Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why are ducks so tiny?  (Read 2068 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Why are ducks so tiny?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 03:55:59 am »

Well, looking at the raws, it seems they do account for genetics in some things.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why are ducks so tiny?
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 02:24:05 pm »

In a realistic mod I'd be thinking in terms of setting things so an average wild duck (mallard, etc.) produces 1 meat and 1 fat, and a domestic duck produces at least 2 & 2.  On the flip side, stock chickens probably produce too much meat, and certainly too much fat; these were probably based on more modern values rather than medieval ones. 

From a culinary standpoint, ducks have a much higher proportional fat content than chickens; this is why many excellent duck dishes either feature something else that benefits from cooking with extra fat (onions are particularly popular), or some sort of accompaniment designed to sop up the fatty juices.  I'd be thinking in terms of dropping chickens to maybe 4 meat, 3 fat, and ducks at 2 meat, 3 fat perhaps? 

Note that anything that is fortress-raised right now is seriously bugged; the game is not properly sizing up things from baby to child to adult reliably (see this thread for Science and details). 
Pages: 1 [2]