Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Only one dwarf collecting webs  (Read 1361 times)

Xolroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Only one dwarf collecting webs
« on: June 12, 2013, 09:42:58 pm »

I can see why this would happen, but it does seem rather stupid to me.  If you've got idle dwarves, and "collect webs" set on repeat, multiple dwarves should go out to get webs until there are none left.

Putting a bug report here because Mantis is refusing to send my confirmation email, and the bug report forum is closed.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Re: Only one dwarf collecting webs
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 10:17:53 pm »

Build several Looms.
Never pet a burning dog.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 11:46:41 pm »

^ That

If you only have one loom, then you only have one active "Collect Webs" job. It's not a bug, it's intended behavior; all the workshops work the same way. You can't pack ten masons into the same workshop to all make blocks at the same time, either.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Xolroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 10:34:35 am »

My point is that logically, since collecting webs doesn't involve actually being at the loom, multiple dwarves should be able to collect webs without requiring multiple looms.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 10:42:47 am »

and if your dwarfs don't have any place to turn it into thread when they get back, you would probably get constant job cancellation spam, see them drop the web, get caught in it if that actually makes it deploy, and break free... thus destroying the web.

which would be a much more annoying and wasteful way of only being able to generate one (useful) web collection job per loom, so... personally, i prefer the version where only one job is generated per loom.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 11:45:07 am »

and if your dwarfs don't have any place to turn it into thread when they get back, you would probably get constant job cancellation spam, see them drop the web, get caught in it if that actually makes it deploy, and break free... thus destroying the web.

which would be a much more annoying and wasteful way of only being able to generate one (useful) web collection job per loom, so... personally, i prefer the version where only one job is generated per loom.

No, they would just dump the web in the loom and leave it there for a dwarf with a bin to retrieve (in older versions, they would carry it to a bin themselves).  I build looms right next to clusters of webbing (where a GCS was recently slain) and don't allow weaving at those looms, and the resulting thread gets piled into bins and carried up to the weaver stockpile just fine.

Once the dwarf picks up the web, it becomes a thread, and it can't change back under any circumstances.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 12:20:44 pm »

Does changing the auto collect webs order help?
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 12:32:43 pm »

Does changing the auto collect webs order help?

If you want to do what I do, you have to disable both auto collect and auto loom, to prevent them from showing up in the same workshop.  Building the web collection loom(s) next to the webs is nice because each web collection job takes much less time, but it's still only one job at a time per loom.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.