Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to deal with traders blocking migrants?  (Read 624 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to deal with traders blocking migrants?
« on: June 10, 2013, 04:56:03 pm »

Every migrant wave I get, they are blocked by traders. I've looked, but I haven't seen a way to get them to move (besides when the dwarf caravan comes). Here are a few ideas I've had, although I have not tested them:
Build a bridge over them
Wall off the sides of the map, then have some kind of trap at the one access point
Drive a minecart into them
Build a ballista and fire it at them
Release a caged goblin in a glass containment area nearby, to scare them into moving

Would any of them work?

Edit: If none of these work or no one has tried, SCIENCE (and maybe !!!SCIENCE!!!) needs to be done.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:07:42 pm by TheDarkStar »
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
Re: How to deal with traders blocking migrants?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 07:23:09 pm »

Bridge: "McUrist cancels Construct Building: blasted trader won't move his lazy arse."
"Walling" off the edges of the map (using raised bridges, since actual walls have to be several tiles away from the edge) and leaving trapped openings would work. You could even "trap" the openings with atom smashers, as long as you build them before there's someone standing in the way. This has the added benefit (boredom-inducement?) of letting you smash ambushes and sieges as soon as they show up, since they'll only spawn at open map edges, which you choose and trap to your liking.
Minecarts and ballistae would both work. Minecart would be more accurate and more effective, I think.
Contained hostiles nearby should scare them off as you said, just make sure to build the containment area out of fortifications; constructed walls, even when made of glass, are opaque.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 04:54:40 am »

Or just use the mighty magic of DFhack fixmigrant.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 05:38:13 am »

With current development doctrine (eternal beta(or is it alpha?), prioritizing new mechanics over new features and new features over balance and balance over bugs, EXTREMELY long iterations, EXTREMELY small development team...) the use of DFHack, binary patches, tools and utilities from modding subforum and a little bit of raws editing (vampire thirst, dragon child tag, etc...) is no longer optional. I would suggest downloading the latest LNP compilation and investigating what all those commands in DFHack do. turns out most of them are not cheats, but a valuable tool for fixing your game when anything goes bananas.

PatientRock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 06:43:49 am »

Easiest solution. Have one of your melee squads target the trader. Right as the squad gets close, cancel the kill order. It'll chase off the trader, undoing the blockade. The trader will still like you.
I am expert at Giant Badger training.