Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The great Arena  (Read 840 times)

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
The great Arena
« on: June 06, 2013, 02:15:28 pm »

It's been a long project of mine to do a fortress in which I can entertain my dwarfs. Unfortunately, I still miss some knowledges (and a new computer...) to be able to make this happen on a bigger scale.

So, yea, questions...

1) Can prisoners die of starvation or dehydration? Never seen it but I guess it would be plausible they die one day.

2) How far can civilian be of a fight to not run in fear? Will I need place them in active squads so I can fill the balcony of my arena? It ain't a match if no one is watching...

3) I guess clocks and repeater aren't to rough to make. I might need to make make spike trap that sprout out of the ground avery X ticks, no to fast to avoid stopping the fight to early.

4) The animal stockpile is a fucking mess. Is there any way to separate regular fauna, half man half animals, invaders and beast, colossus, dragons and FB? Searching in the animal stockpile list is an horrid thing to do.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The great Arena
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 02:32:42 pm »

1) if the prisoner is a member of your civ, yes.  Otherwise, no.

2) It depends.  Civilians will run from any invaders they can see (unless chained).  Stuff like crundles or giant earthworms they have a much higher tolerance for being near (but will be interrupted at short range).

3) totally doable.

4) no, the stockpile list allows you to specify used or unused cages, and also lists everygoddamn creature that exists (including every variety of forgotten beast, night creature, and demon).  One option would be to have a giant "everything" stockpile, and then have a goblin-only stockpile take from that.  You still have to mess with the list, but you would only need to find goblins once.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
Re: The great Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 04:45:16 pm »

4) protip: if you're playing on a large enough window (I play full-screen) then twelve Page-Up presses on the animal stockpile screen gets you to the top of the Sentients portion of the list: dwarves, goblins, humans, trolls, etc. I don't know why those are so much closer to the bottom than to the top, but there it is.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.