Thanks all.
Yeah it is something I choose to do and similarly I hate having it lie around.
Actually if caravans have enough to trade to get rid of it then I don't mind the haul! -Just I don't remember this being the case.

It's a weird minor OCD type tick that I feel wasteful just destroying most *theoretically* useful items like stone or goblin gear but then find myself with hordes of it that the traders can't afford to take from me and my processor power getting bogged down because I'm storing so much junk, etc.

Also last I recall it was too easy to become legendary in lots of skills which also destroyed barter economy.

Bah I dunno though - I guess I have to dive in and see for myself. Gettin' the itch -just a pain to relearn, get tile sets anew, etc. (Yeah -I can do ascii but I'd rather not personally)

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 06:19:04 am »

There are plenty of mods out there that might want to check out as well. Including making learning harder, or simplifying materials/items, as well as tile-sets to give things a different look.

I recently got back into it after a little over a year and am having a much easier time than I remember having back then. I still have issues with an overflow of items at times, but I'm getting a hang of it as I work back into the game.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 06:55:24 am »

clothing also became a required part of the fort, so the waste is less, but you'll have to deal with a lot of slightly worn clothing that gets discarded in favor of the new fashionable troll fur loincloth. Otherwise, yes, it's still way too easy to have way too much of way too many things

The most gameplay changing changes are;
the need for clothing, as they get angry really fast if something is lacking. Importing cloth and clothing (including the goblin christmas) is usually enough for small/medium forts
hauling changes:
minecarts and wheelbarrows, because:
objects gained weight. A rock will slow a dwarf down a lot without a wheelbarrow. A lead bin full of weapons will too
item collection; they'll pick a bin to add an item too, and will continue adding items as long as there are some near instead of picking things up one by one. However, they also bring the whole bin for one sock, or the whole barrel for one seed, causing angry farmer job cancelation as they needed a seed from that barrel etc.

I'm sure you know about the vampires and were beasts?

Oh right, imporant to mention is that magma flows a bit faster than before, which makes breaching a volcano a bit more dangerous. As mentioned in another post, items dropped in magma now create a mist that may rise several z-levels to burn whoever threw it in.

Many things got changed on falling objects too. They can nowdesribe parabole trajectories (that the right words?), bounce and skid. Falling traps became less lethal, but landing on someone else now causes damage to both. Wrestling sparring became a bit more dangerous again too, because when someone is 'thrown' they may crack their skull impacting a wall, or get hurt skidding across the floor. All falling objects may cause damage (see minecart shotgun to weaponize) and even falling seeds may prove lethal. Having someone dump stuff on the top and another pick up reclaimed stuff at the bottom is a sure way to keep the doctors busy
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 10:12:55 am »

correct word is parabolic. you were close :)

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 12:25:03 pm »

Trade caravans now have wagons, which I didn't see anyone else mention.

I'm not sure how important having lots of dwarves is to you, but the more wealth that goes out with the caravan, the more dwarves come to reside in your fort during migration waves. If you have lots of junk to get rid of, now that wagons are around, you can load up the incoming caravans with tons and tons of junk by giving them a great deal for the items you're buying. In turn, you'll get yourself more dwarves.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 12:49:30 pm »

back in the old days, the only thing i used quantum stockpiles were for junk and stone.  The stone issue has been mostly addressed by the updates, and you'll still want a garbage chute with probably magma or a smasher at the bottom.  The mining changes and the introduction of wheelbarrows for moving stone is pretty straightforward, but the new hauling system has some pitfalls for players new and old, even if you don't create a single minecart.  It mostly has to do with being able to set stockpiles to give to a workshop, which forbids the workshop of using any input materials from outside that stockpile or other stockpiles set to give to it.  There's also the issue of stockpiles being able to be set to only take from links, which can trip you up if you're not careful.  Lastly, the way dwarves use bags barrels and bins can throw you for a loop.  The most common issue is with seed bags.  The way to fix this is with two seed stockpiles.  Set seed stockpile A to have 0 barrels and take from anywhere, set stockpile B to take from A only (doesn't matter if B uses barrels i think).  Seeds will accumulate in B and be available for planting, and dwarves won't grab the seed bags from B when they pick up seeds from the kitchen (rendering them unavailable to planters and causing cancellation spam).

Thats like... 95% of it really.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 03:49:09 am »

ah, good point.

mining now has an even drop chance regardless of skill, 100% for gems, 25% for the rest. To balance this, the gain from making blocks or smelting ores has been quadruppled, so smelting 1 iron ore now brings 4 iron bars etc
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.