Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ghost.. but.. can't memorialize?  (Read 881 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
ghost.. but.. can't memorialize?
« on: June 08, 2013, 06:35:49 am »

I was just checking my unit list.. down to 2 forgotten beasts..but I noticed an undead..a ghost.
I checked the name, ran off to my workshop to make a slab, but can't find the name anywhere on the list. All dwarves are entombed, and no one is showing as not..
I scrolled the entire list twice and can't find the name there at all (oh why doesn't this one have a search???)

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Re: ghost.. but.. can't memorialize?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 06:42:49 am »

It's bug that happens sometimes. IIRC DFHack has a tool to fix it, command "tweak" or something like that.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 06:59:27 am »

that got rid of it it..sort of..it's still on the list.. but the ghost seems gone and when I center it, it centers on the corner of the map..
not sure what that means.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 09:05:21 am »

If a guard for a caravan got killed while in the embark they can leave a ghost who can't be slabbed. 

In my one fort's case he fell into a magma pit while fighting off a goblin attack - no body to recover.  Luckily he wasn't a violent haunt, so he became a sort of mascot.  And the fort's morale was generally good enough to handle the bad thoughts that arose from encountering him in the tunnels.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 11:39:20 pm »

after a short time, he disappeared from the list. So it seems okay now. It was definitely a dwarf, said he was a spear dwarf. He must have been a caravan guard. but I couldn't even find him anywhere on the dead/deceased or anything else list. Very strange.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 12:19:35 am »

It's a known bug. Caravan guards and possibly dwarven merchants, when killed, do not show up on the dead/missing list and cannot be slabbed. If you can't bury them for whatever reason, they come back as ghosts inevitably. You learn to deal with it.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 10:17:41 am »

It's bug that happens sometimes. IIRC DFHack has a tool to fix it, command "tweak" or something like that.
Code: [Select]
tweak clear-ghostlyIt's described as "[...] works, but is potentially very dangerous".  I've never had any problems with using it.  I used it a lot in the game where rampaging zombies massacred every caravan to set foot upon the map for several years.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 11:44:39 am »

iirc hosts can eventually die of old age

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 11:54:36 am »

I know from personal experience that using tweak clear-ghostly does not clear the "this tile is occupied by a creature" flag, preventing you from ever building constructions and I think buildings on that tile, and any creature that paths through it will be forced to lie down. I don't know about other weirdness, but I'm sure it exists.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread