Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Doors as defense?  (Read 685 times)

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Doors as defense?
« on: June 13, 2013, 10:40:42 pm »

Will a door made of steel (and/or masterwork quality) last longer when being attacked by, say, trolls?
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doors as defense?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 10:49:28 pm »

Doors are terrible for defense. Any building destroyer will make short work of them. Raised drawbridges appear to be the best dynamic defense.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 10:58:22 pm »

Yes, I use drawbridges in critical locations, but there are spots where I want the ability to immediately seal an area. So in terms of how long they last, there is no difference between a crummy sandstone door and a masterwork steel door?
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

matskuman5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 11:23:20 pm »

Atleast I don't think theres any difference.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 11:38:43 pm »

Artifact doors can never be destroyed. (If they're a flammable substance like lignite or coal or something, if it catches alight, it'll burn forever.)

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 11:40:53 pm »

Artifact doors can never be destroyed. (If they're a flammable substance like lignite or coal or something, if it catches alight, it'll burn forever.)

Is there any way to ensure an artifact is both a door and made of flammable material? Because I have to guard a tomb with that, that would be awesome.

In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

kilozombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 11:42:38 pm »

You could force an artifact to be made out of certain materials ala Planepacked, but I have no idea how to specify anything else.

Oh, man, imagine getting a lignite weapon artifact. Set it on fire- bam, flaming sword. I don't think military would pick it up, though, but still.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 11:43:03 pm »

To my knowledge, material doesn't matter when it comes to building destroyers, but quality does.

However, if I was to place a door for defense, I would probably only use an artifact one; I've noticed they take a lot longer to get past, and they won't be destroyed, only disassembled.

Bonus points if you can set it on fire, so that those stupid trolls/MBs/etc. won't Will have !!FUN!! destroying it.

edit: damn, ninja'd. Oh well, I'll just use this opportunity to remind you all that while artifact doors are indestructible, they can still be uprooted from the ground.

While I'm at it,
You could force an artifact to be made out of certain materials ala Planepacked, but I have no idea how to specify anything else.

Oh, man, imagine getting a lignite weapon artifact. Set it on fire- bam, flaming sword. I don't think military would pick it up, though, but still.

The Deathgate succession game ended up with a flaming sword somehow, until it was accidentally atom-smashed, and everyone who touched it almost immediately ended up bleeding out because of their burns. IIRC, it killed at least a dozen haulers just to move it a few floors. Deathgate's labyrinthine design probably didn't help that much. Not even an adamantine-clad soldier could hold it for long, there was even a suggestion to mod in nether-cap armour at one point just to see if it was possible to pick it up.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:50:16 pm by BlackFlyme »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 11:45:43 pm »

Anyone set to pick up swords would attempt to equip it, then their arm would melt from the flame if I remember right. Haulers would also get set alight unless it was always carried in a non-flammable (Nether-cap/magma-safe) bin.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 12:41:26 am »

To my knowledge, material doesn't matter when it comes to building destroyers, but quality does.

However, if I was to place a door for defense, I would probably only use an artifact one; I've noticed they take a lot longer to get past, and they won't be destroyed, only disassembled.

Disappointing about the material, but good to know about the quality - and artifact doors, if you are lucky enough to get them... Thank you kindly, sir.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 06:17:14 am »

building destroyers tend to destroy from 1 square distance away, so won't catch fire while destroying a burning door
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.