Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Safe Magma Tapping in 0.34  (Read 11124 times)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Safe Magma Tapping in 0.34
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 02:37:22 am »

Other 100% way for volcanos (magma sea should be easy to channel..)

Dig a simple 1x1 shaft from the top of the volcano to the level you desire magma at. Channel the top level of the volcano, magma drops down shaft to desired level. Add a pump for anti-evaporation or pressure control, if desired.

That way should be 100% no matter what Toady does to flow speed or pressure or whatever.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 02:48:28 am »

I'm using that method and had already figured out the method of the OP. Good to see it posted though
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 03:19:06 am »

I'd put the floodgate lever 1 level above to be safe from magma due to a sock in the open 2nd door

Blah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 03:33:19 am »

I much prefer this method because it's safe, allows adjustments later and greatly speeds up magma flow due to the pump

1) Dig a 4x1 space for a pump next to the magma shaft.
2) Channel out tile 1 and tile 4.
3) Smooth and carve a fortification towards the magma shaft under tile 1.
4) Install a pump
5) Deliver magma to tile 4 where it drops into the shaft that will bring it to its destination

There are no destroyable parts aside from the pump. If the pump is destroyed, at most only 1 tile of magma will be uncontained. There's also a fortification that prevents fire imps and other beasts from entering (do magma men still exist?)

A pump-less variation of the above can also easily be made with a 2x1 space instead of a 4x1, and then simply channeling tile 2 instead of installing a pump.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:46:34 am by Blah »

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 04:11:07 am »

Has anyone tried to to this with high pressure water?

graklyn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 05:57:00 am »

So a couple of things I forgot to mention in my OP:

I prefer this method as opposed to channeling or fortifications because you can control the amount of magma via the floodgate.  It also works for keeping creatures of the magma sea out of your magma storage.  Once your magma reservoir is full, shut the floodgate.  (I guess technically you could put in a floodgate with the other methods and leave it open while your miner / engraver bails).

Also it was pointed out to me that non-magma safe doors could be used as long as magma doesn't actually get into the same space as the door.  Tested it with palm wood doors and it seemed to work.  However, I like to err on the side of caution.  Also I realized my numbers were off.  I counted my second door when it's technically not required.

Regarding pressurized water, it seems to work exceptionally well.  Breached the bottom of the ocean this way, perfectly safe. Breached it a second time without any protection, instantly flooded a 20x1 hallway with 7/7 salt water.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 10:54:18 am »

Where are the 6 magma-safe stones used? I see one for the floodgate, one for the mechanism in the floodgate, and maybe one for the door.

2 more for mechanism attaching floodgate to lever. Thats 5.
He used a second door. 6
Yeah, but the second door isn't part of the core design (in this case it could be replaced with a wall and some stairs or ramps leading to the level above). You only need one magma-safe mechanism for the floodgate. The mechanism in the lever and the lever itself don't need to be magma-safe unless you're planning on letting magma onto the lever tile.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 12:36:21 pm »

I found that if the "poke hole" is also a 1x wide channel with the slope wall that leads to a floor one zlevel up which is the preferred exit path, even a moron miner/mason will be able to escape unharmed.

This is how I got magma out of the volcano and into my magma glass furnaces safely.

Personally, as an addendum to this plan above, instead of diagonal mined tile next to the floodgate, turn it into a fortification. This will keep fire imps and magma crabs from pooping bassalt and flaming flatulence on your furnace operators.

Better idea:  Forget that, and instead build the impassable tile of your workshops over the channel to power them.  But *GASP* this means you have to plan ahead and build your workshops in an efficient pattern or you need a very large room - with magma under it all for them.

I stil had magma crabs poop basalt on my glass makers, despite doing exactly that earlier. I had to savescum and reinvent the magma powersource for my furnace rooms so that it used a fortification instead of a poke hole.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 04:52:59 am »

Regarding pressurized water, it seems to work exceptionally well.  Breached the bottom of the ocean this way, perfectly safe. Breached it a second time without any protection, instantly flooded a 20x1 hallway with 7/7 salt water.

Yup, works perfectly fine for the ocean, I've done it to dig ocean-drains in the past (complete with the door). Diagonal abuse is a wonderful thing. I also use it triggering cave-in's safely, because dust can't travel through diagonals while dwarves can deconstruct through a diagonal. I happen to have a pic handy of how exactly to do this (in this case, dropping a 4x4 plug to pierce an aquifer)

Make cave-ins utterly safe [for the triggerer] without messing around with a support and lever.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 09:05:27 pm »

The original method may or may not (read: did) kill everyone I ever loved. Oh well, you learn new things every day.

alexjj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 03:29:09 pm »

Necroing I know but it's listed on the Dwarven Knowledge Centre and the images showing the vital part of this thread in the first post are missing...

Perhaps someone would like to share them again or some other method...
Pages: 1 [2]