Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HOw about the easyest one Filling HOLES  (Read 1018 times)

eclipse412

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HOw about the easyest one Filling HOLES
« on: June 05, 2013, 08:44:48 pm »

It would be great to fill in holes with dirt. Dug a hole removed the water now want to fill in where the water was. I really don't get why this isn't implemented yet. Just make it so it has to be just like the tile next to it. No need to get all crazy with dirt mounds!!!
Fix it CHOP CHOP!!!!

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
Re: HOw about the easyest one Filling HOLES
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 11:49:21 pm »

Though I like dirt (as one can farm in dirt). Walls and floors are effective for filling in and covering up holes. I always dig a channel for my farms in the soil layer and cover it up with a floor. This allows me to grow outdoor plants indoors quickly without having to build a bunch of walls and floor tiles to cover those walls.  But I still like the idea for the dirt. I would certainly much rather filling some holes with dirt to covering them up with precious blocks.

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 12:01:05 am »

It would be great to fill in holes with dirt. Dug a hole removed the water now want to fill in where the water was. I really don't get why this isn't implemented yet. Just make it so it has to be just like the tile next to it. No need to get all crazy with dirt mounds!!!
Fix it CHOP CHOP!!!!

I believe that the issue is that this would change the balance of the game by making aquifers trivial.  You might be able to get around that by making any "filled in" area act like an aquifer if near water due to it not being very compacted, but that would likely require a substantial change to the way the game stores tiles.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 12:09:38 am »

I believe that the issue is that this would change the balance of the game by making aquifers trivial.  You might be able to get around that by making any "filled in" area act like an aquifer if near water due to it not being very compacted, but that would likely require a substantial change to the way the game stores tiles.
Perhaps aquifers could convert adjacent dirt/sand into more aquifers? Aquifers would need to be surrounded by aquicludes to prevent rampant spreading.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

nwob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 09:54:15 am »

This appears to be another case of 'it seems simple on the surface but in reality raises all kinds of problems'.  I agree that it seems like kind of a no-brainer though.

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 11:42:28 am »

This fits into people bitching about the possibility of enemy sappers do to the fact that they would would screw with their precious aesthetics. One of the top solutions is to use dirt to fill the tunnels back in. Of course, when it comes to that I'd prefer to put a spike trap in the tunnel, block it on my end with a fortification and place a ballista there, all to take advantage of gobo stupidity. Bonus for using a gobo in the repeater mechanism for the trap.

Back on topic, it does make sense but all aquifer compatible materials should be treated as aquifers tiles when aquifers are present, within reasonable constraints of course(you don't want to have the surface and first underground layer to go aquifer............ all right, Rumrusher WOULD. Freaking nut-job.)
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 07:13:14 pm »

Heck, one might as well scrap the old aquifer system in exchange for a more realistic one by that point. (My favorite idea, which I may have come up with, is basically to let water flow through certain substances, in less-than-7 quantities, and have it flow through the soil like that; aquifers would be the upper level of the natural water.)

But, back on track: Suggested before, please search before making suggestions.

In any case, I'd imagine that there is some kind of technical issue and/or a plan to do this at some point when tiles are overhauled.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.