Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magitech World Conquest (reservations and discussion)  (Read 1060 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magitech World Conquest (reservations and discussion)
« on: July 05, 2013, 08:20:14 am »

This is Magitech conquest/research game inspired by Gurren Lagann.

I have not thought this through.

I finally got around to watching Gurren Lagann. I watched episode 13 (with a giant bipedal land-battleship-mech doing unlikely things), and was promptly inspired and realized that we need a forum game where the players research magitech, ignore physics, and build improbable weapons of war.

I think a cooperative game would work better, both to make balancing easier. and for better battles (PlayerA's wing of phase-stutter fighter/bombers destroys PlayerB's wing of shielded missile-spam tanks. End).

I'm thinking two consumable resources, metal and mana crystals, as well as IC and population. I'm undecided on a simple map with general blobs of territory, a province-divided map, or a Hexographer map. Tied to the map are battles, which would probably only be played out for important sites and on a small hex map (HOMM-ish battles). Or it would be easier and faster to just draw the general layout, have the players give one round of orders, then have the results mostly in text.

Then there's the scenario. I thought of three, each with magictech being a new thing: Starting at the outskirts of a decaying centuries-old magocratic empire (Hard to balance believably, even if they're fragmented), exiled to another plane, or sent out as imperialistic colonists.

Ideas? Discussion? Usurpation by someone who's more likely to finish it?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Magitech World Conquest (reservations and discussion)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 08:24:40 am »

I have not thought this through.
...At least you admit it.

I'd suggest Hexographer, if you can put in the effort. I wouldn't mind giving general orders and then having the command statistics of the field officers determine in part how well the battle goes.

I don't much mind the scenario, although the "exiled-to-another-plane" thing sounds like it would work better as a cooperative game.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magitech World Conquest (reservations and discussion)
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 11:39:25 am »

as long as we can pierce the heavens I'm in.

Glad to see you finally watch TTGL tbh. At least isn't something that You will (not) understand.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 11:42:15 am by evilcherry »