Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't place any magma smelters after removing two working ones  (Read 544 times)

Rockmole

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

So I had two working magma smelters and a magma forge in one room. I deconstructed all three buildings and plugged the open space holes (b-C-f) with floor tiles.

Then I removed the floor tiles (d-n) and rebuilt the magma forge (b-w-v) without issues in the same location, but the magma smelters (b-e-l) kept saying blocked when I tried to rebuild them in their old locations. I tried digging new holes (d-h) into the open space below but any magma smelter I try to place now says blocked.

I'm trying to place them in this way, same way I always place them.

XXX
XXX
XXX

The bold X is where the open space is.

I've even tried digging out the room above the lava sea to see if I could do it on brand new space, but it got me nowhere except having a bunch of plugged holes with floor tiles.

Edit: Added the commands I used to no one thinks I'm screwing that up. I'm using vanilla df with Phoebus graphics. Never used dfhack or any other mod besides sprites.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 02:39:07 pm by Rockmole »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Can't place any magma smelters after removing two working ones
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 05:31:36 pm »

Got a screenshot of the forge area?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 12:21:52 pm »

Just a guess, but perhaps the deconstruction-teleportation bug has loaded one of tiles with items that are causing problems? Perhaps some forbidden items that dwarves can't move out of the way? I'm not even sure if the teleportation bug will move forbidden items.

Rockmole

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 12:32:44 pm »

http://imgur.com/a/jxcNP#0

Here are two pictures of the z-level with the workshop room, and the below z-level containing lava. I have used d-n to try and highlight where I had holes for the workshops, now covered by floor tiles.

The magma forge is rebuilt but in the 2 places closest to the forge, to the North and East, I had two magma smelters.

Later I tried expanding the room and building an additional two magma smelters to the South and farther East. So in the two new locations there were no items strewn about at all.

The pile of items to the north of the magma forge consists of a Silver mace, some diorite and steel greaves. I don't know why those clothing items are there.

Edit: Confused West with East...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:36:33 pm by Rockmole »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 02:40:12 pm »

If it says 'blocked' and doesn't let you designate the building, that means the building location is invalid. Either there's a building in the way, or a floor obstacle, on the central tile is not on solid floor (the last is special for magma workshops - unlike most other workshops, part of a magma workshop 'can' be constructed over open floor, but the central tile must be supported properly). Make sure the magma hole is under the 'unwalkable' tile and not the central tile and that you're not accidentally trying to build part of your smelter over the forge. The 'blocked' display normally marks whatever does the 'blocking' in a bright red, too. If nothing seems to help, just move the designation around a bit and see if it clears up.

Loose items don't prevent the _designation_ of a workshop; it may take a while for the builders to actually get all the junk out of the way and if something can't be moved, the job will be suspended, but the designation can be placed without trouble. And deconstruction-teleportation moves _everything_, flags are completely irrelevant.

Rockmole

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 02:54:53 pm »

The 'blocked' display normally marks whatever does the 'blocking' in a bright red, too. If nothing seems to help, just move the designation around a bit and see if it clears up.

Bah, I was just going to show you that my blocked tile was the open space tile where the magma was, which I was of course placing under the unwalkable tile of the smelter.

But when I started DF to take the screenshot for you, suddenly I can place magma smelters where I could not place them before.

So case closed, I just tried two of the 4 locations that did not work before and they work fine now. All I did between the last screenshots where it didn't work was close DF, open it again and remove the floor tiles I put over the open spaces. :/

Edit: Picture proof: http://imgur.com/a/r5oBy#0
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:56:41 pm by Rockmole »

ScegfOd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 09:37:34 pm »

wait, you can build magma workshops over magma WITHOUT an open tile?  :o
I didn't think you could do that...
Why you kids feed troll?
We're just keeping it around so we can harvest its fur.