Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal trainers won't train  (Read 6091 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Animal trainers won't train
« on: June 03, 2013, 02:53:14 pm »

So, suddenly, my animal trainers just won't train. I haven't changed anything at all, not a single setting or cage/chain assignment or zone, but suddenly my animal trainers won't train. They're just letting all the animals revert to semi-wild, and it was spontaneous.

They'll train wild animals, and retrain them once they revert back to wild, but they won't maintain training. I've got a Roc that's become semi-wild, I need help fast!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 03:17:11 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Ace_Rooster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Animal trainers won't train
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 03:20:31 pm »

I would start by checking the training zone is still a training zone and still active, I have spent far too long raging at dwarfs not doing something because I pressed 'a' on a zone by mistake. Then probably check I haven't pastured them somewhere outside the training area (not sure if it makes a difference, but I usually train them where they stay). After that it depends on what you are training, check you have meat or plants available, depending on creature. Only other thing that springs to mind could be all your trainers are busy, as I think they only get called urgently to semi-wilds. Been a while since I ran a monitor lizard farm, so I could be remembering badly.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 03:24:58 pm »

They're not busy, I've got hundreds of everything, and the zone is active. I really can't understand why this is happening. They were training them earlier, I literally have not changed anything.

matskuman5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 03:30:23 pm »

I've got the same problem. It sometimes fixes itself though (not sure why).

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 04:04:03 pm »

Wild guess - maybe there is a training "queue" set up internally, and they are waiting for the right animal to free up for more training

EDIT: Check active tasks. What's the button for that, again?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 04:17:55 pm »

J. And "train animal" isn't listed in there anywhere. They just wait for it to revert to wild, then go tame it again, instead of maintaining the training, there isn't even a task for it.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 04:20:51 pm »

J. And "train animal" isn't listed in there anywhere. They just wait for it to revert to wild, then go tame it again, instead of maintaining the training, there isn't even a task for it.

I'm fairly certain that's how it works, until the animal is domesticated. +trained+ can take longer to revert.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 04:49:40 pm »

I'm fairly certain that's how it works, until the animal is domesticated. +trained+ can take longer to revert.

But they're not domesticating the trained ones, either. I've got several creatures that are the children of trained wild animals (as only descendants and not the original animals can be truly domesticated) but they won't go upgrade them to domesticated. Actually, they did one right now, but refuse to do any others.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 06:23:11 pm »

Animal training seems to be done on some kind of schedule much of the time, i.e. trainers won't go through their list and train the 'least tame' creature, but rather wait for some timer or whatever to tick and generate a new 'train animal' job.

As you said, trainers will quickly go and tame a wild creature, but reinforcement training happens slowly and in long intervals (long enough that a 'trained' animal can go semi-wild and completely wild before the next session is due).

Are your animals actually outside of cages? I have noticed that trainers will _never_ reinforce training of a currently-caged animal (but will train chained animals, i think); they'll re-tame them once they're wild, that's it.

If you lack confidence in your trainers getting to the semi-wild roc before it goes feral, you can simply order it stuffed into a cage. Then wait for it to go wild and the trainers should go and retame it.

Regarding domestication of animals - if an animal _species_ is listed as 'domesticated', a single training session will domesticate an exemplar taken from the wild. They only present a minority of animals you'll encounter, but e.g. the water buffalos found in subtropic/tropic wetlands will become fully 'tame' when tamed by an animal trainer.
I'm not totally certain, but i think it's the 'child' status that makes fort-born animals tameable - i.e. a pup/cub/kitten/child of an animal can be made fully tame with a successful training job, regardless of whether it started at *trained* (born from a half-domesticated mother) or wild. An animal child which did not receive training before becoming adult cannot be made fully tame.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 06:31:32 pm »

They're all pastured or chained inside of the training zone. Suddenly the trainers decided to domesticate 3 of the ravens, while the roc has been in a cage forever (and only recently re-trained, after going feral).

If they ignore the Roc again, though, it will go badly, since I just let her out and she claimed a nest box.

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 03:04:55 pm »

what are the trainers skill levels? the game may check the list more frequently for higher skills

"ach, little "Tiny" needs a treat!"
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 03:25:39 pm »

This has happens to me regularly. I've been looking off and on for weeks for a cause, or to see if it's a repeatable bug. Often I see my Animal Trainers training the animal a number of times, stopping until it goes wild, start training again, and repeat.

EDIT: My current theory is that it has something to do with the civ/site animal knowledge level and the trainer's skill in Animal Training. The more skilled an animal trainer I have, the closer they get an animal to domesticated before stopping and letting it revert to wild.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 03:31:10 pm by PrimusRibbus »
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 03:05:02 am »

All my trainers are Professional or above, with 2 Grand Masters. There are 5 trainers, so maybe about 3 or so animals between them, if that.

I had to dump the Roc's eggs and cage her to prevent a disaster. For some reason, eggs just don't seem to be hatching, except for the turkeys, despite also having a male Roc. I don't know if it's a related bug. Perhaps training interrupts nest time.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 03:07:44 am »

Perhaps training interrupts nest time.

Yes, unfortunately it does :(.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 03:12:01 am »

Perhaps training interrupts nest time.

Yes, unfortunately it does :(.

And then again, she didn't actually get trained in that time. Come to think of it, my (Tame) animals aren't hatching either, except for the turkeys.