Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do you have a savegame with extinct dwarven civilizations?  (Read 2434 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do you have a savegame with extinct dwarven civilizations?
« on: June 07, 2013, 11:37:40 am »

Quite a few people have mentioned those, but I have never been able to make it happen myself. Could you share yours? I'd love a small and contained fort where I struggle to survive against all other nations and creatures...

Alternatively, can you give me pointers on how to make this happen?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have a savegame with extinct dwarven civilizations?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 11:47:27 am »

I've had it happen before, I don't have the save anymore or remember how I did it. But, I think part of it was that I baked it for a while. Another might be having "playable civ required" not set to yes
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 11:58:07 am »

I have done this before.  It is *VERY* hard.

The easiest way to gen a world where dwarves go extinct, is to make only one cavern layer, and turn megabeasts and titans up to astronomical proportions.

I could probably generate such a world for you, if you really want one.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 12:03:37 pm »

Quite a few people have mentioned those, but I have never been able to make it happen myself. Could you share yours? I'd love a small and contained fort where I struggle to survive against all other nations and creatures...

It's very simple.

Create a world with a biome that all "nice" civs will not start in (swamp or badlands) and generate just enough mountains for a single mountainhome, and then add 5 more civs.  The other 5 civs will be goblin, and they will wipe out your dwarves quite efficiently.  If you want a sample, let me know.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 12:05:46 pm »

I have done this before.  It is *VERY* hard.

The easiest way to gen a world where dwarves go extinct, is to make only one cavern layer, and turn megabeasts and titans up to astronomical proportions.

I could probably generate such a world for you, if you really want one.

I have a few concerns with this setup. I really want to have multiple caves to explore. Tame crundles for all!

Also, I really want the megabeasts... but I'm worried that they would make other civilizations also go extinct.

Then again, that doesn't sound so bad! Sieges would mostly be about attrition anyways. So if I "fix" a few megabeasts (make dragons breed, I think there was also something wrong with Rocs), and let it run to 1500 or so, would most intelligent species die out? That sounds fun :D

I feel like a noob asking this... but is it possible to gen an embark with both obsidian and flux?

It's very simple.

Create a world with a biome that all "nice" civs will not start in (swamp or badlands) and generate just enough mountains for a single mountainhome, and then add 5 more civs.  The other 5 civs will be goblin, and they will wipe out your dwarves quite efficiently.  If you want a sample, let me know.

Yes please
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 12:12:45 pm »

Here you go.
Spoiler: extinction worldgen (click to show/hide)
That creates a world with 1 extinct dwarven civ, and 5 goblin civs.  It generated with no rejections, so it should work on Linux as well as Win7.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 12:13:38 pm »

If you turn volcanism waaaaaaaaaay up, reduce number of mountains to the bare minimum as vjek suggests, and also set min/max elevation to only be 100 apart, the worldgen spinner will bitch and moan like an ex-wife, but will (if you allow rejections) eventually generate a world where volcanic features lie directly adjacent to sedementary features.

For instance, I genned a volcano, standing out in the middle of a perfectly pancake flat field, that has red sand, fireclay, marble, and obsidian all on the same embark.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 12:17:50 pm »

An option is to remove [ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUNM] from the dwarves' entry in the raws, no vistors from the mountain home at all except for the first two hard-coded waves.

I'm curently messing with an embark that will force the first two migrant waves into a sort of obsidian limbo while still allowing sieges - gonna try playing it tonight.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 12:29:47 pm »

dragons and rocs breed in world gen. its just usually that you megabeast count is so low that they get wiped out real quick and never have a chance to breed combined with the fact that is also the max number of megabeasts at any given time they won't breed if they are at that level

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 12:30:36 pm »

Erratum*

when I said "it is very hard", I meant "it is very hard to play", not "it is very hard to make".

If you don't want all other civs to be gobbos, you can just turn the savagry up, mountains down, peaks down, forests and plains up, turn up titans and megabeasts, and then turn the # of civs way up.

Elves on savage biomes will have giant creature pets, which will help them survive worldgen, even with the titans.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 12:59:03 pm »

The only time I've ever heard of this happening was Deathgate. I guess you could just go through that thread and grab one of their saves... if you want a fortress built out of pure, unrefined madness. Also, they kinda broke... everything. Including someone's computer, IIRC.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 01:48:14 pm »

I can give you save (small world, 125 years history, all other races there but dwarves exist, I've got embark location with obsidian, flux and iron) if you want. I don't really know how I got dwarves go extinct. I think it was just because of randomity of the world gen. But I've seen that smaller worlds make it more probably to get dead Dwarven civilization.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 01:52:43 pm »

I can give you save (small world, 125 years history, all other races there but dwarves exist, I've got embark location with obsidian, flux and iron) if you want. I don't really know how I got dwarves go extinct. I think it was just because of randomity of the world gen. But I've seen that smaller worlds make it more probably to get dead Dwarven civilization.

Yes please!

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 02:19:10 pm »

Yes please!

There is some dead dwarves for you. It's not perfectly clean world, because there is my abadonded fortress. (I copied my main save and abadonded the fort in other one so I could check legends, there is pretty sad stuff with dwarves...). It's slightly modded, I made other races build towns & things so adventuring would be more interesting. In the south there lies many hamlets of elves just waiting to be killed...